Opinion: Safe Zones are Terrible

Users who are viewing this thread

Ramaraunt

The new Avalon server, Dark Age PW, has a new feature called "safe zones" that creates areas without combat. The server has no rules whatsoever. This server was an attempt at creating one that requires no admins. Of course, as soon as I tried serfing in the safe zone, people stole my cart, stole my horse, sold all my iron, and ran around horse bumping people for no reason over and over. Horse bumping does no damage, but its incredibly annoying. In safe zones, people can steal whatever they want without punishment from the people they are trolling. Outside the safe zone, its just a giant native ffa arena. Without the RDM rules the game has lost all its role play in my opinion. The server has become a haven for trolls, not for people that want to play this game to have fun with others.

I even overheard an admin telling a new player that "the best way to make money is to RDM people outside the safe zone and pick up their money bags."

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,310941.0.html

It is a pvp server, some like it, some don't. 

If you want to be protected by rules, HCRP is the server for you.

Xaphan said:
It is a pvp server, some like it, some don't. 

If you want to be protected by rules, HCRP is the server for you.

Did you intend the safe zone trolling? Why don't you add some sort of cart and horse ownership system. That would be great, even for servers without safe zones.

So they ban avalon's guy and he make a new account and try to start over ? didn't he learn from his first server ? i mean he should have known by now that he suck and that every community he make will suck ... oh dear some people's stupidity ... and i think as well that this idea is really bad for pw ... i mean its made for role playing ain't it ? I also just want to have fun role playing but lets face it all pw communities have turned their servers to giant native servers with more factions ...

Roleplaying was adapted by the players, and most people are living under the illusion that this is a role play mod.

We created a pvp server, if you don't like it, go playing nexus HCRP.   

JadWSamadi said:
So they ban avalon's guy and he make a new account and try to start over ? didn't he learn from his first server ? i mean he should have known by now that he suck and that every community he make will suck ... oh dear some people's stupidity ... and i think as well that this idea is really bad for pw ... i mean its made for role playing ain't it ? I also just want to have fun role playing but lets face it all pw communities have turned their servers to giant native servers with more factions ...
What happened to your server?  Failed didn't it?  PW wasn't made for Role-Playing, ask Vornne if you like.  Learn your facts before you attempt to insult people with your terrible grammar and spelling skills.

:lol:

Every PW server has failed, what's your point?

And Vornne will tell you that PW wasn't designed for what most people call "roleplay", but rather dynamic player interactions via use of factions and resources. "PW isn't made for roleplay" got a little bit misrepresented.

You can do whatever you want with the tools vornne and laz gave us.  So in a sense it is a roleplay mod if you make a roleplay server.  Everyone makes roleplay servers and forgot you don't have to.

So splintert is correct.

With the current map we would need rules such as no camping pvp zone entrance ect...  To keep it rule less a new scene is being developed to resolve all the issues the initial release has shown us. 

But with Forsaken Uprising coming out in a few days....  uhhhh, i might be busy pwning newbies.

To be honest I've always been interested into running a player shop business (tavern) and I hope your server can pull it off nicely (provided it's well secured, and with ample storage).

I'll surely test out Forsaken uprising. though 2 devs running the project is a bit of a gamble..

bantapoo said:
To be honest I've always been interested into running a player shop business (tavern) and I hope your server can pull it off nicely (provided it's well secured, and with ample storage).

I'll surely test out Forsaken uprising. though 2 devs running the project is a bit of a gamble..
It depends if you have friends willing to start up a shop business with you, because random players on the server most definitely won't help you out with that.

And about Forsaken Uprising, it's not really a gamble if only 2 people are developing it currently.
Remember that the original Mount&Blade was developed only by 2 people aswell, a married couple from Turkey.

bantapoo said:

I would pay to see player owned shops succeed in modern PW. If it's not the lack of people giving a damn to shop at your store which drives you out of business, its the trolls that will eat you alive. If you want a Medieval/Renaissance business ownership game The Guild 2 is where you should be looking, definitely not PW. The only exception to this is a group of people rushing to the tavern and "owning" it for the day.

If you really intended to put the safe zones in then at least ensure that they're truly noob friendly, after all most roleplayers don't have a shred of Native duelling skill. I think PW could also use a scripted bot invasion function, or a bot guarded merchant caravan. These could be procedurally generated like Skyrim or could be left to the discretion of the admin. Bots alongside players could truly create an immersive experience. Player owned shops could also be made so that whosoever owns it receives a 50% commision on every purchase.

Back
Top Bottom