Vassals and building improvements in fiefs

Users who are viewing this thread

gx240

Recruit
Once you have your own kingdom, do your vassal lords automatically build improvements in the cities, villages, and castles that you give them? Are you supposed to build all the upgrades before you give them away as fiefs, or is there some way to continue building after they've been assigned to a lord?

gx240 said:
Once you have your own kingdom, do your vassal lords automatically build improvements in the cities, villages, and castles that you give them? Are you supposed to build all the upgrades before you give them away as fiefs, or is there some way to continue building after they've been assigned to a lord?

Whatever you do, just don't build a messenger post before giving them away, since you'll always be constantly notified of raidings even though you don't even own the feif anymore! That's what happened in mine anyway. You really don't have to bother with improvements though, the prison tower is just about the only worthwhile improvement. I'm not even sure whether npc lords even benefit from improvements...

I'm mostly concerned about the school and the mill. The school keeps raising your reputation with the village even after you assign it to someone else, right? So that would allow you to recruit more and better troops there over time.

Honestly the school is a pretty bad investment seeing it only gives you one point per month. And this is after spending a few thousand denars and waiting a few months for it to be built.

Do quests for the village elder instead. With just one quest you'll get 6+ months worth of what a school returns. It will cost you either a few days for training villagers or doing some shopping.
If the cattle quest really bothers you can use TweakMB to change it so they follow you around.

As for the mill, I doubt you'll ever see that money back. 5% increase of prosperity for a village that returns a few 100d/w. At best you'll get what... 50d/week extra?
That's when the village is not raided of course.

You can build them for RP or when you don't know what to do with your money, but your kingdom can win without them.

Vassals won't build improvements, but they will benefit from the improvements you've already made.  Whether those improvements are a good investment is another story--I think Filou has made an impressive case for why they are not!  Seriously, the only improvements I generally make are prison towers in my castles and towns.

Back
Top Bottom