[PbP RP]The Battle for Dhirim (OOC Thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Name: Prosper Carrard
Faction of Birth: Swadia
Allegiance: (if any, it can simply be listed as "independent" for characters that aren't specifically aligned with a specific faction or group, i.e. a merchant) Swadians

Appearance: ((as if viewed in a building)) A young man steps through the door, standing tall at about 5'9". He is stocky with broad shoulders and a slight potbelly. His face is mildly round and smooth, and his eyes are hazel. His nose is of an average size, and not very notable. His eyes are hazel. His hair is sandy blonde, worn ear-length and wavy, but mostly straight. He has stubble on his chin and upper lip, but has short sideburns. He is dressed in a fine silk shirt and hose, as well as darker leather boots with gilded spurs.

Personality / Skills: Prosper is a generous person, but has a short temper (though it rarely comes to blades). He is also very studious and ambitious.
He is skilled at leading and decent at fighting and engineering, but can be cowardly once in a while, reducing his skill in leadership and fighting.

Biography:
  Born to a wealthy family in Suno, Prosper was thrust into the ranks of the petty nobles immediately. He was tutored by an old scholar who seemed to know everything in the surrounding world just from a trip to the merchant district. Prosper was a scholarly child from a young age, with a thirst for knowledge that kept growing the more he absorbed from books and caravans and his tutor. At the age of 6, he became a page to a knight named Ser Zacor. He and the other pages loved to roughhouse when they had finished their duties to their respective lords, and they fought each other mercilessly in large brawls. Prosper was never too good at throwing a punch, as temper had usually overtaken him, but he was tenacious, and would never stay down for very long. He was very courteous, and was slowly winning the favor of the court Zacor belonged to. When he turned 12, Prosper became a squire.

Prosper trained dutifully as a squire, doing sightly above average at sword and buckler practice, and he became one of the best of his friends at fighting with sticks, combining tenacity, resilience, and finesse to defeat other squires of the court in mock battles, which made some quite jealous. As he continued to work at courtesy, a young lady-in-waiting caught his eye. They began to flirt in the court when nobody was looking and began to see each other in a spot behind the keep, promising never to never love any other. Unfortunately, when Prosper planned to marry her, he learned she had recently been betrothed to a squire from a different court. Prosper was put off, but still continued his training and learning. By this point, he was 17. When war was declared between Swadia and the Khanate, the court sent its knights to fight the foe set out before them.

At first prosper was excited to finally see war, and armored his lord enthusiastically. He even rode into battle on his saddle horse, dispatching a few skirmishers in the fighting. But soon the fighting became severe, as the Khergits rained death on the Swadian troops. The battle was eventually won, but Ser Zacor was injured. The people who tried to treat his wounds tried hard, but the wound festered. Ser Zacor of Lyindah died of a fever 3 weeks after the battle. Prosper learned soon after that he was to become a knight. When Prosper turned 20 he was knighted, serving under Count Klargus and trying to prepare to fight the khergits off.

Party: Describe your characters party (if applicable, there is no requirement that your character start the RP with their own party of soldiers/troops/companions/etc.), what I would be interest in seeing would be things such as the "the faction composition of said soldiers, the level of training, the morale, number, etc." A small group of Swadian footmen (45 strong) equipped with haubergeons, bascinets, and halberds, as well as 5 squires with riding horses, swords, and mail with red tunics, and his Hunter

Equipment: coin pouch with 175 denars, spirited hunter

Worn (clothing/armor) : battered mail with surcoat (over aketon) and a hounskull Basinet with leather boots and gauntlets, otherwise wearing silk clothing.

Weapons (melee and shield) fine arming sword, tempered light lance

Weapons (ranged) : light crossbow and bolts (for hunting)

Scubert said:
Name: Prosper Carrard
Faction of Birth: Swadia
Allegiance: (if any, it can simply be listed as "independent" for characters that aren't specifically aligned with a specific faction or group, i.e. a merchant) Swadians

Appearance: ((as if viewed in a building)) A young man steps through the door, standing tall at about 5'9". He is stocky with broad shoulders and a slight potbelly. His face is mildly round and smooth, and his eyes are hazel. His nose is of an average size, and not very notable. His eyes are hazel. His hair is sandy blonde, worn ear-length and wavy, but mostly straight. He has stubble on his chin and upper lip, but has short sideburns. He is dressed in a fine silk shirt and hose, as well as darker leather boots with gilded spurs.

Personality / Skills: Prosper is a generous person, but has a short temper (though it rarely comes to blades). He is also very studious and ambitious.
He is skilled at leading and decent at fighting and engineering, but can be cowardly once in a while, reducing his skill in leadership and fighting.

Biography:
  Born to a wealthy family in Suno, Prosper was thrust into the ranks of the petty nobles immediately. He was tutored by an old scholar who seemed to know everything in the surrounding world just from a trip to the merchant district. Prosper was a scholarly child from a young age, with a thirst for knowledge that kept growing the more he absorbed from books and caravans and his tutor. At the age of 6, he became a page to a knight named Ser Zacor. He and the other pages loved to roughhouse when they had finished their duties to their respective lords, and they fought each other mercilessly in large brawls. Prosper was never too good at throwing a punch, as temper had usually overtaken him, but he was tenacious, and would never stay down for very long. He was very courteous, and was slowly winning the favor of the court Zacor belonged to. When he turned 12, Prosper became a squire.

Prosper trained dutifully as a squire, doing sightly above average at sword and buckler practice, and he became one of the best of his friends at fighting with sticks, combining tenacity, resilience, and finesse to defeat other squires of the court in mock battles, which made some quite jealous. As he continued to work at courtesy, a young lady-in-waiting caught his eye. They began to flirt in the court when nobody was looking and began to see each other in a spot behind the keep, promising never to never love any other. Unfortunately, when Prosper planned to marry her, he learned she had recently been betrothed to a squire from a different court. Prosper was put off, but still continued his training and learning. By this point, he was 17. When war was declared between Swadia and the Khanate, the court sent its knights to fight the foe set out before them.

At first prosper was excited to finally see war, and armored his lord enthusiastically. He even rode into battle on his saddle horse, dispatching a few skirmishers in the fighting. But soon the fighting became severe, as the Khergits rained death on the Swadian troops. The battle was eventually won, but Ser Zacor was injured. The people who tried to treat his wounds tried hard, but the wound festered. Ser Zacor of Lyindah died of a fever 3 weeks after the battle. Prosper learned soon after that he was to become a knight. When Prosper turned 20 he was knighted, serving under Count Klargus and trying to prepare to fight the khergits off.

Party: Describe your characters party (if applicable, there is no requirement that your character start the RP with their own party of soldiers/troops/companions/etc.), what I would be interest in seeing would be things such as the "the faction composition of said soldiers, the level of training, the morale, number, etc." A small group of Swadian footmen (45 strong) equipped with haubergeons, bascinets, and halberds, as well as 5 squires with riding horses, swords, and mail with red tunics, and his Hunter

Equipment: coin pouch with 175 denars, spirited hunter

Worn (clothing/armor) : battered mail with surcoat (over aketon) and a hounskull Basinet with leather boots and gauntlets, otherwise wearing silk clothing.

Weapons (melee and shield) fine arming sword, tempered light lance

Weapons (ranged) : light crossbow and bolts (for hunting)

Great. Get posting.
(Or wait for someone with more official authority to repeat after me.)

Úlfy, is that a player party that you encountered? (Don't think so.)
Also it's Roger, not Rodger, quit wasting bits.

Edit: It was a quicky, but I'll get my other characters updated as fast as possible. (A.F.A.P.)

Scubert:

The council of elders would like to urge you to redo the format of your CS to be a bit less of an eyesore. Aside from that you're approved.

To expand on that: It's a good app, but, since you've apparently made an account specifically to take part in this RP, we'd like to see a bit more effort put into taking the application seriously. You seem to be a capable writer, just clean up your presentation.

My character....
http://www.hdwallpapersos.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/irish-wolfhound-dog-hd-wallpaper-free-download-irish-wolfhound-dog-widescreen-images.jpg
Woof.

Feel free to make suggestions, if this seems a bit unusual......

Character Sheet Template:
Name:  Rufius

Age: about 55kg, but will bulk up a bit when fed properly.

Faction of Birth: nord, if dogs can have factional allegiances, that is
Allegiance:
Prefers a ship going type of master or mistress.  It's probably the smell of fish, or the salt ingrained in the fingernails....
Appearance:
A slightly underweight wolfhound, Rufius is about waist high on a tall man, with a head that reminds you of the dragon prows which adorn the Sea Raider longships.
His coat is sleek and black, but shows reddish undertones in a certain light.  Hence the name....
If you want a more visual description, google Irish wolfhound.  And colour him like a stereotypical Rottweiler... All black with flecks of reddish tan.

Personality / Skills:
Rufius is currently moping in a tavern in dhirrim.  One of the alleyway prostitutes had been feeding him scraps in return for him protecting her during her night shifts, but she has shacked up with a soldier now and disappeared.  So Rufius has moved into the tavern.  Strangely a, nobody felt inclined to argue with him.  He is behaving himself, and in return patrons  tend to be generous with half chewed bits of gristly meat, not very well picked bones and such like.

Biography: he's a dog.  He grew up near the coast.  He loves boats, hates archers, and does his best to stay warm, well fed and dry.  Failing that he will. Tear the throat out of anything threatening his family, and does a fine line in bringing down anything up to a full grown red deer.

Party:none.

Equipment:

Worn (clothing/armor) : powerful muscles and a shaggy coat.

Weapons (melee and shield)jaws and paws.  His jaws are his main weapon, capable of breaking a bullock's neck with a twisting motion.  Normally, he goes for blood kills ... That is, he will bleed his enemy to death with deep slashing intestate neck or  shoulders ... His weight and speed allow him t knock most targets flat.  Even a horse, taken by surprise, would be knocked to the ground by acharging Rufius.

Weapons (ranged) : scent of smell, animal survival instinct.
He's a decent tracker, but not properly trained.  If he injures an animal, he can follow it forever to get his next kill.  Or if he is looking for a family member, he will follow their scent until he drops.

How to interact with a big, strange dog?
A. If you have nasty intentions....
Get a ranged weapon, and stand up high, eg steps or upper story window.
You need to be accurate with the first shot as Rufius will find cover as soon as missiles start flying.

B. if you have friendly intentions...
Hide nothing. Hold your empty hands out or better still, place some meat on the ground, back away from it, and let the dog eat in peace.
Talk in a soft, friendly voice. Not an excited or loud tone.
Let the dog explore you, not the other way round.
Offer more food.

@ Scubert: Character seems good, but please  correct your formatting.  Welcome to the forums!  :grin:

@ Amman: Interesting and quite original, I like it somehow. It reminds me of Corndawg's char in SoI. So long as you don't anthropotmize ze hound to a silly degree I am fine with your character.  :lol:

Úlfheðinn said:
@ Amman: Interesting and quite original, I like it somehow. It reminds me of Corndawg's char in SoI. So long as you don't anthropotmize ze hound to a silly degree I am fine with your character.  :lol:

It started off so well and then it just spiraled out of control. Go me! :lol:

@ Yulgar: Your char is also spiffy and accepted :grin:

Nice post Corndawg, I'll try to have something up on Thursday afternoon, have to finish a couple of papers by Thursday morning... :lol:

If anyone else is struggling to find something to post or feels lost, remember the thread is here for you to use and we can brainstorm together.

Woof...
You can talk to me, I will have a reasonable grasp of basic stuff, particularly the tone.

Food is good
See preceding character sheet for basics on interacting with a dog, if you have no experience of dogs.
Don't confuse a mediaevil wolfhound with a modern dog, unless you are familiar with Australian dingoes, arctic huskies or other close-to-wolf breeds....

The horse is just a random thing. If anyone wants to be the owner, fine by me, otherwise it will just disappear into the dark calradian night....

So since I've already ventured here for the first time, is it just rp interaction set in Calradia? No turns, pms or anything right?
Sounds like my kind of thing and if so I'll make a char.

PoisonCourtesan said:
So since I've already ventured here for the first time, is it just rp interaction set in Calradia? No turns, pms or anything right?
Sounds like my kind of thing and if so I'll make a char.

Yep, there are no "turns" per say.

The only thing I would suggest is that people generally stick to the same time as everyone else, largely because it gets confusing if we are all RPing several weeks of events forwards or backwards.

You also don't have to pm people, however, in many cases its good to PM people if your character(s) are going to interact with theirs. However that can also be done in this thread.

Generally, the rule play by post RPs operate on is consent/approval, i.e. I will not just have my character PK or attacks Teofish's without actually discussing it with him first or I won't suddenly have a character show up with an army to ruin his plans. It's a sort of compromise between allowing flexibility and freedom and things being too chaotic and everyone having fun.

Úlfheðinn said:
Also it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine but if possible I suggest everyone avoid words that are specific to the geography of the real world. I.e. don't describe a Vaegir as Russian looking because in the setting of the RP there is no Russia.
Úlfheðinn said:
Any location mentioned in the game or lore is fair game (provided it still exists).
What are our options on language and faction cultures? The Sarranid tongue as I would have used it is based on Arabic and Sarranid culture on pre-Islamic Arabia, Persia and India; basically as its inspiration is described on its wikia page. I ask as I wanted to use some of Pashtunwali in all but name.

That's fine by me.

I tend use the Italian city states as a template when I think of the Rhodoks, just like I think of the vikings when I think of the Nords and when I name any Nord characters I go and look for old Norse names that fit.

The developers never really went to in-depth in regards to explaining the culture and languages so it's only fair that we improvise a bit. So using real countries/cultures as a base/source is not a problem provided it fits the general theme of the faction.

What I mean by language pet peeve is more that I for instance find it silly to call an axe  a "Dane Axe" in this setting because Denmark as a country isn't even on the radar.

PM sent, let's make it a good one.

In case anyone wanted an idea of what working with your "scene partner" looks like...

1PlSE.jpg

This is just a small chunk of the planning that goes into the posts. Those first four PMs are what led up to Ulf and I posting these posts alone. It's not even lengthy discussion, just simple things like "How many bandits should there be?" and "What's our general outline for this battle?" Work with whoever you're posting with and you make your life and theirs 10x easier.

This has been a preemptive PSA by Corndawg.

Back
Top Bottom