How do you play the Rhodoks?

Users who are viewing this thread

RafaelCruz

Squire
I'm really having a hard time with them: a faction that I usually just trample people with.

I'm finding all the units of the rhodoks... pretty weak. And most of their infantry lacks close quarters weapons (the more tough ones have only long spears)...

And is it just my impression or every ranged unit from the rhodoks is worst than most of the other ranged units in the game (less damage, less range)?

what I'm missing?

P.S.: Why are all NPCs raiding my towns? Like.. JUST my towns, they are very insulated and inside the country, but they still track and raze them... wth

As far as I've played, I find the Rhodoks pretty weak too. Even if they can manage repelling cavalry with their spears, when they get engaged in close quarters they are totally useless, and slow by the way. And the AI does not use them effectively at all. Most of my fights against them resulted in an infinite shield switch on their melee units and not moving at all. And I don't really fear their crossbows, maybe due to the lack of high tier crossbowmen in their ranks.

I will take a look onto them this week-end with the Morgh's editor to compare with other factions, particularly Swadians which are extremely efficient in every way.

Well, I'm afraid that solution is to not play them. I'm very sorry, but we haven't done any faction balance, just troops and Swadia, Rhodoks and Vaegirs were each done by different person at the same time. Faction balance will be looked at after release of remaining troops.

You could try tweaking them, but remember that any skill or proficiency changes require a new game to work.

Actually Vaegirs are fine, playing as a vassal of them. They can compete with Swadians even if it is always a hard time compared to other factions.

I made a little googledoc last week to create my custom faction's troops. I could do the same for Rhodoks, to share this with people interesting in before the release, and even if it could help to balance them for the release :grin:

Anyway from now he can't play Rhodoks correctly, so a new game won't be a waste ^^

Link to the googledoc : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rQ9E7aSR0xlO2S7YC9YXXi5wq3SkjNQQt-ZbyuGTYjs/edit#gid=0

Based upon my custom faction. Have set everyone able to comment on it.

The Rhodoks have rolled most everyone else in my current game.  I've rebelled and started my own kingdom,  but I use a mostly Rhodok army with some Swadian Man at Arms as my cavalry wing.

The trouble I have is if I get knocked out and body slide into a Rhodok infantry man. I can't fight in close with a pole-arm.

So I agree some Rhodoks need some kind of side arm.

Well, thanks for the information guys. I think I'll restart with Swadia then, they seem strong all around and able to compete with nords/vaergirs.

And well, I'll take a look at that doc of yours Mr TrolKabu. Maybe put my programmer skills to some use other than working.

Leifdin said:
Well, I'm afraid that solution is to not play them. I'm very sorry, but we haven't done any faction balance, just troops and Swadia, Rhodoks and Vaegirs were each done by different person at the same time. Faction balance will be looked at after release of remaining troops.

You could try tweaking them, but remember that any skill or proficiency changes require a new game to work.

I'll make a ticket addressed to you in the assembla site... I had made a balanced faction troop setup for the factions that kept them themed yet balanced and without the massive advantage/disadvantages each faction has in native. If you guys like it I hope you use it :smile:

I've added the Rhodoks' troops stats, but have just started the equipment list. Will do it later today. And I will do the same with Vaegirs & Swadians to compare all their troops in a single list. If someone want to help I can give the ability to modify the googledoc. Just send me a demand on the doc and a MP here :smile:

At first glance, the stats of all modified troops (Swadians, Rhodoks, Vaegirs) are well balanced. Some may have a slight boost or nerf, and some others need changes (Psiloï for example have Power Draw instead of Power Throw), but the biggest differences will occur on their equipements, I guess, which will be much harder to compare in a global scheme.

The only odd choice I've seen thus far is Swadia getting supply runners and rhodok doesn't...despite Swadian still being a cavalry civ with it's ranged/infantry in support roles, while Rhodok is the sort of ranged heavy defensive faction you'd expect to have a disiplined group of supply runners to keep their death-engines firing. Though yeah, everyone should have at least short-sword side arm aside from the very low tier units that could use a knife or club. Generally speaking spearmen typically carried a short-sword or light pick/hammer as a secondary weapon for quickly finishing off a de-horsed knight, since a spear had to aimed at weak point in the armor, while a hammer or pick they could just jump on and lay into them.

Sorry for masturbating my ego and quoting myself, but
Leifdin said:
All arguments about balance are quite invalid now since only half of factions are done and of course, they will need a lot of polishing. For example, one thing I didn't realize is how is Swadian infantry good. I have great difficulties to make better infantry for Nords. Those for example will need to get nerfed. I wouldn't be too excited about Praven Knights. They are end game units, and you can get infantry/archers army which is almost unbeatable and costs half as much...plus it's much more efficient in sieges.

And about Rhodoks: they'll probably need some buffs since I can crush a smaller group of Rhodoks only with my main character.

There is a problem with balance, each of those factions were designed by different person, we didn't know how strong would other factions be so I made Swadia stronger since they tend to get steamrolled all the time and it's easier to tweak units down than up in my opinion.

Gotcha.

Personally I think the Vaegir units are very well balanced but they need a kingdom management upgrade (maybe 10 more troops? They got a huge penalty to numbers here.)

Overall I get what you are saying with Rhodoks. I took out an army of 200 with 75 nordsmen, most were elite but I mean I took almost zero losses. I let my vet archers rip them apart while my veterans closed the distance and sealed the deal with the hurscarls.

dagg929 said:
Gotcha.

Personally I think the Vaegir units are very well balanced but they need a kingdom management upgrade (maybe 10 more troops? They got a huge penalty to numbers here.)
They'll be getting a buff in v0.24's update to improve their party size values.

Back
Top Bottom