Quick question about the Arbalest

Users who are viewing this thread

avenger2142

Recruit
I know you can get this by becoming a certain rank in a knight order, however, can you do this with your own CKO, because you already start as founder how exactly does this work? If that won't work, can you still get it from a different knight order? And failing all that, is there another option for acquiring one?

You can only get the Arbalest by obtaining the Knight Commander Rank from a already established Order, ie every KO other than the Personal Character Order, and even then only if you have proficient skill (200+?) in Crossbow weapon proficiency. I'm not exactly sure as I usually always play Empire and the Crossbow proficiency (To hell with power draw) is what I put most of my points in so by lvl 30 or so I have almost 300 in it along with one handed.

Whitestrake said:
You can only get the Arbalest by obtaining the Knight Commander Rank from a already established Order, ie every KO other than the Personal Character Order, and even then only if you have proficient skill (200+?) in Crossbow weapon proficiency. I'm not exactly sure as I usually always play Empire and the Crossbow proficiency (To hell with power draw) is what I put most of my points in so by lvl 30 or so I have almost 300 in it along with one handed.

So, if I have already established a CKO can I not get the weapon?

It needs to be a KHO you're a member of. You're the honorary grandmaster of your CKHO as it's founder but you're not tehcnically a part of it, game mechanics wise.

Join another order, rise through the ranks, and you'll be fine.

How exactly does one get an arbalest from the KO? I have become knight commander of various orders and have founded numerous CKOs but can't recall ever seeing the arbalest as an option or being given one? Is it only for Ebony Gauntlets or?

With a high enough crossbow proficiency, when you become Knight Commander, the knight will ask you if you want to test out an experimental weapon. Say yes and get it. Say no and don't. All orders offer it.

CKO equipment is restricted to stuff flagged as merchandise. The arbalest, being an experimental weapon lorewise, is not, if I remember correctly. So I'm afraid, you won't be able to equip your CKO with it.

iskar said:
CKO equipment is restricted to stuff flagged as merchandise. The arbalest, being an experimental weapon lorewise, is not, if I remember correctly. So I'm afraid, you won't be able to equip your CKO with it.

It's too bad, one of the few things that could replace the maiden crossbow.

Unfortunately the model lacks a quite a few things.

The winch is fugly and sticks into the players head when he uses it.
The bolt isn´t fastened properly - it looks like a bayonet if the bow´s cocked.

Other than that there´s not much as satisfying as a heavy, solid sound of "thump".

The Customizable Knighthood Order should be deadly enough with Siege Crossbows. If you want to argue, go face a horde of Empire Armoured Crossbowmen.

You can get more arbalests from the random Mettenheim expeditions as well as Obrist Heynrich's army.  I got a whole bunch, although mostly cracked and bent and rather few normal and none better than normal, so having high looting skill helps

Still, a bent arbalest is better than a masterwork siege xbow IIRC.  Maybe a cracked one too.

Slightly offtopic, but has anyone compared the actual damage output per unit time for say siege crossbows versus maiden crossbows. Does the higher rate of fire offset the slower, harder hitting crossbows?

Not really.
Accuracy is higher for the siege crossbow, if I recall correctly, and usually units using the heavier crossbow are heavier armoured as well and they add a great deal more punch than the maiden crossbow. And if they hit, you want as much power as possible behind it.

If you ever opposed Empire or used their troops, especially the EC and EACs in larger numbers you´ll see what I mean. Whenever I encounter a solid line of EAC I start to worry as they´re the one troop which usually causes most casualities within my army - they and Blademasters tend to worry me.

So if you want to outfit your CMKHO with them, I´d go for the Siege Crossbow. Just ensure to equip them before you give them a horse.

Flingit said:
Slightly offtopic, but has anyone compared the actual damage output per unit time for say siege crossbows versus maiden crossbows. Does the higher rate of fire offset the slower, harder hitting crossbows?

They have the same accuracy (85) but the siege crossbow hits like a truck. In any case CKO Sergeants with siege crossbows can act like secondary infantry, if you provide them with heavy armor and good shields/swords (engraved shield / runed bastard sword).

Example from an old game:

YZsDqFb.jpg

They were able to go toe to toe with pretty much anything out there, even dehorse/kill demonic magnus during intense battles with heretic spawns.

Flingit said:
Don't think so, because most high-end troops aren't that mobile.

All other weapons are available as ransom from defeating kingdoms:
D'shar gives the Heritage bow (Bow)
Sarleon gives the Banner of Sarleon (Pole)
Ravernstern gives dragon's tooth (two hander/bastard sword)
Empire gives orator baccus (one handed)
Fierdsvain gives Koningur Waraxe (two handed axe)
Noldor gives Havathang (Bastard sword)

The only one missing is a throwing weapon.

Do you get this by actually defeating the kingdom (never happened to me so thats why I wonder) or by dropping your relation enough with their faction leader and taking it from him?

manekemaan said:
Do you get this by actually defeating the kingdom (never happened to me so thats why I wonder) or by dropping your relation enough with their faction leader and taking it from him?

If you capture a King and his Kingdom is close to getting destroyed (3 or less walled fiefs?) he will offer you his unique weapon in exchange for his freedom.

shoshuro said:
If you capture a King and his Kingdom is close to getting destroyed (3 or less walled fiefs?) he will offer you his unique weapon in exchange for his freedom.

And thereafter he will despise you with a furious, unquenchable hatred.

Back
Top Bottom