Ravenstern Rangers and the Forlorn Hope

Users who are viewing this thread

Wynd Fox

Squire
There I was, commanding a force of nothing but a couple of companions, two Ravenstern Militia, and one hundred forty-eight Ravenstern Rangers. The Mettenheim Forlorn Hope had found me, and they were out for blood. I was terrified. My forces were good, yes, but, I mean, these foes were better than good. I sat my Rangers up on a hill without shooting and asked, nay, begged my companions to follow me into the fray and just hope our horses wouldn't be shredded. They were. Poor Ediz fell first, followed by Sara and Sir Rayne. I managed to make it out of there with some great luck and the fact that my horse is much faster than a bunch of mustaches with zweihanders. When they had broken into the view of my RRangers, I gave the halfhearted order to let loose and fire at will. It was magical. It was a massacre. So many shieldless soldiers fell that day, it nearly brought a tear to my eye.

And then our quivers ran dry. And there was more than one tear to be had. There were only a handful of those awful men left, but that was all it took. They saw my RRangers in their skirts, puffed up their 'staches, and set to work. It was devastating. It was a slaughter. I have been trounced, and the Metalheim have me hostage. I lost it all. I lost all my men, some of my stuff, and even my freedom.
I have new-found respect and terror for these masters of warfare, and it is now my top priority to ally with them.

Because there are some situations when nothing is left to do but charge?
Far more interesting is the question how large his maximum party size had been and why the hell he hasn´t brought some decent infantry with him as well.

Battlesize was 150 because I haven't gotten around to downloading the sizer, and I don't really know how to edit the files to make it bigger.
Ediz entered the fray because, to be honest, he really gets on my nerves.
I had no infantry because I was trying to use only RRangers, which, as it turns out, was a terrible idea. Quite a lot of fun, but very ineffective.

The trick with mettenheim is have your cavalry charge their archers and then just ride your horse around in circles while your archers pick them apart. Alternatively, you can just equip a lance and plink them to death one by one.

I love fighting the forlorn hope, if you have a small force size, you almost always get a suit of forlorn hope plate.

noosers said:
Because there are some situations when nothing is left to do but charge?
He threw away his companions.  Ediz would have been worth more staying with the RRs because he's better than a RR

Best strat against mettenheim is like bob said.  Especially if you have more ranged than them.

I just realized I misread Nooser's post. I think my max size was around two hundred? But it was peace time and I wasn't planning on any major fights, but I have a weird love of RRs, so I like to have one hundred fifty of them always.
And as I said, I don't like Ediz. I don't recall, but I believe he'd just returned from spreading the word of my right to rule and I had yet to send him away.

Everyone has their own opinions, but mine is that Ediz is my strongest companion - slightly stronger than Siggy and Freddy but they're close (and especially if you like archers).  He doesn't have much of a personality compared to, say, Freddy or Dono, but I'm ok with that.

Donovan has a terrible personality, but Frederick is pretty great.

EDIT: I don't mean to say that Don is written poorly, merely that I find him to be insufferable. I imagine that was the intent.

Ha! I think that this thread has just made my day. Good stuff!

Wynd Fox said:

EDIT: I don't mean to say that Don is written poorly, merely that I find him to be insufferable. I imagine that was the intent.

I had a lot of fun working on Fred with Fawzia and noosers, he is definitely one of my favourite characters in the game.

Magnificient moustache wins, no matter what.

150 RR is a bit little, but should have been sufficient, if you ran and left the map after your Rangers had their arrows depleted. You had suffered a few losses, but been ready for round two with full quivers.

You don´t charge Mettenheim with cavalry, not so long as those ugly big 2h weapons are around. I tried that when testing the spawn and it worked as intended - lots´a minced horsemeat and heroic kebap on my side, little to no casualites on theirs.

Bringing some heavy infantry to cover your archers and their crossbows and a cubic ton of excellent archers usually just devastates them.
150 RR proved to be too little, but 200 may have worked.  :mrgreen:

Vaseline for everyone!

By the time I realized my forces had expended all their arrows, it was too late. The mustaches were upon us. If I'd been a bit smarter or paid more attention, then I probably could've tactically retreated. Oh well, this made a much better story.

Wynd Fox said:
Dono is the closest thing, role wise, to a drill sergeant in your merry band of adventurers, which means that he's no Mr Congeniality or Mother Teresa.

Bravado said:
Wynd Fox said:
Dono is the closest thing, role wise, to a drill sergeant in your merry band of adventurers, which means that he's no Mr Congeniality or Mother Teresa.
I agree. If he had shiny weapons, armor and over 300 proficiency points for every weapon right off the bat, all of which you can give him later anyway, he'd have been seen in a much better light.

You're talking about his capability rather than his personality (which I was)

But speaking of capability, Dono is slightly above average at the beginning, but after the midgame he becomes way below average as he is statistically a weakling who will be outleveled (and greatly overpowered) by many previously-lower-level companions such as Ediz, Freddy and Kaverra.

No, I wasn't saying he's useless, but that jst because he's not as good as some others at fighting doesn't mean he can't bring anything to the table (if nothing else, he's highly intelligent and an excellent trainer), or has a "worse" personality than the more "badass" ones getting away with their own arrogance, (lore-wise) heresy, bigotry, hypocrisy, stupidity etc. That's not to say flaws are bad though; the entire point of the mod is dealing with flawed people.

Back
Top Bottom