Brytenwalda Realism Mod 0.5

Users who are viewing this thread

ajaxjs

Recruit
I've hidden my original post behind the spoilers tag, and updated this post with what I've actually done.

I just recently discovered Brytenwalda, and Warband for that matter owing to a Steam sale (what an amazing mod!). However, after tooling around with it a little, some things began to bug me. So I schooled myself in some rudimentary modding, and made some tweaks. I'm going to share what I did here, for your feedback, and if a lot of people agree with them, I'll make it an actual submod.

My Installation:

I installed Brytenwalda 1.40, then the graphic pack, then the patch. Then I installed TML's submod, and over this, the spears overhaul (for the overhand thrust, but see the adjustment below).

Sentences in italic were where I struggled or came up short of my meager modding ability. If you could help there, let me know.

My Adjustments:

1) Trade Goods - It seemed to me that Trade Goods were all out of whack. Some items were overpriced or underpriced. For example, I could go to any village, buy a couple cattle for around ~220 scillingas, and make a ~1000 scilingas profit from selling the two hides and two slabs of beef. This was ridiculous. Raw hides were as valuable as silver! Crazy. There were also various distortions in the productive enterprises, like wool cloth and dye vis a vis fine cloth, or flax vs linen cloth, or grain vs beer. Just about every item that should be more rare in Dark Ages Britain became more expensive (such as grapes or fine cloth, or iron tools), and other items got downgraded in value, like basic meats, hides, wool, flax, etc. Beer and mead were also decreased in value (since they're made from grain which costs pennies for pounds).

These were not massive changes - think like 25-45% either up or down, except in the case of hides which went from an astronomical 320 (equal to silver!!!) down to 100. You can still make a bit of a profit from buying and slaughtering cattle, but the margin is much more reasonable, and possibly not worth the time. It returns to the way it should be - feeding your large army as you walk by on campaign, with the hides just a little to defray the cost.

These tweaks also mean that a much wider range of productive enterprises are more viable. A winery or brewery is no longer the automatic answer (though unfortunately, it's close. The solution to this is probably to jack the price of fine cloth even further up, or even double its already nearly doubled value.)

I also raised the amount of dried meat from 150 to 225, to better justify the time/loss factor in making it. To better justify the weight of grain and bread, I raised their amounts to 200 for grain, and 175 for bread. A lot more work could probably be done with foods.

I'm trying to get a balance between cost outlay and weekly earnings. But some values, like labor, I can't edit. I also would have preferred to reduce cattle to one hide and two slabs of beef, but I wasn't skilled enough to modify.

2) Clothing Values - It seemed clear to me from the items file there wasn't a great deal of rhyme or reason to values assigned to certain objects. A lot of utter trash - rags, tunics, headwraps, pants - basically tattered crap that a player will never wear unless forced to, was often worth between 300-500 scillingas. I slashed, with the exception of noble clothing, all of these items by at least half in value. Slings, clubs and stones, were also reduced to maybe 5 scillingas in value at best. It doesn't make sense that the detritus from ragged bandits could sell for enough to pay an elite mercenary captain for a week.

As it happens, because I didn't want to make dramatic changes, to my mind much of the 'clothing' is still overpriced. But it's more reasonable while keeping a nod to gameplay. But you'll be making like 17 scillingas a ragged tunic, instead of a 87. I made this adjustment, after realizing I was raking in ~8,000 scillingas from filling my wagon with the trash of war and mass selling it.

I've also adjusted some armor. There was no reason for the naked pict armor to give +10 to body in addition to its other bonuses. I reduced it to +5. Same for the pants. There was no reason for pants to give +10 to bodies and +2 to legs. I made it like +3 to body and +8 to legs. I reduced the average gloves from +12 body armor to +7. I would have liked to make a new type of gloves called 'fine leather gloves', which gave closer to the original +12 but were more expensive, but I'm not there yet with my modding ability.

The costs of armor (basically anything that a player would want to wear), was left alone. The costs of heavy armor in particular, are already reasonable. It's already expensive enough that I never buy armor from the armorer, although I might take a risk with the mystic merchant. Mostly, enough decent mail will drop from the battlefield, after killing enough dena raiders. More on this later.

3) Armor Values - My main focus here was heavy armor. It seemed that heavy armor had too many detriments to be worth using. I came to this conclusion after realizing I was playing the game quite happily naked as a pict, or wearing the 25 armor light noble's tunic, and turning up my nose at 44 armor heavy mail, with crushing skill negatives (-3 to athletics and power strike!!!) on top of already fatiguing you faster and making you slower. That's not just a double whammy, that's a triple whammy, all stacking on top of each other. Even with 6 athletics, wearing heavy mail, you will be out of breath before you reach the top of the ladder in a siege.

A possible solution is to turn armor skill effects off, or fatigue off, but that's really a no-go for me. I like the idea of armor skill effects, although I think it was a heavy-handed implementation. And I like the fatigue system. 

To begin with, I gave all the heavy armor +10 to the body and legs. I still don't wear it, but at least there is a moment's contemplation between 54 mail and a 25 tunic. I left medium armor alone.  Which makes sense, because often, medium armor had the same value as heavy armor (bronze lamellar is 41, for example). And sometimes I do wear medium, especially the lamellar, since the skill penalties aren't quite as egregious.

If I were a better modder, I'd reduce the penalty of heavy armor to something like -2 athletics, -2 power draw, -2 power throw, -1 power strike and like +3 iron flesh.  Medium armor would be simply -1 across the board. That said, I don't know if armor bonuses actually work. The naked pict armor is supposed to give +2 iron flesh, and the iron flesh shows up on your skills, but is not reflected in your HP. That's also the deal for mules and inventory management.  If I were a better modder, I'd very much like to know how to fix these (mules in particular annoys me, as that inventory management bonus makes a lot of sense).

4) Weapon Values - I was bothered by how cheap swords were, as well as how ineffective they were. With TML's submod change to spear, a two-handed swinging polearm was basically death incarnate. I went about fixing this, by doubling or even tripling the cost of all swords, and giving both their cut and thrust damage a boost (something like 3 to swing, and 5-8 to pierce). That's because in no universe, should getting a thrust to the belly from a sword inflict less damage than a knife or arrow. Many swords has like 14-16 pierce, and 33 swing. Now, most have an average of ~37 swing and 20-24 pierce. There are still some variations. Some celtic, pictish or warrior swords break the formula a bit in being better to swing and still a bit bad to thrust with.

Another reason that the sword's cut values had to be raised was because it was seriously unbalanced with axes. Axes are all pierce damage, with carve through armor like butter. Cutting damage is supposed to have a higher base damage (to hurt unarmored opponents more) but do worse against armor. Well, this is impossible in practice, where even 'unarmored' opponents, will have like cloth caps (or wimples) that give +10 or +12 armor, and cloth armor, whether it be rags, dresses, with gloves and cloaks, that can stack up to 25+ armor. Part of this solution was lowering the armor of some of the cloth. Another part was raising the swing damage of swords.

As it stands, swords could probably still do with a bit more damage added, or with the light cloth armor made more like 5/2, and get rid of the 10/2s, and take the 13 or 16s down to 10s. But I didn't want to make too sweeping of changes just yet.

The spears in TML's submod were doing equal piercing damage to swinging as with thrusting. This made them GROTESQUELY overpowered. I returned all the spears swing damage to blunt damage. I know he did this because of the way the overhand thrust works. And I like the overhand thrust animation. But it was too much. I was spanking guys at point blank range with a long saxon war spear, one-shotting everyone. I also changed banner damage to blunt from cutting, and a few other weird things.

Some axes lost the ability to parry. Some swords (the bastard celtic/pictish swords) were moved to the back slot. Axe hammers now do modest ~30 blunt damage, and only the long handle version can parry. I know they're not really hammers, and look more like axes. But I really, really missed a mace-type weapon in Brytenwalda.

I noticed that for a lot of weapons, their reach didn't align very well with their actual weapon. A knife or sickle for example, can hit someone from like a foot past where the blade ends. I didn't screw around with reach, because I just didn't know if I might make something worse.

Ideally, I'd add in other blunt weapons, like sledgehammers, mauls or maces, but change it so that blunt damage has a greater chance of killing someone instead of automatic captive. The lack of these weapons is one of the main things that perplexes me.

5) Horses - Horses are extremely weak in Brytenwalda. I've lost count of the times that I've just happily one-shotted horses spilling their riders left and right. I don't think that horses should be tanks - and I very much approve of the absence of the couched lance. But right now, they're quite ridiculous.

In order to fix this, I adjusted all their stats. Donkeys were made slightly worse. Ponies left mostly the same, but north horses, draft horses, the paraverdus and greek armored horse all got boosts to their hit points, charge damage and natural armor. You can actually knock someone down by running into them at full gallop with a north horse instead of bouncing off them. They last a bit better in combat as well. They'll still go down when stuck amidst a bunch've troops (sigh, AI cavalry), but are no longer at quite the same risk when riding by or in scattered knots. They can take a few whacks before tumbling.

Beforehand, I honestly did not notice much difference between a donkey and a north horse. Now, there is a considerable difference. Donkeys and mules are actually weaker and worse in combat than they are now. The only reason I'd ride a donkey in battle, was to get to the front lines and dismount. Pony stats were left mostly unchanged, which means there is a significant gap between them and the new and improved horses.

To compensate, north horses now require 2 riding, draft horses 3 riding, paraverdus 4 riding, and greek armored war horse 5 riding.

6) Companions - This is what gave me the most trouble. What I would have liked to do, is something like the no-longer supported or available 'stronger companions submod'. However, I always thought that was overpowered, and my own version is more modest, with levels at 5-10-15-20, instead of going to 33. Also, I spent the points myself based on what I thought made sense. However, there are still at least 3 different companions avaialble to fill each niche, so a player is hardly stressed for options.

Unfortunately, I ran into a major obstacle. I was unable to increase the cost for hiring an NPC, without having to edit it in python. And editing it in python gave me like 20 interconnected txt files, which would have wiped away all of TML's mods that I did like, and I wasn't even sure how up to date the basic Brytenwalda Module System was.  It also would have made me, seemingly, have to re-edit a few files. Point being...There was no way I could find, (and I looked long and hard) to just increase the cost of hiring certain companions. If there is a simple way to do this, please let me know.

So the solution I hit upon, was to keep with the 5-10-15-20 changes, but to make it more 'fair'. This means that, the NPCs do not get the full attribute and skill points for their levels. They get pretty much 3 'player levels' for every 5 NPC levels. This ensures that getting a level 20 NPC companion off the bat is a boost, yes. But he'll have less attributes than a level 5, 10 or 15 NPC taken all the way to 20 normally. Also, the higher level an NPC begins as, the less likely you'll be able to modify them. Some NPCs are very good, but they're all good in the Aleifr sense (him of the magic 7 trade). Which means that no NPC is starting with higher than 6-7 in a party skill. Liuva has 6 training (and is a high level to allow him to actually train level 16 peasants). Bridei has 7 track. Ultan is a so-so medic (lacking surgery), but with good iron flesh, power strike and two-handed proficiency. One of the Picts is a good forager/looter. Some of them, like Lothar or Cealwin, are straight up fighters. Some make good emissaries.

Ideally, I would have liked to pair these new companions, with a system that limits your total number of companions to your leadership rating. Or alternately, to a max party size of 6. I wasn't able to figure out how to do this, or of it's even possible. But I think it's a fair system now, and it makes it somewhat harder to cheese trainers, while being easier to use trainers.

7) Troops - A few minor changes here. A lot of them have templates from base Mount and Blade...So there's a lot of weak troops with like 6-7 athletics, 7 shield, 8 power strike. It means that even supposedly crap units have monster stats. I know the AI needs every advantage it can get, but its depressing that weak-ass bandits are faster than I will ever be, with 20+ agility and maxed athletics. I wasn't able to dig much into this, but I did give Neko's men their horses (Canabrian javelin men should have horses!).  A lot more could be done here.

But I'd also like it if the player could raise their power strike/athletic skill further. Getting a max bonus of 5 from it is fine, but if we could keep raising it, then you could eventually compensate for the penalty in heavy armor, which would beautifully model the importance of higher strength.

I've also noticed that effective fighting with a spear requires both great speed, and constant backpedaling. This makes it extremely difficult for the player, because even with 6 athletics, I trip ALL THE DAMN time. Don't get me wrong. I like tripping. I feel like it limits some potential abuse. But I'd much rather prefer if Athletics went to 8, and eventually reduced the tripping chance to 5%. The AI, which almost always has maxed athletics, and 20+ agility, even on middling troops, and backpedal-fights well, does much better with spears. In a similar vein, you'll often find that because of the skill cap, many soldiers in Brytenwalda have identical stats, regardless of level, since both are maxed out...Noone ever went back to account for the fact that there there are lower limits on certain skills.

Thoughts?

Brytenwalda Realism Submod 0.5

Compatible with both TML and non-TML versions (there are only 3 txt files to be dropped in or out, that don't affect anything else).

Changelist

This is a more concise listing of changes I've made. More lengthy explanations and reasons for these changes can be found earlier in the thread.

ITEMS (item_kinds1.txt)

Trade Goods Overhaul

- Raw hides substantially decreased in value (they were equal to silver!). Buying and slaughtering cattle is no longer a road to unlimited riches.
- Most raw materials, such as wool or flax seed, have decreased in value.
- Most finished goods, such as wool cloth, linen or fine cloth have increased in value.
- Silver has increased in value.
- Mead and ale have decreased in value, owing to the cheapness of grain.
- Grapes and olives are more expensive.
- Food amounts have been adjusted to better account for their weight.
- Notably, Grain now gives 200 instead of 150, and dried meats give 225 instead of 150.
- Various other minor tweaks. Trade routes that you're familiar with, are still in place, but the profit is a little more realistic.

Cloth Armor

- All cloth armor, with the exception of noble clothing, have been at least halved in value. It made little sense for dirty shirts to give 70 scillingas from being sold.
- Some cloth armor have had armor values adjusted. Such as pants and villager dresses, or naked picts.
- In the interest of realism, changes here could have been even more extreme. But were actually quite restrained. Those who use the supply wagon to hoover up every dirty, ragged scrap or pair of trousers will still make otherworldly profit.

Heavy Armor

- Most Heavy armor has had chest armor modestly increased (around +10/+15 depending on the item) and leg armor substantially increased. It often didn't make sense, with byrnies or hauberks that went as far as the knees, giving hardly any protection. Brytenwalda also has a dearth of leg protection in general, with legs often being the most vulnerable spots on the body, which isn't that realistic.
- Various tweaks balanced for playing with normal damage, tripping, fatigue and armor penalties ennabled.
- Medium armor left alone. Which is fine, as in many cases, medium and heavy armor had nearly the same armor values before being modded.
- Heavy armor was made rarer in the game. It does not show up as often on some troops, such as frankish raiders or dena pirates.

Weapons

- Hundreds of tweaks and adjustments to various weapons, aiming for more realism.
- Slings, sling stones and rocks decreased in re-sale value and damage.
- Swords are both more expensive (doubled in value, as a minimum) and more lethal, and are better to thrust with. Many sword values had thrusting damage of as little as 11-14, making a rock or cheap knife more dangerous than a blade thrusted into the belly.
- Swords are a bit more rarely found equipped on various troops.
- A few swords, such as the Pictish and Celtic long swords, were moved to the back sheath.
- Most axes are now cutting instead of piercing damage, although their cutting values have been increased.
- Axes that retained piercing values, often had their damage lowered a little and value raised, such as the elite decorated axe.
- Some axes, such as hatchets, lost their ability to parry.
- Knives and daggers do better thrusting damage, making some of them a decent choice for armor penetration (as occurred historically, being able to fit through eyeholes and such). Some had their reach fixed, which were set as long as swords in some cases, despite the model of the weapon being far smaller.
- Spears do blunt damage when swung, and piercing when they thrust.
- Banners do blunt damage instead of cutting.
- Axe hammers do blunt damage. I know it looks more like an axe, but I imagined them as being more crushing-like, with damage and speed to show for it. The game also suffers from lack of any mace or maul weapon, which I hope to fix soon. I'd also like to make blunt damage not give an automatic KO.
- Most bows/arrows do cutting damage now, instead of piercing, except for pictish crossbows and byzantine arrows. But their cutting damage was very slightly increased.

Horses

- North Horses, Draft Horses, Paraverdus and Greek Armored Horse had their charge damage, armor values and hit points adjusted upwards.
- They were tweaked to be realistic, not overpowered, though in truth, could probably have been raised even higher. It's still a significant improvement over un-modded, where they seem to collapse instantly.
- Previously, a 800 pound horse barreling into a soldier would more often than not, come to a dead stop and inflict little if any damage. Now, a North Horse WILL knock over who it collides with.
- Donkeys, mules and ponies are virtually untouched, or possibly a bit worse (slower, less maneuverable).
- There can now be champion and timid horses as well. I would've liked to adjust 'timid', but that requires going into the scripts. For now, it's a -1 riding requirement.
- Riding skill requirements adjusted for all horses. 0 For donkeys/mules, 1 for ponies, 2 for North Horses, 3 for Draft Horses, 4 for Paraverdus, 5 for Greek Armored Horse.

SKILLS (skills.txt)

- Power strike cap raised from 5 to 7, to better accommodate a high strength overcoming heavy armor penalties.
- Power Throw and Power Draw cap raised from 5 to 7 for same reason.
- Athletics cap raised from 6 to 8. Having max athletics should allow you to reach a siege ladder without getting winded and collapsing even while wearing heavy armor. This was the easiest and most obvious change to make.
- I was extremely tempted to move Athletics to Strength, but did not. Feedback wanted on this!
- Trainer and Persuasion moved to Charisma.
- Trade moved to Intelligence.
- Spotting, Tracking and Pathfinding moved to Agility.
- Shield moved to Strength and had its cap raised to 5. They still seem to break way too easily, but it's a start.

TROOPS (troops.txt)

- All troops have received a comprehensive pass to have more realistic stats. Most were copy-pasted, and it didn't matter what level they were. A villager was as likely to have Power Throw 4 and Athletics 6 as an elite soldier.
- Soldier skills have been adjusted to be more realistic. Skirmishers and elite infantry are more likely to have higher athletics and better power throws, than heavy infantry, who are more likely to have better iron flesh and power strike.
- Athletics, shield ability, riding skill, as well as Power Strike/Power Throw etc have all been distributed with the raised caps in mind, and taking into account armor penalties.
- No more peasants with 16 strength and maxed skills. They're more likely to have around 9 strength.
- Some minor adjustments to troops based on faction. Germanic units, such as Angles, Saxons and Jutes tend to have +1 strength, and +1 power strike/iron flesh to some of their best units.
- Briton, Irish and Pictish troops, roughly in that increasing order, tend to have better agility, better athletics and better power throw. Britons are the best riders. Germanics and Picts are the worst.
- 'Special' units, like Ship Captains, Bandit Leaders, and various lords, were left alone. They're still technically overpowered (some are level 52!), but I suppose that's part of the challenge. Personally, I like to seek out the opposing lords or generals and defeat them in personal combat. And it helps them to stay alive a bit more, because they're often roaming around on their own away from the shield wall.
- Arena/Tournament units left untouched. They're overpowered, but making them weaker would only make tournaments even easier to abuse than they are now. Besides, you can reason that it's impossible to accurately model stats where the combatants are supposedly holding back a little and using blunted weapons.
- Villagers now fight like...villagers. The ones you dueled while training them, for example, had beastly stats and maxed athletics which made going 3 on 1 a fool's errand.
- Equipment was adjusted for troops. Some notable examples:
- Cantabrian javelineers now have horses, which they inexplicably lacked before.
- The 'huscarl' or 'hearthsworn' elite heavy infantry have exchanged their medium and heavy spears for battle axes and two-handed axes.
- Frankish raiders and dena pirates are less likely to have mail armor. Both were far more heavily armored than the Franks of a century later. They've also lost their swords, although Ship Captains might still carry one.

Companions

- Companions were given starting levels of 5, 10, 15 or 20.
- 5 Companion levels equates to 3 player levels, in terms of attributes.
- All Companions were given reasonable specialties, though none with a higher starting Skill in something than '7'.
- This represents a middle ground between Companions as they are in a semi-worthless state, and Companions in the defunct Stronger Companions submod, which were quite overpowered by letting you spend all their points and going up to level 33.
- I tried to give each Companion a little flavor to them. The Welsh companions tend to be good at archery and spear use. Example: Ultan is a decent combat medic, with a high Iron Flesh, Power Strike and decent two-handed, but who lacks Surgery. Bridei is a good tracker.

MISC NOTES (OR HOW BEST TO ENJOY THIS MOD)

In module.ini, change the damage soak values to these:

armor_soak_factor_against_cut      = 0.75
armor_soak_factor_against_pierce    = 0.50
armor_soak_factor_against_blunt    = 0.30

armor_reduction_factor_against_cut      = 0.80
armor_reduction_factor_against_pierce    = 0.40
armor_reduction_factor_against_blunt    = 0.65

Don't play with the supply wagon.

It's an entertaining concept, but it completely wrecks the game's economy, and allows you to engage in all kinds of cheating. Like stashing troops in a wagon to avoid feeding them, then racing across the map with more speed, and unpacking them for battle. It also allows you to take unlimited troops onto a ship, and to get maximum profit off battlefield loot, by letting you sell to towns long after their merchants would be out of scillingas. You can still use the wagon, but acknowledge that it makes the game far, far, far trivial than it was meant to be.

Don't use the mystic merchant.

This also ruins the game's economy, and makes it impossible to justify buying weapons or armor from the regular merchants, when you could take a chance and get a lordly or tempered version. It's also deeply unrealistic. I don't usually like to force my own gameplay on other people, especially since I'm not a skilled enough modder to include an 'enable/disable' switch. So these files don't affect the merchant. But you'll have more fun if you ignore him.

Companions

One of the least entertaining aspects of Brytenwalda to me, is companion management. As well as getting them all at level 1, and having it take forever for them to be of any use, excepting Aleifr with his trade. I've made all of the Companions useful in this mod, and those you take from level to 5 to level 20, will have more attributes and skill points than those you get at level 20, making them worth the investment, or for short-term long-term decisions to be made.

What I would have liked to do however, is limit the number of companions to either 6 at one time, or to tie the number of companions you're allowed to your leadership skill. I wasn't able to figure out how to do this, yet. You should be aware of that philosophy regarding them, even though it's up to you, whether to adhere to it or not.

INSTALLATION

Just drop the files into your Brytenwalda module. Overwrite as necessary. Back up the replaced files as you desire.

LINK:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9xjlugcji9mtoxr/AABXD1DIuVbVm0W_3_lEOqLBa

Finally, and I'll make this post as an addendum because the first one is huge, and this is slightly off topic and there's no way around it...

Both the Supply Wagon and the Mystic Merchant feel like cheating to me.

Supply wagon thoughts - The supply wagon in particular, allows you to store an almost unlimited number of troops and prisoners, then pull them out of thin air whenever you need them. I got in the habit of zipping around the map with just my companions, and unpacking a tailor made warband for each encounter, with 300-400 troops stashed there. I also had something like ~120 dena pirate prisoners, that I would periodically take ten from and hire them.

I also would individually hire ship captains or caravan masters, who were well worth the -10 morale hit, and would eventually concede no matter how many times they refused you asking.

The supply wagon also somewhat ruins the game's economy, by allowing you to hoover up every battlefield, sell all your crap despite towns being out of scillingas or space for more items, and keep an infinite number of prisoners. Not to mention carry a more or less unlimited number of supplies. With the wagon, I could jump on a ship and land with 500 men and plenty of supplies in Ireland. I was able to amass more than a hundred thousand scillingas in savings after about a month of having the wagon. And I'd say that about 75,000 of it came from being able to sell everything without limits, and storing prisoners.

Without the wagon, I find the lair MUCH more useful as a place to store troops and food, and getting a castle or village near where you expand, or keeping a supply depot is very important. It's also important, with big armies, to forego carrying too many horses or spare weapons in your inventory, and stocking up with food if you intend to win a siege. You can't just zip to a location, then unpack your army once you get there. And again, it makes lairs, castle, village and household storage much more useful.

Yes. It is a little bit annoying to have to babysit clerics, caravan masters, whores and spies (lair helps with that, but caravan masters seem destined to death). Who I would ordinarily put in the supply wagon space. But even though the wagon has some good points, its just too abusable, and I guess I'm too weak to keep from abusing it. So I don't build it anymore. It just feels like the game's economy was intended to function by not letting you get full value from every item of loot and every prisoner. And at least now, it pays to invest in inventory management...which I think already is supposed to represent your 'supply train'.

This would work if the supply wagon was better at dumping all your troops and prisoners into your main party upon leaving the screen, but it doesn't currently work. And there's still the problem with selling all the battlefield detritus long past when most towns should be able to support it. There's also a fun bug where it will sporadically duplicate your prisoners, if you have too many of them and add them to your actual army as troops. That's how I got a surprise gift of 68 geogoth seaxa.

Mystic merchants thoughts - It's just outright cheating, and a lamentable inclusion. I no longer buy anything from the armorer or weaponsmith. Only from the mystic merchant, where I might get a tempered or balanced weapon at a fraction of the cost. I hate this guy, and I hate what he does to the game, but I can't stop using him. I wish I knew how to remove him, so that I'd actually feel tempted, someday, to spend money in the armorer or weaponsmith again.

If there is a way to remove the merchant from the game, without having to recompile everything in python, please let me know.

I agree with pretty much all points but I same as you have only discovered this mod fairly recently.

Although, you should note that some of these little things that are bugging you can be turned off via the mod options. The armor penalties, tripping, fatigue/stamina, etc.

I personally would like to see something done about pretty much all you listed, BUT whoever were to mod all that would have to do it very meticulously and not screw up 'cause this mod + TML is already the closest thing to perfect warband mods have seen imo.

SillyWilly said:
I agree with pretty much all points but I same as you have only discovered this mod fairly recently.

Although, you should note that some of these little things that are bugging you can be turned off via the mod options. The armor penalties, tripping, fatigue/stamina, etc.

I personally would like to see something done about pretty much all you listed, BUT whoever were to mod all that would have to do it very meticulously and not screw up 'cause this mod + TML is already the closest thing to perfect warband mods have seen imo.

I like the penalties, tripping and fatigue, though. I just wish they were implemented a little differently. -2 instead of -3 for heavy armor, down to a 5% instead of 10% chance for tripping. The fatigue/stamina is fine. But it would be nice to be able to raise power strike/athletics past 5/6, even if the effective level remains 5/6, to compensate for heavier armor.

I've also gone through, since my last post, and taken a pass across all of the troops, to make their stats more realistic, and to give some slight differentiation between the factions. It seemed odd that all, even peasant-level troops, had maxed athletics, and in some cases, higher skills than the troop a tier above them. A great many troop types were given a base 30 strength/20 agility, which seemed unreal.

I left elites, tournament/arena warrior, special characters like lords alone for the most part. But the rest of the rosters were brought more in line with reality. I don't see any reason for a camp follower to have 15 strength, for example. I made it so camp followers level up very quickly (starting from level 1 and ending around 12), but to where a soldier's wife (the final tier) is about on level with a basic soldier, low-tiered soldier...instead of having like 24 strength.

Agility and athletics were made reasonable across the board. All factions have a slight advantage in something. Irish are better throwers, Picts have better athletics, Angles/Saxons/Jutes have better iron flesh. Germanics have slightly higher strength. Celtics have slightly higher agility.

Making the armies more realistic actually works to the player's disadvantage. Since it's easy for a player to recruit tons of villagers and tier them up once, and even tier-2 troops had nearly 30 strength and almost 20 agility. Not great, but enough to hold a shield wall while you hammer and anvil those dena pirates. Making the climb more steep, and more accentuating the superiority of elites, works to the AI's advantage, as they have an easier time acquiring higher-tier troops, at least until the late-late game.

It also seems that battles flow a little bit better, and maybe it's my imagination, but they're not quite so choppy/lappy, with supercharged/superfast NPCs zipping around (literally, almost every unit in the game had maxed athletics).

If someone comes along, and can actually help me with what I put in italics in the first post, I'll release this as an actual submod. If noone comes around, after I finish tinkering with it, I'll just put up the collection of txt files.

Hey, maybe try talking to the TML guy(s) and see what they think about all this and perhaps get it included in their next update or something?

I think that would just be the most efficient and effective way.

SillyWilly said:
Hey, maybe try talking to the TML guy(s) and see what they think about all this and perhaps get it included in their next update or something?

I think that would just be the most efficient and effective way.

It's a lot of editing. I personally think that it's much improved the game's economy, but I was hoping one of those TML or other guys would weigh in and tell me if I've made a disastrous mistake somewhere or overlooked something. But there hasn't seemed to be much interest.

A lot of it does seems so overdue for being adjusted, like all units having maxed athletics, extremely valuable cloth junk, overpowered axes and cattle abuse, that I'm surprised no one has done it yet.

I just replied to your "little factions declare war ..." thread, only to find now your massive submodding announcement, wow!

I'm (no, rather was) also a realism (hardcore-)modder (not M&B though), and after doing that for years, i swore to myself that i never start it again. The problem is, game-balancing is practically a never-ending job. You've certainly a lot of right points in your descriptions above, on the other side (comically) the balance-unrealism in the game seems to work, makes it somehow special-challenging/interesting and even more entertaining, and in this game i comically don't stumble upon it (although i'm a Total War series realism modder for nearly ten years, but i judge/see on the games completerly different ... different approaches ... also recently i come from playing Skyrim).

A question: Are the extreme high skill AI values incl. partly same stats low/mid/high tier NPC's a Brytenwalda feature or is that the same in Native? Well, at least in the game, and Brytenwalda increased the effect, heavy equipment has a real impact on ie. athletics, weapon movement and such ... means for example, light equipped troops move much lighter/faster is practically a working realism feature ... the animations though could be better, lol, but all the comic makes the game also somehow funny/entertaining imo..

What bugs me really, is the strategical disbalance with Brytenwalda's factions, the campaign-flow (superior Mierce and Pengwern ... Saxons get destroyed etc. overall the historical factions disappear fast ... repetitive and complete vs history ...lol). In such a historical framework like Brytenwalda, i wish there would be a balance that makes it a long, very long story to erase a faction, and better would be a way, that the faction names can be kept somehow when conquered incl. their former lords, ie. client kingdoms of the new ruler ... that would reflect the history of the Brytenwalda time.
Edit: Should've posted that in the other thread though, lol.

Edit2: I've also read a bit through the TML mod description and i'm personally not so much fond of it, a few changes might be alright though, for adjustments ... modding-work is a never ending adjustment, and the Brytenwalda team imo. made it right to stop the development at some point.

DaVincix said:
I just replied to your "little factions declare war ..." thread, only to find now your massive submodding announcement, wow!

I'm (no, rather was) also a realism (hardcore-)modder (not M&B though), and after doing that for years, i swore to myself that i never start it again. The problem is, game-balancing is practically a never-ending job. You've certainly a lot of right points in your descriptions above, on the other side (comically) the balance-unrealism in the game seems to work, makes it somehow special-challenging/interesting and even more entertaining, and in this game i comically don't stumble upon it (although i'm a Total War series realism modder for nearly ten years, but i judge/see on the games completerly different ... different approaches ... also recently i come from playing Skyrim).

A question: Are the extreme high skill AI values incl. partly same stats low/mid/high tier NPC's a Brytenwalda feature or is that the same in Native? Well, at least in the game, and Brytenwalda increased the effect, heavy equipment has a real impact on ie. athletics, weapon movement and such ... means for example, light equipped troops move much lighter/faster is practically a working realism feature ... the animations though could be better, lol, but all the comic makes the game also somehow funny/entertaining imo..

What bugs me really, is the strategical disbalance with Brytenwalda's factions, the campaign-flow (superior Mierce and Pengwern ... Saxons get destroyed etc. overall the historical factions disappear fast ... repetitive and complete vs history ...lol). In such a historical framework like Brytenwalda, i wish there would be a balance that makes it a long, very long story to erase a faction, and better would be a way, that the faction names can be kept somehow when conquered incl. their former lords, ie. client kingdoms of the new ruler ... that would reflect the history of the Brytenwalda time.
Edit: Should've posted that in the other thread though, lol.

Edit2: I've also read a bit through the TML mod description and i'm personally not so much fond of it, a few changes might be alright though, for adjustments ... modding-work is a never ending adjustment, and the Brytenwalda team imo. made it right to stop the development at some point.

I come from a similar Total War/Crusader Kings realism modding background, so naturally, that's why I couldn't help but adjust Brytenwalda, after recently discovering Warband.

I've made quite a few more adjustments since then, mostly in troops, dealing with their equipment and such as to be more realistic, and gave them more unique traits that made better sense.

In most all of my warband games, the realistic limit for XP was around 30-35 levels. it costs something like 200k XP to get to level 26. But it costs 2 million XP to get to level 40. The best 'troops' are around level 32.

A lot of troop levels are artificially inflated as well (i.e, all peasants at 15) so as to make their cost more expensive and training them take longer. I'm good with that. But their stats were also grossly inflated.

Pretty much everyone had cut and paste maxed or near-maxed skills (such as Athletics or Riding) except in very few circumstances. Even level 23s had like 30 strength and 20 agility. I went through and made them all more realistic.

But I also play with normal damage, tripping, fatigue and armor penalties. If someone turned all those off, they'd find things easier. But I just wanted it to be fair. There was no reason a peasant woman should have 16 strength, 4 power throw, and 6 athletics. Even those peasant villagers you train, and fight up to 3 at one time, had beast mode stats. Which is fine, if you're playing with quarter damage, no tripping, and have 10 power strike. But not otherwise.

I also changed skills around. Increased the cap on Power Strike, Power Throw and Power Draw to 7, from 5, and increased Shield from 3 to 5, and Athletics from 6 to 8.

Wearing heavy armor gives -2 to the power attacks and -4 to athletics. I wanted the ability to at least have a plausible chance of overcoming the penalty. Especially since athletics has such a profound effect on tripping and fatigue.

If even with maxed athletics, YOU GET COMPLETELY WINDED AND COLLAPSE RUNNING TO A SIEGE LADDER IN HEAVY ARMOR, then the game is not balanced correctly.

Most axes had damage increased and made cutting. Arrows were made cutting except for Byzantine Arrows and Crossbows. Daggers had piercing damage increased.

I've changed it so it's now Charisma that is responsible for Persuasion and Trainer. That just seems common sense to me - as Charisma is all about your force of personality and dealing with other people. But I put Trade under Intelligence (since the game treats Trade as being more than haggling, but your grasp of finance and organization as well, as when extracting taxes from villages).

I also removed Tracking, Pathfinding and Spotting from Intelligence and gave them to Agility, and took Shield from Agility and gave it to Strength.

Provided you play without the supply wagon (which IMO, is a massive cheat, and a huge unbalancer of the game's intended economy), then Intelligence is still very important for Inventory Management.

If I or someone else can figure out how to remove random declarations of war, I will release this as a submod.

Cool! I very much agree with all your changes, everything sounds plausible and i'm interested how that plays out in comparison Brytenwalda vanilla. If you release the files i'll volunteer to betatest and reporting for further refinements if i observe something.
Btw., also without the Campaign AI (CAI) changes, it's worth a submod release, and it's just possible that the CAI behaviour is hardcoded. As of yet i didn't see a file aka code for AI behaviour, and i guess it's the same with you, otherwise you would have provided a CAI change already, and so far i've read around, there is indeed no (accessable) file or at least nobody posted about this CAI issue anywhere.
I'm also a bit confused that there are overall that less files in the game folder, but speaks for TaleWorlds to provide such a game with that little bytes.

What i did so far (regarding the other thread) is changing the faction relations in factions.txt, still testing ... but from what i observed, it has pretty less impact if i make ie. the Welsh factions with better relations or the Saxon factions or softening the negative relations from Mierce to others and such ... why? I think the starting wars have much more impact for the ongoing faction relations, but i'm still too young with the game to judge on all that ... i hope for example, that adjusted relations work a bit in the long run, ie. peace is bit easier with the goal that factions live longer, just working the steamroller-item out - the latter would be my personal target for the campaign outcome. But this actually would need a lot of adjustment in a lot of files, ie. one thing would be to stop aka slowing down the fast and vast recruiting and upgrading for the factions, thus taking a famous stronghold or important location would be a much higher risk (while perhaps the garrisoning needs to stay high to work in this sense), also it might need a unit cost/upkeep and perhaps even an economy revision - all in all the game has already quite some good approaches to make raising/keeping a big* army hard, we might increase that, if it's worth for a better balanced campaign in the global view.
But: Far more elegant would be the mentioned client-kingdom thing though, or a faction re-emergent code, also in regard of historical realism.

*ie. here the related history would suggest, that it is just impossible to have a standing army (except some house troops).

We can throw our Brytenwalda-efforts together on the way to make it a realism increased us-fitting custom mod (with your public release), in other words: When i have time for that (and there will be time, as i anyway play that damn game), i'll assist with additional (because you do it anyway) betatesting and slightly modded faction files (in every case factions.txt file and if we find a handy way to change the CAI also such files).

Edit:
"If there is a way to remove the merchant from the game, without having to recompile everything in python, please let me know."
Morgh's editor has the troops modifier, also i saw commoners (all npc's are listed), perhaps one can negate their appearance there? But i guess you use that tool, too, and tried it all.

Edit2:
Btw., i fixed the so-called "pest lords" in the scripts.txt file with the code that was posted by somebody ... in case we team-up, so to speak, i guess we need to have the same basis builds. Mine: Warband 1.160, Brytenwalda 1.40/1.41, Brytenwalda graphics patch/es (1.40/1.41), Brytenwalda unofficial graphics patch ... no other submodding except that what's mentioned.
Now seen this in the OP: "I installed Brytenwalda 1.40, then the graphic pack, then the patch. Then I installed TML's submod, and over this, the spears overhaul (for the overhand thrust, but see the adjustment below)." Why not 1.41? Else, i also thought about to get the overhand-spear animation installation just for historical reasons :wink:

If you two do work on something and end up releasing a lil' submod please try and do what the other submods have done and make one for those with TML and one for those without TML.

Good luck, can't wait to try it out! (love me some realism too :razz: )

Maybe even single file releases make sense here, so everyone can pick something, but that is big service (aka extra time-consuming) for the one who provides all the different release stuff, for me impossible.

Anyway, for now i wonder why ajaxys build his submod on 1.40 (btw. TweakMB, Morgh's tools all work with 1.41, and 1.41 works flawless on Wb 1.160 patch).

Also, i would prefer a non-TML-content submod here :wink: ... but it's all ajaxys thing here with his file-modding (imo. he should release his stuff in any way).
Just when he makes his stuff on (or compatible with) 1.41 at last and without TML (or compatible without ... but i've read it up again, ajaxys decided with importance for TML), then i'm in his boat, as for file-basis and as i agree, in principle, with all his changes, and we seem to have the same view for the CAI/campaign design ... a very good team basis.

DaVincix said:
Cool! I very much agree with all your changes, everything sounds plausible and i'm interested how that plays out in comparison Brytenwalda vanilla. If you release the files i'll volunteer to betatest and reporting for further refinements if i observe something.
Btw., also without the Campaign AI (CAI) changes, it's worth a submod release, and it's just possible that the CAI behaviour is hardcoded. As of yet i didn't see a file aka code for AI behaviour, and i guess it's the same with you, otherwise you would have provided a CAI change already, and so far i've read around, there is indeed no (accessable) file or at least nobody posted about this CAI issue anywhere.
I'm also a bit confused that there are overall that less files in the game folder, but speaks for TaleWorlds to provide such a game with that little bytes.

What i did so far (regarding the other thread) is changing the faction relations in factions.txt, still testing ... but from what i observed, it has pretty less impact if i make ie. the Welsh factions with better relations or the Saxon factions or softening the negative relations from Mierce to others and such ... why? I think the starting wars have much more impact for the ongoing faction relations, but i'm still too young with the game to judge on all that ... i hope for example, that adjusted relations work a bit in the long run, ie. peace is bit easier with the goal that factions live longer, just working the steamroller-item out - the latter would be my personal target for the campaign outcome. But this actually would need a lot of adjustment in a lot of files, ie. one thing would be to stop aka slowing down the fast and vast recruiting and upgrading for the factions, thus taking a famous stronghold or important location would be a much higher risk (while perhaps the garrisoning needs to stay high to work in this sense), also it might need a unit cost/upkeep and perhaps even an economy revision - all in all the game has already quite some good approaches to make raising/keeping a big* army hard, we might increase that, if it's worth for a better balanced campaign in the global view.
But: Far more elegant would be the mentioned client-kingdom thing though, or a faction re-emergent code, also in regard of historical realism.

*ie. here the related history would suggest, that it is just impossible to have a standing army (except some house troops).

We can throw our Brytenwalda-efforts together on the way to make it a realism increased us-fitting custom mod (with your public release), in other words: When i have time for that (and there will be time, as i anyway play that damn game), i'll assist with additional (because you do it anyway) betatesting and slightly modded faction files (in every case factions.txt file and if we find a handy way to change the CAI also such files).

Edit:
"If there is a way to remove the merchant from the game, without having to recompile everything in python, please let me know."
Morgh's editor has the troops modifier, also i saw commoners (all npc's are listed), perhaps one can negate their appearance there? But i guess you use that tool, too, and tried it all.

Edit2:
Btw., i fixed the so-called "pest lords" in the scripts.txt file with the code that was posted by somebody ... in case we team-up, so to speak, i guess we need to have the same basis builds. Mine: Warband 1.160, Brytenwalda 1.40/1.41, Brytenwalda graphics patch/es (1.40/1.41), Brytenwalda unofficial graphics patch ... no other submodding except that what's mentioned.
Now seen this in the OP: "I installed Brytenwalda 1.40, then the graphic pack, then the patch. Then I installed TML's submod, and over this, the spears overhaul (for the overhand thrust, but see the adjustment below)." Why not 1.41? Else, i also thought about to get the overhand-spear animation installation just for historical reasons :wink:

Hey DaVincix,

I would totally like to team up on this. And I did install the 1.41 patch, which is what I meant. (Both the graphic and the 1.41 patch, I should've been clearer).

I've been doing a bit more testing, and later tonight, I'll release the files I've changed, and which can be easily slotting in or out. Hopefully, together, we can figure out how to make it more realistic.

There are other adjustments I considered making, but it would conflict with TML. I would need to have the TML version of their module system in order to seamlessly integrate it, and there are some TML changes that I don't want to lose at the moment, and I imagine a lot of other people don't want to either.

So I'll probably just release the skills.txt, item_kinds1.txt and the troops.txt files, and explain all the changes I made in a more easily readable fashion than I've written at length above. That's still a huge amount of changes, and even though I feel as if I've given them a pretty comprehensive test, more input from others would be great. I haven't released them until now, because I've been constantly tweaking and updating them.

I also probably wouldn't remove the Mystic Merchant from the game. There are too many people that like it, and it would seem selfish to excise it. Although, I personally regard it as cheating and a ruiner of the game's economy...I've taught myself to avoid it.

A major goal though, is the CAI adjustments, as you've written about, and I've made a little progress on that front too, thanks to your research and links. Hopefully, together, we can figure out how to make it more realistic. I'm looking at moto's files now.

EDIT: The skills.txt, troops.txt and item_kinds1.txt files are perfectly interchangeable between TML and non-TML. There's a BUNCH of stuff in scripts that I wanted to adjust, but that's mainly where the TML/basic 1.41 comes into conflict.

TML did make changes to the above files, but my own pretty much overrides it. For example, he changed spears to have equal piercing damage when swung as well as thrusted, and I changed that back to blunt (he did it because of how the overhand thrust animation works, but the harm in other areas was far greater).

Update:

I really agree with a lot of moto's changes. But I'm not as yet, perfectly certain how well it is integrated with 1.41. It'll need to be studied more closely.

ajaxjs said:
If there is a way to remove the merchant from the game, without having to recompile everything in python, please let me know.

Since I assume you are text editing, you will need to go to the consequences section of the tavern menu and remove the code that spawns the mystic merchant.

It's the same in Python, but it is astronomically easier. Which begs the question, considering that Brytenwalda has its source code released, why the **** aren't you using Python?

The Dark Robin said:
ajaxjs said:

Since I assume you are text editing, you will need to go to the consequences section of the tavern menu and remove the code that spawns the mystic merchant.

It's the same in Python, but it is astronomically easier. Which begs the question, considering that Brytenwalda has its source code released, why the **** aren't you using Python?

Because I wanted it to be compatible with TML. And changing one thing in the module systems, even if its a minor change, tends to recompile like 8 other files. I wasn't skilled enough to determine which is TML 1.21, Brytenwalda 1.40 or 1.41 changes. I've also recently noticed, buried in the TML thread, is someone's attempt at compiling a TML 1.22.

There are a couple things in TML, along with a lot of fixes to various bugs I'm not certain how to replicate. So I've focused my attention on files that can be easily slotted in and out.

As I engage in more research, I'll hopefully discover how to make an integrated TML and non-TML version more harmonious, as there are quite a few things in scripts and CAI related, that I and others, would like to modify.

Brytenwalda Realism Submod 0.5

Compatible with both TML and non-TML versions (there are only 3 txt files to be dropped in or out, that don't affect anything else).

Changelist

This is a more concise listing of changes I've made. More lengthy explanations and reasons for these changes can be found earlier in the thread.

ITEMS (item_kinds1.txt)

Trade Goods Overhaul

- Raw hides substantially decreased in value (they were equal to silver!). Buying and slaughtering cattle is no longer a road to unlimited riches.
- Most raw materials, such as wool or flax seed, have decreased in value.
- Most finished goods, such as wool cloth, linen or fine cloth have increased in value.
- Silver has increased in value.
- Mead and ale have decreased in value, owing to the cheapness of grain.
- Grapes and olives are more expensive.
- Food amounts have been adjusted to better account for their weight.
- Notably, Grain now gives 200 instead of 150, and dried meats give 225 instead of 150.
- Various other minor tweaks. Trade routes that you're familiar with, are still in place, but the profit is a little more realistic.

Cloth Armor

- All cloth armor, with the exception of noble clothing, have been at least halved in value. It made little sense for dirty shirts to give 70 scillingas from being sold.
- Some cloth armor have had armor values adjusted. Such as pants and villager dresses, or naked picts.
- In the interest of realism, changes here could have been even more extreme. But were actually quite restrained. Those who use the supply wagon to hoover up every dirty, ragged scrap or pair of trousers will still make otherworldly profit.

Heavy Armor

- Most Heavy armor has had chest armor modestly increased (around +10/+15 depending on the item) and leg armor substantially increased. It often didn't make sense, with byrnies or hauberks that went as far as the knees, giving hardly any protection. Brytenwalda also has a dearth of leg protection in general, with legs often being the most vulnerable spots on the body, which isn't that realistic.
- Various tweaks balanced for playing with normal damage, tripping, fatigue and armor penalties ennabled.
- Medium armor left alone. Which is fine, as in many cases, medium and heavy armor had nearly the same armor values before being modded.
- Heavy armor was made rarer in the game. It does not show up as often on some troops, such as frankish raiders or dena pirates.

Weapons

- Hundreds of tweaks and adjustments to various weapons, aiming for more realism.
- Slings, sling stones and rocks decreased in re-sale value and damage.
- Swords are both more expensive (doubled in value, as a minimum) and more lethal, and are better to thrust with. Many sword values had thrusting damage of as little as 11-14, making a rock or cheap knife more dangerous than a blade thrusted into the belly.
- Swords are a bit more rarely found equipped on various troops.
- A few swords, such as the Pictish and Celtic long swords, were moved to the back sheath.
- Most axes are now cutting instead of piercing damage, although their cutting values have been increased.
- Axes that retained piercing values, often had their damage lowered a little and value raised, such as the elite decorated axe.
- Some axes, such as hatchets, lost their ability to parry.
- Knives and daggers do better thrusting damage, making some of them a decent choice for armor penetration (as occurred historically, being able to fit through eyeholes and such). Some had their reach fixed, which were set as long as swords in some cases, despite the model of the weapon being far smaller.
- Spears do blunt damage when swung, and piercing when they thrust.
- Banners do blunt damage instead of cutting.
- Axe hammers do blunt damage. I know it looks more like an axe, but I imagined them as being more crushing-like, with damage and speed to show for it. The game also suffers from lack of any mace or maul weapon, which I hope to fix soon. I'd also like to make blunt damage not give an automatic KO.
- Most bows/arrows do cutting damage now, instead of piercing, except for pictish crossbows and byzantine arrows. But their cutting damage was very slightly increased.

Horses

- North Horses, Draft Horses, Paraverdus and Greek Armored Horse had their charge damage, armor values and hit points adjusted upwards.
- They were tweaked to be realistic, not overpowered, though in truth, could probably have been raised even higher. It's still a significant improvement over un-modded, where they seem to collapse instantly.
- Previously, a 800 pound horse barreling into a soldier would more often than not, come to a dead stop and inflict little if any damage. Now, a North Horse WILL knock over who it collides with.
- Donkeys, mules and ponies are virtually untouched, or possibly a bit worse (slower, less maneuverable).
- There can now be champion and timid horses as well. I would've liked to adjust 'timid', but that requires going into the scripts. For now, it's a -1 riding requirement.
- Riding skill requirements adjusted for all horses. 0 For donkeys/mules, 1 for ponies, 2 for North Horses, 3 for Draft Horses, 4 for Paraverdus, 5 for Greek Armored Horse.

SKILLS (skills.txt)

- Power strike cap raised from 5 to 7, to better accommodate a high strength overcoming heavy armor penalties.
- Power Throw and Power Draw cap raised from 5 to 7 for same reason.
- Athletics cap raised from 6 to 8. Having max athletics should allow you to reach a siege ladder without getting winded and collapsing even while wearing heavy armor. This was the easiest and most obvious change to make.
- I was extremely tempted to move Athletics to Strength, but did not. Feedback wanted on this!
- Trainer and Persuasion moved to Charisma.
- Trade moved to Intelligence.
- Spotting, Tracking and Pathfinding moved to Agility.
- Shield moved to Strength and had its cap raised to 5. They still seem to break way too easily, but it's a start.

TROOPS (troops.txt)

- All troops have received a comprehensive pass to have more realistic stats. Most were copy-pasted, and it didn't matter what level they were. A villager was as likely to have Power Throw 4 and Athletics 6 as an elite soldier.
- Soldier skills have been adjusted to be more realistic. Skirmishers and elite infantry are more likely to have higher athletics and better power throws, than heavy infantry, who are more likely to have better iron flesh and power strike.
- Athletics, shield ability, riding skill, as well as Power Strike/Power Throw etc have all been distributed with the raised caps in mind, and taking into account armor penalties.
- No more peasants with 16 strength and maxed skills. They're more likely to have around 9 strength.
- Some minor adjustments to troops based on faction. Example: Germanic units, such as Angles, Saxons and Jutes tend to have +1 strength, and +1 power strike/iron flesh on their units.
- Briton, Irish and Pictish troops, roughly in that increasing order, tend to have better agility, better athletics and better power throw. Britons are the best riders. Germanics and Picts are the worst.
- 'Special' units, like Ship Captains, Bandit Leaders, and various lords, were left alone. They're still technically overpowered (some are level 52!), but I suppose that's part of the challenge. Personally, I like to seek out the opposing lords or generals and defeat them in personal combat. And it helps them to stay alive a bit more, because they're often roaming around on their own away from the shield wall.
- Arena/Tournament units left untouched. They're overpowered, but making them weaker would only make tournaments even easier to abuse than they are now. Besides, you can reason that it's impossible to accurately model stats where the combatants are supposedly holding back a little and using blunted weapons.
- Villagers now fight like...villagers. The ones you dueled while training them, for example, had beastly stats and maxed athletics which made going 3 on 1 a fool's errand.
- Equipment was adjusted for troops. Some notable examples:
- Cantabrian javelineers now have horses, which they inexplicably lacked before.
- The 'huscarl' or 'hearthsworn' elite heavy infantry have exchanged their medium and heavy spears for battle axes and two-handed axes.
- Frankish raiders and dena pirates are less likely to have mail armor. Both were far more heavily armored than the Franks of a century later. They've also lost their swords, although Ship Captains might still carry one.

Companions

- Companions were given starting levels of 5, 10, 15 or 20.
- 5 Companion levels equates to 3 player levels, in terms of attributes.
- All Companions were given reasonable specialties, though none with a higher starting Skill in something than '7'.
- This represents a middle ground between Companions as they are in a semi-worthless state, and Companions in the defunct Stronger Companions submod, which were quite overpowered by letting you spend all their points and going up to level 33.
- I tried to give each Companion a little flavor to them. The Welsh companions tend to be good at archery and spear use. Example: Ultan is a decent combat medic, with a high Iron Flesh, Power Strike and decent two-handed, but who lacks Surgery. Bridei is a good tracker.

MISC NOTES (OR HOW BEST TO ENJOY THIS MOD)

In module.ini, change the damage soak values to these:

armor_soak_factor_against_cut      = 0.75
armor_soak_factor_against_pierce    = 0.50
armor_soak_factor_against_blunt    = 0.30

armor_reduction_factor_against_cut      = 0.80
armor_reduction_factor_against_pierce    = 0.40
armor_reduction_factor_against_blunt    = 0.65

Don't play with the supply wagon.

It's an entertaining concept, but it completely wrecks the game's economy, and allows you to engage in all kinds of cheating. Like stashing troops in a wagon to avoid feeding them, then racing across the map with more speed, and unpacking them for battle. It also allows you to take unlimited troops onto a ship, and to get maximum profit off battlefield loot, by letting you sell to towns long after their merchants would be out of scillingas. You can still use the wagon, but acknowledge that it makes the game far, far, far trivial than it was meant to be.

Don't use the mystic merchant.

This also ruins the game's economy, and makes it impossible to justify buying weapons or armor from the regular merchants, when you could take a chance and get a lordly or tempered version. It's also deeply unrealistic. I don't usually like to force my own gameplay on other people, especially since I'm not a skilled enough modder to include an 'enable/disable' switch. So these files don't affect the merchant. But you'll have more fun if you ignore him.

Companions

One of the least entertaining aspects of Brytenwalda to me, is companion management. As well as getting them all at level 1, and having it take forever for them to be of any use, excepting Aleifr with his trade. I've made all of the Companions useful in this mod, and those you take from level to 5 to level 20, will have more attributes and skill points than those you get at level 20, making them worth the investment, or for short-term long-term decisions to be made.

What I would have liked to do however, is limit the number of companions to either 6 at one time, or to tie the number of companions you're allowed to your leadership skill. I wasn't able to figure out how to do this, yet. You should be aware of that philosophy regarding them, even though it's up to you, whether to adhere to it or not.

Why limit them? Because making tactical choices as to choosing which companions to complement or enhance your own abilities is a time-honored RPG mechanic. Grabbing all of them, and then dealing with the headache of them *****ing about each other, is just silly. Also, with only six of them, their various personality disputes take on more nuance.

INSTALLATION

Just drop the files into your Brytenwalda module. Overwrite as necessary. Back up the replaced files as you desire.

LINK:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9xjlugcji9mtoxr/AABXD1DIuVbVm0W_3_lEOqLBa

The master himself showed up, thumbs up!

Ajaxys, very very well ... i'll install it immediately for my next campaign start.

I have nothing to complain, except here is a thought on horses: (historical-realism though)
Horses

Well, i'm actually quite a medieval (and other periods) history specialist (ie. i'm/was the leader of Chivalry Total War, just in case somebody knows that mod).

Horses ... aka horsemen in the time of Brytenwalda were no tank-units like in later medieval times (speaking of northern europe alone, it started with the Frankish horsemen under Karl Martell vs. the invasion of the iberian Moors, which initially started the feudal knightdom, 732, battle of Tours and Poitiers ... everybody can google it).

The stirrup wasn't used here, not known in Britain at the time of Brytenwalda mod, we are just at 636 AD.

That means:
- Horsemen were mainly skirmisher units, light troops to screen and disturb, bring unrest into  the enemy and such things.
- The rich warriors rode to the battle on their horse, yes, but then dismounted and went by foot.
- And only a very less heavy warriors would really fight on horseback here, in principle, if we would take it really realism, then we wouldn't have heavy armoured units on the horse, except the king and his staff (others lords of course as well), due to effect/prestige, but then probably not in the melee (a real BAI "bug" in the game, the head-on charge alone to the enemy!).

- There might have been some medium armoured horsemen for melee, who were able to pierce/cut light footmen (with spears/lances/insert longer/other weapon) while riding, and even run over light troops with their horses, but those would not (like in later times) fight on in the thick of a battle on their horse (but retreat, and perhaps seek/wait for good situations). Those could be real professionals, mercs who owned their money/life with such "services" (but certainly extreme rare in Britain of that Brytenwalda time!).

- Else, horsemen ran down the fleeing enemies (rather catched them, probably, to enslave them), usual task for mounted units, esp. until the real mounted warefare started from on ca. 9th century (northern europe is meant here).

As for cultures here, you know it: Britons/Welsh were quite good riders (just the ones who could afford a horse) ... but that's it. Saxons/Angles ... no way. And the pony kind of mount would be the main horse, i would assume ... the other ones, very very rare ... what's the the North horse here? How come "Greek" horses to the isle ... from Roman times still (might be that is meant)?

Edit: Ah ... "Greek Armored Horse" ... yes, meant is certainly the kind of "cataphract" ... questionable, but well, a super-heavy remainder of Roman times perhaps ... if it is this, then it should be extremely expensive (just very rare).

Edit2: I forgot something important ... horsemen were just rare, but if they approached indeed against footmen in higher numbers, then one of their main factors was to provide pure panic (as you say, a beast around 800 pounds with a warrior on it ... imagine a lot of them running towards you), just only skilled/disciplined warriors would hold a line aka shieldwall :wink: ... on the other side, this kind of warefare was non-existent in Brytenwalda times (meant is a melee attack on horses on a shieldwall). 

... so, what does that mean for the Brytenwalda mod and the realism submodding? Not sure (without to change too much), but i think all horse-units should be hard accessable, of course the more armoured the man on it, the more rare.

Back
Top Bottom