Some Late Game Questions (Owning Multiple Lands)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello!

Some of you might recall an earlier post of mine that I was doing a historical based Youtube LP for the Roman Empire of Nicaea.

At the time I didn't know much about the game but now about 70 hours later I feel like this mod completes me. I am addicted and running around as a Byzantine lord reconquering the Empire is pretty much wish fulfillment at its finest. I have some questions I have developed while playing, and I would very much appreciate it if those of you experts out there would answer one or a few of them. I know it's a lot of questions so even a little help would be appreciated.

1) My lands yield terrible amounts of money. I would suspect that historically nobles derived much of their income from their lands and not by traveling the world winning tournaments, which is the easiest way I have found to raise funds. I also sell the goods my manors produce. Is there a way to increase the value of your lands? I own Constantinople, Ankara, and Sardis village w built castle, and they don't even pay for their garrisons. I know if you set taxes high for your manors they lose prosperity and population. How does the tax rate effect other lands like cities and villages? You have 5 to choose from (very low, low, med, high, very high) so they must do something. Does how much they like you influence the income? Sardis village likes me 100% but every time I stop by it says death is all over and the people are miserable, etc. Does selling goods to a city increase the prosperity?

2) Manors seem to have a shared tribute storage. So basically as you get more manors you have diminishing returns as your tribute storage fills up and then stops. Is this correct? Any way around this? God what I wouldn't give for a merchant character who sells the stuff my manor produces. Even if they took 10-15% as a wage I would still fully support it.

3) I have been running around with "severely damaged" armor for months now and it still seems to be working just fine. Is there any penalty to this? Armor in this mod is so expensive (like more than a castle...I mean really?) that I'm really in no hurry to buy new stuff due to #1 above. I heard you could fix armor with tools. Is this true and how is it done?

4) Can my wife do anything besides ask me to mend relations between lords, or is that all she's good for? Considering one lord ends up hating you at the end of that quest it doesn't really seem worth it to me.

5) Which lands are pagan (I want to get the three pagan companions)?

6) Which troops are statistically best for garrison duty both when you're there and remotely? I read somewhere spearmen are the best defenders. Is this true? I would think axemen and swordsmen, who are better overall, would be better. I also see that sieges where the attacker will get rocked in real time (if you are there defending) tend to succeed if you aren't there. Again, what is the optimal defense in this instance?

Finally, 7) After battles I tend to get about 3-4 really good helms (over 1000 gold) and maybe if I'm lucky one good sword but the rest is all crap. Does the mod just favor helms for some reason or will more party looting skill eventually yield better stuff like armor, gauntlets, and legwear? I'm just trying to determine if investing in looting to armor my companions and as a source of income is a good idea.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate any assistance!

My video series, if you're interested, is at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM7yEwbhGUoozkBCrw0ztCJQy8QkCo_2U

Best,

Marcus

1. At least during peace time, lowering taxes for a fief will speed up the process of gaining prosperity - and yes it affects income.
U can try to finish quests for ur town/castle villages - even if u don't own them, their prosperity affect the prosperity of towns/castles connected to them. This is what i do and it seems to work.

2. Got same problem :smile:

3.  Damaged item looses its modifier and revert to original value. Lordly mail boots will loose stats but funny enough, a battered one will actually gain armor due to that rule. Damaged item can BREAK ( its gone ) permanently during a fight so keep that in mind - if anything repair items for the role playing sake.

4. Got married and dint even get right to rule from it. Holding a feast/turnaments is her major "ability".

5. Smargonians, curonians... Check Kingdom religion to find out and grab one of its original fiefs - one they start with when u begin the game.

6. Swordsman ofc. Jev inf can do good work to. Main difference between swordsman and spearman is in weapon proficiency. Personally i see no reason to ever pick spear over swordsman. If i remember correctly, the english translation incorrectly switched the names of spearman and swordsman - u may want to check in game by asking troop about his stats.
I also avoid auto resolving battles. Buggy and gives unrealistic results.

7.Most troops do not wear gauntlets and so u wont find them in loot. On the other side, even low tier infantry make use of decent helmets... Yes, looting skill will help u get more items. Try to grab some weapons - from the ground - when the battle is about to end ( only with ur main character ) and they will be added to ur inventory after - if u survive.

Hope at least some of it was useful hehe

Have fun!

Thanks MortalDVall!

You mention "if anything repair items for the role playing sake.". One of my questions was how to do that. :smile:

I will go around the local villages and do some quests off camera to raise their prosperity so that mine will also increase. Thanks for the tip!

I have no idea what a smargonian or a curonian is :smile:. I will do as you suggest and check the kingdom info, but I assume it's people in the NE and Lithuania region - I hope.

I have seen spotty results with picking up weapons at the end of a battle. I tend to not keep them. Do you have to do it before the flag comes up and the note to press tab? Like in the middle of the battle? I have successfully stolen horses this way, but usually only when I need one because mine has be felled.

From what I can see, the swordsmen look like swordsmen and the spearmen likewise, so perhaps the translation has been fixed?

God I hope someone takes up the challenge and makes a historical mod like this for Bannerlord. I don't care about exact date as long as it's between say 400AD and 1300ish.

U can repair by selecting "walk around the streets" or something, and talking to armor/weaponsmith directly.

Yea, u need to pick items b4 the winning flag pops.

As for translation it may be me with old files - i mod this em... mod since last svn-dev versions and tend to update file by file etc.
Fact is that both troops use same weapons and look alike.

weird post but im tired w.e

gl hf !

MarcusAureliusLP said:
Hello!

Some of you might recall an earlier post of mine that I was doing a historical based Youtube LP for the Roman Empire of Nicaea.

At the time I didn't know much about the game but now about 70 hours later I feel like this mod completes me. I am addicted and running around as a Byzantine lord reconquering the Empire is pretty much wish fulfillment at its finest. I have some questions I have developed while playing, and I would very much appreciate it if those of you experts out there would answer one or a few of them. I know it's a lot of questions so even a little help would be appreciated.

1) My lands yield terrible amounts of money. I would suspect that historically nobles derived much of their income from their lands and not by traveling the world winning tournaments, which is the easiest way I have found to raise funds. I also sell the goods my manors produce. Is there a way to increase the value of your lands? I own Constantinople, Ankara, and Sardis village w built castle, and they don't even pay for their garrisons. I know if you set taxes high for your manors they lose prosperity and population. How does the tax rate effect other lands like cities and villages? You have 5 to choose from (very low, low, med, high, very high) so they must do something. Does how much they like you influence the income? Sardis village likes me 100% but every time I stop by it says death is all over and the people are miserable, etc. Does selling goods to a city increase the prosperity?

2) Manors seem to have a shared tribute storage. So basically as you get more manors you have diminishing returns as your tribute storage fills up and then stops. Is this correct? Any way around this? God what I wouldn't give for a merchant character who sells the stuff my manor produces. Even if they took 10-15% as a wage I would still fully support it.

3) I have been running around with "severely damaged" armor for months now and it still seems to be working just fine. Is there any penalty to this? Armor in this mod is so expensive (like more than a castle...I mean really?) that I'm really in no hurry to buy new stuff due to #1 above. I heard you could fix armor with tools. Is this true and how is it done?

4) Can my wife do anything besides ask me to mend relations between lords, or is that all she's good for? Considering one lord ends up hating you at the end of that quest it doesn't really seem worth it to me.

5) Which lands are pagan (I want to get the three pagan companions)?

6) Which troops are statistically best for garrison duty both when you're there and remotely? I read somewhere spearmen are the best defenders. Is this true? I would think axemen and swordsmen, who are better overall, would be better. I also see that sieges where the attacker will get rocked in real time (if you are there defending) tend to succeed if you aren't there. Again, what is the optimal defense in this instance?

Finally, 7) After battles I tend to get about 3-4 really good helms (over 1000 gold) and maybe if I'm lucky one good sword but the rest is all crap. Does the mod just favor helms for some reason or will more party looting skill eventually yield better stuff like armor, gauntlets, and legwear? I'm just trying to determine if investing in looting to armor my companions and as a source of income is a good idea.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate any assistance!

My video series, if you're interested, is at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM7yEwbhGUoozkBCrw0ztCJQy8QkCo_2U

Best,

Marcus
Its unfortunate but no one drops *legwear* on the battlefield.  :sad:
Sometimes I do get it in loot after battle. But its rare as hell. You get more often a masterwork then *legwear* of any sort. But I wage war in eastern Europe mostly, so I don't know if that's the case.

Pagan lands are Prussian, Curonian, Samagotian and the big Lithuania. Roughly the lands between Novgorod, Sweden, Teutons, Halych and Mongols. Watch out for their javelin showers!

The loot system is warband's worst feature and I have yet to see a mod that improved it much or at all.

@Batko - thanks! Not sure what events will lead us to conquer territory up there but I'll do my best :smile:

@Adrale - The loot system is just one part of the overall "how do I make more money" issue. Personally I feel if you have lands (especially cities, especially more than one) and you take care of them your income from those lands should be more than enough to go warring around without the need for tournaments, slavery,  loot, and selling your manor's goods (though I'm much happier at this point with that than without it :smile:  ). Ransoms I like as it's historically accurate. Prisoner swaps would be neat, too.

MarcusAureliusLP said:
@Batko - thanks! Not sure what events will lead us to conquer territory up there but I'll do my best :smile:

@Adrale - The loot system is just one part of the overall "how do I make more money" issue. Personally I feel if you have lands (especially cities, especially more than one) and you take care of them your income from those lands should be more than enough to go warring around without the need for tournaments, slavery,  loot, and selling your manor's goods (though I'm much happier at this point with that than without it :smile:  ). Ransoms I like as it's historically accurate. Prisoner swaps would be neat, too.

I agree. The income system in this mod just seems out of balance. The really good items in shops are incredibly expensive, which wouldn't be that bad if you got any kind of decent gear after a battle. I just defeated the King of Denmark and 4 of his Lords which totaled about 680 men against my 200. It completely wiped out my warband so I will have to go on a very expensive recruiting drive now, waiting and spending thousands of denars leveling up all the fresh troops. That's normal for warband though, but what really pisses me off is that with level 7 looting skill the most valuable item I got after the battle was a chipped falchion. How is that even ****ing possible with dead knights everywhere? There was also a cheap kettle hat with 40 head protection and a courser. The rest was broken garbage and dirty rags. 400 days in and I have yet to get a single piece of actual armor on a battlefield except 1 "maille" I got off some pirates. It's all aketons and gambesons and cracked spears and tattered **** rags. Even by warband standards which are horrible this mod just seems to provide the player with insulting trash after a hard fought battle. If giving my companions good armor, weapons and horses is going to cost upwards of 5 million denars it would be nice if I could equip them with something other than absolute utter crap in the meantime.

Just to confirm my prev statement : After taking care of my towns and villages belonging to them as well as preventing to many - if any - raids etc, my cities become "very rich" and are 2 most prosperous in Europe with income of 8 to 10 k each.

So its deff possible to  get ur fiefs efficient and profitable.

Will note that part of my tactic here to defend from raids was to use Manor marshal and raise 2 armies for patrols.  You will pay for them without any note in budget with only simple pop up "deducted x gold" 1ce a weak, so be careful.

You may be right but the dang emperor won't stop declaring war on people so I never have any time to do quests to get Constantinople and Ankara to like me more. Sardis Village adores me but they get raided. Also, is it necessary to stop all the pirates and bandits, as they just seem to keep coming.

I have some new questions if anyone is still following the thread:

1) Is it possible to change the name of your companions? I know you can do it in game but it won't stick. I know you can export them, change their stats, and import them back, but the files are named after their set name, so I'm afraid messing with that might make the game crash. Please let me know if anyone knows.

2) Are there any unique battle map models? I see basically the same ones reused but Colosca (in Hungary) looked really nice and I haven't seen any other like it. Too bad it actually is very poor at defense. Easiest wall assault I've ever had.  :roll:

3) I know that you can recruit Varangians in Constantinople (so awesome) and Genoese crossbowmen in Genoa. It appears you cannot recruit Cretan archers in Crete. Are there any other places with special troops in that location only?

4) Is there any was to speed up the end of a war besides the occasional town quest that asks you to do it. Or better yet prevent them from happening. I need a week or two to consolidate my lands and budgets.

Thanks! I hope some of you are able to check out the series, I'm having a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM7yEwbhGUoozkBCrw0ztCJQy8QkCo_2U

-Marcus

Not sure if i will be of much help here but will try to share what little more i know :

Part of the reason i can defend my fiefs is cuz i own Nicea, Constan and 3 other fiefs next to them. Try to get ur OWN fiefs next to each other and put on patrols. Also in lance recruitment system u dont want Ankara with MUSLIM troops so thats another reason not to expand "far away" from ur main fiefs.

Unique map battles are ON by default. You can disable them in mod option only not sure for what reason. What map u get depends on where on map u fight. So if u constantly engage in battle in same area u will get same battle maps.

Welsh archers in we all know where, Giorgian Lancers and archers around Ankara region, and more around the world map - just go and explore :smile:

4- in an akward <-- how u spell that ? way u can. If u got and deal a LOT of damage to enemy kingdom then ur King will see hes winning and will not want to peace out. Same will happen the other way around. If u want peace then try to bring to a stale mate state where the war do not bring gain to any side. Basically concentrate on defending ur own lands and do nto capture anything more. Act only to fight off enemy sieges - or perhaps let them take something if u think it will even out the "score". You need to think in game mechanic way during that and not "common sense". You wont ur AI king to peace out not a real person.

Almost forgo : You can change names of ur companions. Never did that but try to export them - change their name in the exportet file ( not the file name ) and import back. If that dosnt work then keep asking.

Think thats all

GL HF

The amount of "randomness" in this game makes it frustrating to make any concrete plans.Everything from faction declaring war,peace, your fiefs being siege while ignoring others,poor loot even with high loot skill,fief prosperity-its up then its down never constant despite of war or peace-all random.So I've given up on the management aspect of the game since it effectively doesn't exist.Don't even ask about "tax inefficiency".

My method of having a decent weekly pay is very risky and I only recommend using it in fiefs far away from enemy territories. I use cheap recruits usually costing 1 or 2 denars to garrison my towns.I own Egypt and Nicosia each have 1500 cheap recruits for garrison and so far I've been  lucky they haven't been siege.Even though sometimes the enemy AI absurdly targets your fiefs when others of your faction are closer,for example an English lord traveling all the way from England to Egypt just to loot my villages when my faction owns most of France and Spain(RIDICULOUS),despite this I think the over 1000 soldiers garrison lowers the chances of them getting siege.I get between 5k to 7k a week from Egypt with 1500 garrison costing only 1200.My manors set to  low taxes and visit them every 3 or 4 weeks for high wage pay;I no longer bother with them.

As for picking up items from battles, make sure you have room in your inventory and its easier from a town or castle siege-choose and  pick a weapon,take it.Its a cheap way to provide weapons for your companions though weapons lose their modifier, for example a  "masterwork scimitar" becomes a plain "scimitar" so not a good way to make money except maybe to buy food for your troops which you can get from your manors.

MarcusAureliusLP said:
You may be right but the dang emperor won't stop declaring war on people so I never have any time to do quests to get Constantinople and Ankara to like me more. Sardis Village adores me but they get raided. Also, is it necessary to stop all the pirates and bandits, as they just seem to keep coming.

3) I know that you can recruit Varangians in Constantinople (so awesome) and Genoese crossbowmen in Genoa. It appears you cannot recruit Cretan archers in Crete. Are there any other places with special troops in that location only?

Thanks! I hope some of you are able to check out the series, I'm having a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM7yEwbhGUoozkBCrw0ztCJQy8QkCo_2U

-Marcus
1. You can Always pay some 1000 dinars to the tavern owner in Constantinople and Ankare to make those Town love you more - plus 1 each time.

3.You can recruit mongol troops from the horde armys (those with no lord in them) requires neutral or good standing with their lord, if negative stance - you can't recruit.
In most hungarian Towns and some eastmost Golden horde Towns you can recruit cumans.
In Novgorod and Russa you can recruit Kipchaks and Mordovians. That's what I remember now.

I don't know if you have a fief and a regional manor. But here is a trick to keep interesting troops in your pool. For example if you got a Teutons chapter in the Church in you reg. manor. You get some teutons. Then you go and disband them in your fief. Next time you recruit Lances you will have teutons in there! Same with other special troops that shouldn't be there. No mercs tho.

Is there a way to take over a currently existing country without declaring your own kingdom? I really don't want to start my own kingdom, because then I would basically lose everything I gained working for the kingdom. I just want to take over. Considering my faction (Byzantines) that makes way more historical sense than starting a new kingdom. The Empire had civil wars all the time.

Thanks!

-Marcus

I think I have figured out the cause of your financial problem. You've been wasting all your money on dates that your troops can't eat.  :wink:

Adrale said:
I think I have figured out the cause of your financial problem. You've been wasting all your money on dates that your troops can't eat.  :wink:

For 100 gold to "feed" 200 men that's pretty much the only reasonably priced thing in the entire mod. If some peasant stumbled upon a broadsword or something on an old battlefield they can go to the madam and be set for life.

MarcusAureliusLP said:
Is there a way to take over a currently existing country without declaring your own kingdom? I really don't want to start my own kingdom, because then I would basically lose everything I gained working for the kingdom. I just want to take over. Considering my faction (Byzantines) that makes way more historical sense than starting a new kingdom. The Empire had civil wars all the time.

Thanks!

-Marcus

I only know of either to rebel against your king and keep all your fiefs (only cities and castles) or while you are independent take over a castle or city.

Adrale said:
But dates are a trade item like spice or salt. They can't be eaten.

Ok, since I never actually buy dates, the fruit, I thought you were referring to all the times I go to the madam to get "dates" for my men.

@Batko - Thanks, that's what I thought. At this point, not worth it. Because of me, the Empire is huge and I would never be able to take it on, even with my fiefs. I guess rebelling is something you do early.

I was watching you lp. In episode 4 you stopped at a village to buy food for your men. You bought some dried meat and dates. I guess you forgot but it just made me giggle. Imagining your men all hungry with an inedible trade item as "food" hehehe

Back
Top Bottom