How do I get a fief?

Users who are viewing this thread

King Ragpar

Recruit
I have now helped capture 3 castles, none of which I got as a fief. I have 2 people who support me too. How do I get another fief? I have mechin which is always raided and that's it. Am I supposed to initiate the sieges? Or do I need to get better relations with more lords?

I got a village which I hated.  Spent a lot buying cows, maybe 1000 at a time just to give them a slight improvement in wealth.  Are you a vassal yet?  You need maybe 200 renown and then side with someone.

Have you checked the wiki?  I spend ages there.

You can try playing the persuasion game and getting your king to give you a castle someone else conquered but it may work out better to go ahead and capture a castle for yourself and then request you are given it. Taking it means your king is a lot more inclined to give it although there's still a chance he'll fob it off on someone else.

Although if that's the case you at least get a handful of denars as compensation.

The easiest thing to do is try and find a castle that originally belong to a different faction than yours, was conquered by your faction and then conquered by the faction you are currently at war with. This means the ties your lrods have to it is loosest and it's the least likely way to have a lord end up fiefless and if you're quick about it then the garisson is still weak.

That's how I captured Narra actually. The Sarranids had taken it from the Khergits ages ago, the Vaegirs took it from the Sarranids, the Sarranids then re-captured it and by the time I came along as an enfeoffed lady of the Vaegir kingdom it had a mere 22 defenders. 16 recruits and 6 sarranid footmen.

Needless to say my 90-ish strong force had no trouble (and no losses) whatsoever capturing it. I took the city, requiested it be given to me and, amazingly, I even got it.

Ofcourse, it was a bit dangerous at that point as even my full force wasn't a particularily powerful garrisson for a city. I dropped off every non-companion infantryman/archer in the castle and went on a recruitment drive in the area, the area around Vaegir-held Dhirim (where I also have a village. Didn't even ask for that one at all!) and back in the Vaegir lands.

Luckily, the place hasn't been besieged yet and at this point it needs quite a mighty army to take it. I suppose Sultan Hakim himself with his 450-strong force can take it, but he hasn't tried yet and I don't intend to just give it to him.

King Ragpar said:
I have now helped capture 3 castles, none of which I got as a fief. I have 2 people who support me too. How do I get another fief? I have mechin which is always raided and that's it. Am I supposed to initiate the sieges? Or do I need to get better relations with more lords?

A lot of times the first castle you capture you will get if you capture it yourself. If you were just rewarded with a village, town, or castle the chance is lower.

Other than that, make friends. The more support you have the better, 2 people isn't really much just yet. Usually to make friends I'll do the following things:

King
1) Ask him for jobs
2) Report to him whenever you defeat an enemy (only good for +1, he will only remember the last enemy you beat, and kind of a pain when he's on the other side of the map). If you see an allied lord being attacked by a larger force and help him, then report to the king, his view (can't remember the actual stat's name) will go up a few points.
3) Whenever someone captures a town or castle ask him who he thinks should get it, then agree with him (this will add to his and the other lords view of you)

Lords
1) Ask them for jobs
2) Follow a smaller allied Lord's unit around and when the get attacked by a larger unit then rush in to "save the day".
3) Look at enemy units with prisoners, if there are allied lords as prisoners and you free them this is a big boost.
4) Freeing allied Lords from prisons is a big boost but can be a pain
5) After fighting with allied Lords on your side talk to them all and you'll get a small boost

Another thing you can do is become a merc in factions that oppose the one you want to join. After beating the Lords of the faction you want to join you can release them if they are captured, this gives a decent boost and points in honor. In fact some of my character's best friends are in opposing factions. This can backfire sometimes as you don't always capture Lords to release so they end up hating you. But if your patient, usually over time this strategy works.

Back
Top Bottom