[FIX] [Steam + Linux] Crash at startup

Users who are viewing this thread

I've compressed and uploaded the Texture directory to dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/sf3rwkl2pji36tr/rawtextures.tar.gz. You can test it out steel_realm if it makes things better for you too. I may have missed a few things with alpha that require the official texture, like helmets with brushes, but its a minority and not as noticeable. You can fix it yourself if you find out which texture it is, just overwrite the converted file with the original file :smile:

Great work figuring this out and finding a fix!

I gave your texture package a try and it's working great.  A few things need the be reverted back to the original, and once I've done that I'll probably re-upload the texture package for others to use.

Would you mind detailing the process you used to convert the .dds files?  I'd like to do the same for other mods, and provide Linux-compatible texture packs for them.

Of course.

I also got a new idea and coverted all textures to DXT5. Now even the alphas work properly. No need to search for specific alpha ones. I'll upload it shortly.

First the new archive with dxt5 textures: https://www.dropbox.com/s/17lnryw5mq1osdy/rawtexturesdxt5.tar.gz

I'm not sure if the tool exists for the Windows environment so i'll post how i did it in Linux.

1. First i installed the package libnvtt-bin  (nvidia texture tools). It is included in ubuntu repositories.

sudo apt-get install libnvtt-bin

2. now i got several commands to work with, among them nvcompress and nvdecompress

3. i made two scripts to work with files in batch

- first one is compress.sh:

for x in `ls *.tga`; do
    nvcompress -bc3 $x && echo "compressing $x"
done

- second one is decompress.sh:

for x in `ls *.dds`; do
    nvdecompress $x && echo "decompressing $x"
done

4. set the executable flag on both of them so they can be run

5. place decompress.sh in the directory where the dds files reside. Then run in terminal ./decompress.sh. It will convert them all to tga files.

6. move the tga files into a different directory and put the compress.sh file in there too. Now run in terminal ./compress.sh. It will convert all tga files into dds files with dxt5 format. Now the dds files can be copied to the respective mod's texture subdirectory for use.

(The format can be edited in the compress.sh file according to this wiki page https://code.google.com/p/nvidia-texture-tools/wiki/CommandLineTools. Just replace -bc3 with something else.

I didn't test every dxt5 back then, only one or two. It was a bit difficult to pinpoint items in game to particular textures, since the openBrf tool only works in Windows and i used it to track stuff. But it wasn't much realiable in a virtualbox environment as it didn't show any graphic in there.

I have no idea what was the exact problem. Maybe a difference in compatibility between the tools used to create the dds files, but it's just a speculation.

well i am using paint.net for saving dds textures
so ~70% textures were made with that exactly the same software
but for example celts have still osp armor boots pants romans have outdated osp chainmail armors and so on

but for example samnites or greek city states ~shoulnt have any osp

I just tested it on Perisno with success. Converted all to dxt5 and black textures are gone. Only drawback is that the texture folder got bigger by about 1GB (from 2.3 to 3.3GB)  :eek:

well in raw it is not hard to recognize with texture is dxt5 with is dxt1
for example nearly all items have 3 textures :diffuse, normal and spec map
so things in raw most of the time is called like
s_hoplon
s_hoplon_n
s_hoplon_s
where first letter means in this case shield, after that, something what explains what kind of item it is. And 3 shows what kind of texture map it is

so if you compare sizes of all those 3 textures then if s_hoplon size is equal s_hoplon_n+s_hoplon_s then it is sved as dxt5
normal and spec textures we saving always as dxt1
normal map also could be saved as dxt5 if it is saved as green normal map (but those are used mostly just on scene props with we have not to much and those dont fit the rule with the texture names)

but i guess better would be for you to find another way how to recognize textures by dxt5
also you should know that for example if you resave dxt5 texture to dxt1 and then from dxt1 to dxt5 again your alpha channels going to loose quality and will look probably the same as dxt1 do

Dr_Shame said:
First the new archive with dxt5 textures: https://www.dropbox.com/s/17lnryw5mq1osdy/rawtexturesdxt5.tar.gz
- first one is compress.sh:

for x in `ls *.tga`; do
    nvcompress -bc3 $x && echo "compressing $x"
done

- second one is decompress.sh:

for x in `ls *.dds`; do
    nvdecompress $x && echo "decompressing $x"
done

So depressed.

I did this and it fixed map textures in a mod by the name of Warsword Conquest, but when I got into a city map, textures for my hemlet and various bits of scenery were still black.

I sure appreciate the tip. I truly, truly thought this was going to fix me right up when I saw how it had fixed the overland map issue, which previously had had horizontal black lines running across one specific texture. ARGH

Seems GIMP has to have a plugin to deal with these files. I can't figure out how to tell if it is dxt5 or dxt1. I dunno if you can tell me anything else, but it seems to be the right general direction. I still am sort of dumbfounded it doesn't work.

Part of the problem I have is I am not sure how to go about figuring out which texture goes to the item I see in game. I am assuming this one helmet is a certain texture because, well, when decompressed I can open it and see it and it looks like the textures for the correct helmet. Anyhow... What I am asking is do you know how I can check that to see if it is somehow an issue, this dxt1 vs. dxzt5 property?

Oh, somehow missed this reply but your issue with Warsword Conquest seems to be solved already in the general forum :smile:

Yes, it was problematic figuring out which texture belongs to what, and that's why i made scripts to process everything at once.

Also the newest Warband patch completely fixed issues with black textures for me, making our little solution obsolete  :cool:

Dr_Shame said:
Also the newest Warband patch completely fixed issues with black textures for me, making our little solution obsolete  :cool:

When was that patch? I haven't seen a patch that I remember lately...

Your fix definitely helped my overland map in Warsword Conquest as recently as last week.

I think you need to be opted in to the beta to get the patch. Rightclick on the game link and select properties, then beta page and use the password "betapassword" there, then select beta from the dropdown menu

Dr_Shame said:
I think you need to be opted in to the beta to get the patch. Rightclick on the game link and select properties, then beta page and use the password "betapassword" there, then select beta from the dropdown menu

Ok, thanks again good sir. I'll be back if I have a glitch. Sure am glad you're around!

Here a script to found unused files or with case-sensitive problem and optionally move the unused ones:
http://fantu.eu/warband/check-files.sh
I'll fix/improve it if needed, I tried to run it in RAW 2.5 and this is the result:
http://fantu.eu/warband/RAW-check-files.log

Back
Top Bottom