Chinese corruption

Users who are viewing this thread

jacobhinds said:
Bromden said:
I like how the Chinese give the bullet to officials who steal too much.

It's a different culture. Ever since Confucius, the chinese government has (mostly) been about preserving harmony and order, almost to a fault. While it's previously meant papering over the cracks via censorship/aggressive retconning, the internet is making it harder to control information, so actually dealing with the issue is becoming the path of least resistance. I mean, they didn't even block the Wikipedia page about censorship in china.
This is pretty much what I meant by my initial post here, that inexplicably some people didn't quite grasp immediately. :razz:

jacobhinds said:
Bromden said:
I like how the Chinese give the bullet to officials who steal too much. That's something the western world should learn from them.

It's a different culture. Ever since Confucius, the chinese government has (mostly) been about preserving harmony and order, almost to a fault. While it's previously meant papering over the cracks via censorship/aggressive retconning, the internet is making it harder to control information, so actually dealing with the issue is becoming the path of least resistance. I mean, they didn't even block the Wikipedia page about censorship in china.
Different culture? More like different species!
[me=ColonicAcid]grumbles grumbles and waves stick around[/me]

Bromden said:
I like how the Chinese give the bullet to officials who steal too much. That's something the western world should learn from them.

Zc0aXRK.jpg

It's very much a product of Chinese culture: trying to apply that to Western culture and sensibilities is really just not going to work. Every culture, every government system and style has its benefits and its drawbacks, and sometimes its benefits are drawbacks and its drawbacks benefits.

The current style of politicians getting rich by selling off the country piece by piece is not so beneficial, and I know that a lot of people here would settle with the drawback of cleaning splattered politician brain. Although I'd prefer hanging, it's more traditional.

Dodes&Kenobi: thank you for your invaluable insights.

Dodes said:
It sounds a whole lot less edgy when you're personally effected by corruption. Which I can imagine is the case for Bromden, being from Hungary.

It's mostly cultural. In Asia, high level corruption's considered to be worse than outright murdering a state of people altogether. It's mostly sourced from ancient history, where flourishing city states die off to invaders or aspiring emperors due to some level of corruption in the country's ranks leading to a strategic failure in their defenses, and in those days when you lose a battle for the city, the population typically gets displaced (unless said city is in the borderlands, where people are used to switching allegiances at a drop of a hat/helmet/beheaded general) or outright mass executed. Therefore there is a very 40k esque grimdark view of corruption, where having corruption will lead to traitors and whatnot, making corruption literally worse than margarine, and people who remain corrupt at the price of the people's well being should be purged when possible, with preference to purging their entire family line and extended families to go with it.

That would explain the filthy looks one guy gave to another the one time i saw corruption go down in China. And this was incredibly mild, the sort of stuff that most people would freely admit to a police officer in America or the UK. Although i shouldn't say too much because i logged into taleworlds while i was over there (cases of people's accounts being surveyed). For all i know they've been posting behind my back

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-bosses-of-chinas-state-owned-firms-face-hefty-pay-cuts-paper-2014-8

Sometimes it is remarkable how different two societies can be. (And how similar, but I was struck by this article given how often we complain of how CEOs and executives in our country are paid and the like)

Back
Top Bottom