Bodkin vs broadhead arrows

Users who are viewing this thread

Kharille

Knight at Arms
Think it might be possible to revise the bodkin arrow?  Maybe turn the broadhead arrow into a cutting weapon vs the piercing of the bodkin arrow?

arrowheads.gif

m4UKH5.jpg

QF2gRB.jpg

37-c9cf6dc4a2.jpg

I wonder why the two-pronged shape is specifically suited for fowling. Are those prongs sharpened, with cutting edges on the inside? Would normal arrows not do perfectly well if you hit or is it more difficult to hit with one of those in the first place?

AWdeV said:
I wonder why the two-pronged shape is specifically suited for fowling. Are those prongs sharpened, with cutting edges on the inside? Would normal arrows not do perfectly well if you hit or is it more difficult to hit with one of those in the first place?
The two prongs provide a broader strike area, and so makes it easier to hit the target, and birds are hard enough to hit as it is. Simple as that.

Probably so that the arrow doesn't go too deep and spoil the meat by hitting an unfortunate set of organs. Wide impact area produces more resistance.

AWdeV said:

Not sure if it is fowling, as it was very common to use a blunt tip simply made of wood for use in fowling, because it was enough to kill the bird and also not spoil the limited amount of meat.

I always presumed it was to cut through the flight-feathers or the wing to bring down the bird.

Skot the Sanguine said:
AWdeV said:

Not sure if it is fowling, as it was very common to use a blunt tip simply made of wood for use in fowling, because it was enough to kill the bird and also not spoil the limited amount of meat.

Aye I've always heard of the blunt tip (or blunt broad wood tip with a tiny prick of steel) used for fowling. It has the major advantage that it'll bounce off it it hits a tree (so it can be recovered) and of being significantly less leathal when it falls back (given you are loosing into the air after all).

Given I know of people catching game with red/black heads (hard bulbous rubber tips designed to allow safe use of arrows in reenactment combat) I don't see that an expensive metal head is necessary at all.

Back
Top Bottom