Troop equivalence

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm wondering what some of the troops are supposed to be. Taking the Samnites as a base:

Líísd Kurú -> archer
Loufrud Kurú -> javelinman
Niir -> light cavalry
Regatureí -> standard bearer
Pedú -> (analogous with Campanici Pedes)

But:

Aragetud Sakrím -> (Principes?)
Mistreis Hostatu -> (something) Hastatus
Verehia Mins -> (?)
Verehia Maimas -> (?)

Verehia was the closest to some sort of officer in the Samnite army, they were young people of the Samnite upper class trained for military duty and administration. Mins means officer of low grade and maimas is a higher grade officer.
Hostatu is the Oscan word for Hastati which means spearman.
Sakruvit Aragetud Sakrím -> Sacred silver host/legion in short the Samnite sacred band.

Thanks. Also, are those Legio troops based on area? Because I can only recruit Legio I troops from Latium, but I could recruit Legio II troops from villages the Romans conquered from the Samnites. Still, couldn't find the standard ones ("Romanus" [name of troop]) nor the Funditors, which seem to be only tavern-recruitable.

EDIT: By the way, I mistyped the Samnite Hastatus. I wanted to know what is 'Mistreis' is.

They are regional until I can think of something better. Minstreis means something along the lines of low status/ranking.
Might as well go for all the names while we are at it:

Minstreis Hostatu -> Low rank spearman
Hostatu -> Spearman
Supruis Hostatu -> Superior/Higher rank speaman
Pedú -> Footman
Pedú Ehtradeketsiúi -> Elite Footman
Sakruvit Aragetud Sakrím -> Sacred Silver Host
Líísd Kurú -> Arrow/missile hurler
Loufrud Kurú -> missile skirmisher
Niir -> Noble
Niir ualaemom -> Greatest of the nobles
Verehia -> Young noble
Verehia Maimas -> High rank young noble
Regatureí -> Encourager/Supporter
Meddíss -> Equivalent of a Roman Magistrate, a person that rules over a city/tribe
Meddíss Toutíks -> Leader of the touta, the one that governs the confederation of tribes

The Oscan language is a dead language, some translations can be wrong, some of the words out of context might make no sense at all, if I find a mistake or find a good article on the language I'll update the names, for now that's it.

Back
Top Bottom