Why DO actually people volunteer to admin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Korbal

Sergeant
Really being a admin is really hard from what i have seen.Even simple cases can take 15 minutes, people spam the chats,looking
into the logs for 20 minutes. Endless line of players complaining at best  1admin takes care of 50 people.This means angry
players and very stressed admin , actually the ones who try work right.From what I heard some mods are getting seriously stressed.

I think its not the fault of the admins or the players ( there will be trolls and griefers in every game) but problem of design.
PW itself makes it very hard to enforce rules and the biggest one is randoming.Iam seriously thinking that rules expect for glitching
and exploiting put a extreme strain on the game , for which it isnt intended.

Korbal said:
I think its not the fault of the admins or the players ( there will be trolls and griefers in every game) but problem of design.
PW itself makes it very hard to enforce rules and the biggest one is randoming.Iam seriously thinking that rules expect for glitching
PW is not designed for any "randoming" rule: if people want to try implement it they are on their own, since I think it is a very subjective type of rule impossible to enforce with game programming, without drastically limiting and altering the main features. The mod is intended to be quite dynamic, interactive, and competitive, with the game environment strongly influenced by the players connected at the time; this is different to a lot of other games where players can only influence minor and disconnected aspects, reliant more on how many years they have played grinding for money or XP, or how many friends they have made within the administration team.

If people don't like that design, there are masses of other games and even some Warband mods that cater for more tightly controlled environments where normal players can't significantly affect the game world or each other, playing in separate "bubbles" as a sort of online single player with chat functions.

I spend nearly 2 year admining for 3 servers.

Once you get used to it, it's rather easy to do.

The only tip I got when I started;

Dont overwork and do one complaint at a time.

Mostly power and better social status. A lot of admins resign relative quickly after getting the powers, because
as you said it can be quite stressful. Also the playerbase is quite ungratful towards admins.

Probably less rules and less forced envoirment could fix the problems.

I personally did it to better the experience, don't care about being powerful or influential. I'm sure there are people which will disagree but that is my reasoning.

Just because i did it for my reasons doesn't mean that i didn't become known, maybe for banning a whole group of idiots and liked or banning a liked player and becoming disliked it was always amusing to see reactions, but i never did friends favours, or exemptions.

Korbal said:
Really being a admin is really hard from what i have seen.Even simple cases can take 15 minutes, people spam the chats,looking
into the logs for 20 minutes. Endless line of players complaining at best  1admin takes care of 50 people.This means angry
players and very stressed admin , actually the ones who try work right.From what I heard some mods are getting seriously stressed.

It's not for everyone. Some of us enjoyed the role that we had on the server in question, whether it was because you felt as if you were there to save the day, or give the players some sort of challenge or event to make the day interesting. In terms of stress, it's only stressful if you make it stressful. If you let the insults lashed from disgruntled players get to you, then obviously you want nothing to do with it in the future. What must be learned at an early stage of administrating a mod like this is that there is no way to please everybody. This isn't your job to sit on the computer all day, but when you have the free time volunteering to ensure everything is going smoothy is something people like myself really enjoyed doing.

Look at it this way: PW admins are like semi permeable membranes rather than barriers. We can't stop everything bad from getting through, but we can try our best to filter it.

In my long experience as admin in several server, lots of people wanted to be an administrator for the power and the popularity also to help out their friends which I have noticed in every server. I got on most days to actually admin and never got very popular. The days administrating became good when there was another person actually admining, teamwork is always better. It can be a little uneasy when everything is thrown on you when you are the only one on. Oh and lots of haters.

as a guy who have been admin before to be honest i mostly like the thing just because of that ban button ... remove it and the job become a hell...the 1 click can remove all the stress and really put a meaning to the job .. i mean by clicking it you removed 1 more troll from your way and plus its fun ...that is from my part :grin:

I used to enjoy admining but I got burnt out over the years.

It is hard to find good admins that don't have some ulterior motives.

Never ending stress, and no matter how successful your server is, all you really hear is complaints since they seems to stick into your brain the most.

Not to mention pissing your friends off because you make a business decision that they feel goes against them.

You can never win when hosting a server which requires tons of admin attention.

I think the best system PW ever had was when everyone on nexus got in the habit of using forum complaints, which were answered pretty quick. ( even though i loathed it at the time )

They got away with minimal in game admins for like a year. o_O

Having hardly any admins is better than having bad admins, one thing you hardly saw on nexus was admins mass spawning gold or mass banning the server, which happens a lot when you have a staff of 40 - 60.  It is very easy to lose control of the operation and things to go cray.

JadWSamadi said:
as a guy who have been admin before to be honest i mostly like the thing just because of that ban button ... remove it and the job become a hell...the 1 click can remove all the stress and really put a meaning to the job .. i mean by clicking it you removed 1 more troll from your way and plus its fun ...that is from my part :grin:

Your extensive admin experience has  provided us with a wealth of information about the topic at hand. We thank you for your wisdom.  :roll:

Back
Top Bottom