Fusing this mod with another mods map/factions

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord Rust

Grandmaster Knight
I love everything about this mod except the map, which frankly is too simple and dull. Would it be possible to take all the gameplay features of this mod, and simply add a different mods map/factions?

Some issues I can imagine would be:

* Recruitment system - would it crash with different units in another mod?
* Item commissioning - Would this clash with a mod that uses another item database?

I love the gameplay tweaks of this mod (recruitment, kingdom management etc) but I dislike the vanilla map/factions and while the units are interesting and I wouldn't mind keeping them, I'd prefer the units from say, Prophecy of pendor or AD 1257 or some such.

So can this be done and how much work are we talking? Copy/pasting some choice files or heavy duty editing of hundreds of lines?

I should note I'm not aiming to release anything I do, it's strictly for personal consumption.

* Recruitment system - would it crash with different units in another mod?
Don't think so. It wouldn't work with them though unless modified(you'll have to ask Windy on how to do this)
* Item commissioning - Would this clash with a mod that uses another item database?
It shouldn't I guess...

It would be a substantial project to move Silverstag over to using another mod's map & troops.  A lot of the recruitment features come about by coding specific to those troops.  Without that kind of reworking of the troop scripting any different mod's troops would not have abilities, prerequisites or the proper recruit types.  As the mod is open source that's all available for someone to edit though.

The item commissioning system should work on another mod's items just fine as long as they've used the "items_end" item at the end of their usable list of items.

Windyplains said:
It would be a substantial project to move Silverstag over to using another mod's map & troops.  A lot of the recruitment features come about by coding specific to those troops.  Without that kind of reworking of the troop scripting any different mod's troops would not have abilities, prerequisites or the proper recruit types.  As the mod is open source that's all available for someone to edit though.

The item commissioning system should work on another mod's items just fine as long as they've used the "items_end" item at the end of their usable list of items.

So what is the most I can achieve by simple copy/pasting of files between mods?

El-Diablito said:
Crashing on start-up most likely.  M&B doesn't lend well to shuffling files of two different mods together.  Now working within module_troops.py to switch out the troops and updating the rest of the module system to use those troops instead of the ones specified currently would work well, but it means using the module system.  As long as the other mod is open source, as Silverstag now is, then it is definitely possible with a low-mid level understanding of the module system itself.  Mostly it would involve changing references to "Troop A" (Silverstag's troop) to "Troop B" (the other mod's one) and these references could be found throughout the code easy enough by commenting out all of Silverstag's troops and seeing where errors pop up.

Windyplains said:
El-Diablito said:
Crashing on start-up most likely.  M&B doesn't lend well to shuffling files of two different mods together.  Now working within module_troops.py to switch out the troops and updating the rest of the module system to use those troops instead of the ones specified currently would work well, but it means using the module system.  As long as the other mod is open source, as Silverstag now is, then it is definitely possible with a low-mid level understanding of the module system itself.  Mostly it would involve changing references to "Troop A" (Silverstag's troop) to "Troop B" (the other mod's one) and these references could be found throughout the code easy enough by commenting out all of Silverstag's troops and seeing where errors pop up.

Well bother. I'm guessing a new map isn't overly high on your priorities list atm?

Well since he has already decided to go with classic WB map, just a little extended, I guess he's gona roll with that all way to the full version :wink:

I think the map is going to be pretty great in the end.  It's a long way from being finished, if rumors are to be believed.  There have been discussions about adding special scenes for landmarks and that sort of thing.

I'm curious: what mods do people like for having a really good/interesting map?  Why?

I never liked those big map mods, slowed the game in an awful way, especially during saving...But I guess Brytenwalda wasn't too bad...I think I'll give that mod a shot now that I have nothing to do...

UniversalWolf said:
I think the map is going to be pretty great in the end.  It's a long way from being finished, if rumors are to be believed.  There have been discussions about adding special scenes for landmarks and that sort of thing.

I'm curious: what mods do people like for having a really good/interesting map?  Why?

Prophecy of Pendor, Brytenwalda and AD 1257 have great maps.

Leifdin said:
I never liked those big map mods, slowed the game in an awful way, especially during saving...But I guess Brytenwalda wasn't too bad...I think I'll give that mod a shot now that I have nothing to do...
To be honest, I don't like them big maps too. It takes way more time to conquer it all. :smile:

Huillam said:
El-Diablito said:
Well bother. I'm guessing a new map isn't overly high on your priorities list atm?
Dawg has been working on expanding the map for some time but there is no ETA for the release.

The map is basically done, I expanded more and just need to add the finishing touches.  Its not going in until all of the factions are in though. There would be no point adding it right now.  My apologies for this summer, it was a busy hectic summer at work this year.  I did not get accomplished what I had planned out for the mod this summer.  Winter is right around the corner and I plan on being in full swing again soon.

I posted screenshots of it in the Capture Thread. 
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,273087.msg7253972.html#msg7253972

Ok so what would the most feasible project be? Could I: Change the map and use that maps faction (but simply make them re-named versions of the silverstag factions with the same troop trees)? Or some other variation?

It's just a strong personal preference, I know a lot of people like the Warband map but I have honestly hated it since the beta and this mod is just so crammed full of goodies I'd love to see on a bigger and more interesting map.

Say I could put the features of this into AD 1257 and keep AD 1257's map, factions...and if not too complicated, sound effects (gfx...maybe but that mod has great audio for battle). Troops...original would be nice but eeeh troops and items in Silverstag are kinda interesting. Not the best of any mod but good and fun to play with.

What's the closest I could come to something like this just by copy/pasting different files back and forth, and maybe some editing of simple text in various files?

El-Diablito said:
Ok so what would the most feasible project be? Could I: Change the map and use that maps faction (but simply make them re-named versions of the silverstag factions with the same troop trees)? Or some other variation?

It's just a strong personal preference, I know a lot of people like the Warband map but I have honestly hated it since the beta and this mod is just so crammed full of goodies I'd love to see on a bigger and more interesting map.

Say I could put the features of this into AD 1257 and keep AD 1257's map, factions...and if not too complicated, sound effects (gfx...maybe but that mod has great audio for battle). Troops...original would be nice but eeeh troops and items in Silverstag are kinda interesting. Not the best of any mod but good and fun to play with.

What's the closest I could come to something like this just by copy/pasting different files back and forth, and maybe some editing of simple text in various files?

The parties.txt file would have to be edited say if you wanted to put a different map in, the location coordinates for the map's locations are stored in parties.txt.  I never ever edited .txt files for modding, I have only used the module system since its easy so I don't know how to answer any .txt editing questions. Since you are interested in "modding" this mod than I would suggest installing python and download the Silverstag source.  I would also recommend downloading Notepad++ to view the module system files and use for editing them.  Its all free, and much much easier to edit and make changes. 

The most difficult task people have is correctly installing python so they can compile, these are the tools and routes you will need to take to accomplish what you are wanting to achieve.  If you get Python correctly installed and read the literature about python and the module system then I don't mind helping you out. 

Back
Top Bottom