Chinese corruption

Users who are viewing this thread

This is actually a good thing. They're finally starting to prosecute corruption at the higher levels for the last couple of years.

Still surprising, as it's been informally known that retired senior officials are safe and secure. Seems this has now changed.

I have never been able to keep track of the Chinese leadership despite China's influence. I imagine that's by design.

Yeah, I remember when this new guy (forget his name) [ADDIT: ah yeah, "Xi Jingping" thanks IA!] was unveiled as the new head honcho, fighting corruption was item #1 mentioned on his "to do list." Overall seems like a good thing and steps to keep China from imploding and moving onward toward full political and social reform, which is admittedly still a generation or more away.

There's no such thing as a real head honcho in China - they rule by committee. Ambition is not tolerated, and is weeded out aggressively.

Anthropoid said:
Yeah, I remember when this new guy (forget his name) [ADDIT: ah yeah, "Xi Jingping" thanks IA!] was unveiled as the new head honcho, fighting corruption was item #1 mentioned on his "to do list." Overall seems like a good thing and steps to keep China from imploding and moving onward toward full political and social reform, which is admittedly still a generation or more away.

I wonder where the political and social reform will go, honestly. I mean I have my own thoughts and wishes on that, but whether that will come into reality...? I'd be cautiously optimistic about that coming around, at best.

Cookie Eating Huskarl has told me that they are working on some sort of "Thunderdome" or as he refers to it, "Chinadome" to replace the current regime.

This is what Säpo has been able to dig up on the project:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/01/uk-china-military-general-idUKKBN0G144820140801

(Reuters) - President Xi Jinping is likely to promote a corruption whistleblower to China's top military decision-making body to underscore his determination to tackle graft inside the country's rapidly modernising armed forces, two sources said.

General Liu Yuan, 62, the eldest son of late president Liu Shaoqi, is set to be appointed to the Central Military Commission during a meeting of the Communist Party's elite 205-member Central Committee in October, a source close to the leadership and a second source with ties to the military said.

Security had been stepped up around Liu after he had received death threats for exposing the worst military graft scandal in modern China, which involved the widespread selling of positions in the People's Liberation Army (PLA), three separate sources added.

Xi has made tackling pervasive official corruption one of his top priorities since he took over the party in November 2012. His crackdown accelerated this week when the party said it was investigating former domestic security chief Zhou Yongkang for breaching party discipline, a euphemism for corruption.

Xi has also demanded the military clean up its act and become more combat ready as China asserts itself in the disputed waters of the East and South China Seas, though the country has not fought a war in decades and stresses it wants peaceful ties with its neighbours.

Suuure, we're not looking for a fight, we just want to make sure we're militarily the top dog around these parts. It was easy to dismiss PLA when it used out-dated equipment and most generals had bought their jobs. Now, equipment is getting better all the time (I think PLA finally disbanded/motorized the last foot infantry divisions) and it seems that corruption will be weeded out. If it's possible - the full article isn't very optimistic.

Bromden said:
I like how the Chinese give the bullet to officials who steal too much. That's something the western world should learn from them.

I once said something similar and an attorney friend of mine pointed out that something like capital punishment for theft was grossly out of proportion and that such was anathema to Western legal traditions. For more information on "proportionality" than anyone could ever hope to digest: Proportionality.

We probably should be glad that fat-cat white collar criminals in the West are not subjected to capital punishment, as that breach of standards would open the door to a wide range of other disproportionate punishments. I don't think we would want to see people being held in the stocks on the public square for immoral behaviors would we?

Bromden said:
I like how the Chinese give the bullet to officials who steal too much. That's something the western world should learn from them.

It's a different culture. Ever since Confucius, the chinese government has (mostly) been about preserving harmony and order, almost to a fault. While it's previously meant papering over the cracks via censorship/aggressive retconning, the internet is making it harder to control information, so actually dealing with the issue is becoming the path of least resistance. I mean, they didn't even block the Wikipedia page about censorship in china.

Anthropoid: shame on you for listening to attorney talk.

Edit: If you think shooting them is disproportionate, just think about how many citizens' lives could be changed with the billions they stole from the country. A bullet is not that overreactive if you want to stop them leeching the country dry.

Back
Top Bottom