Singleplayer has absolutely no effort from the development team

Users who are viewing this thread

Ringo625

Recruit
I literally am so mad at this game. I enjoy conqouering, building an empire, things like such, but when the absolutely abysmal AI and lack of content shows, the game is forced to rely solely on its battles. Let's not even mention the fact that when battling enemy AI they just crumple up in a line spamming attack as they chase you. You are FORCED to walk back or instantly die, there is no way to fight more than one AI enemy without walking back the entire time, they never stop chasing you unless they see a new enemy, it's just terrible. Instead of enemies crowding around you in a realistic manner or being able to slowly go hand and hand with your enemy AI, the game forces them to be completely suicidal and march single file in a line into you, spamming attack and hitting you through eachother.

The quests are horribly done, a village asks you to train their peasants so they can fight off bandits, you spend 8 days training them then suddenly bandits attack. If you don't have an army it is literally impossible to beat this mission, your training of them does NOTHING. Another terrible quest is when they request you to bring them grain or cattle, they don't give you any sort of solution on how to accomplish this. You are forced to fork out 500+ denars to accomplish this mission in return giving you an option to accept a reward or refuse viewing it as if they need it more than you, NO, you accept the reward and half the time they are giving you absolutely NOTHING, the screen is blank.

I hate when I see a teammate with 40 troops running from a enemy with 50 troops when I have 30 troops. Logically I'd help them of course but there's absolutely no way to communicate that and if you go attack the enemy with 50 troops your ally running just ditches you. Factions almost NEVER make progression, they just fight over one ****ing fort, if someone takes the fort then they spend a month deciding who gets it, stationing 20 troops there so then the enemy can just go back and retake it, its a never ending cycle. This game literally relies completely on great combat system and largescale medieval battles, which both are fantastic aspects, but other than that this game is bare bones. Almost no quests to do in vanilla, AI compareable to The Warz's zombie AI, enemy factions never make any sort of progression, graphics are abysmal(This certainly isn't a game breaker, but seriously, they look just awful) mulitplayer money system is so ****ing terrible, it makes no sense at all. Sorry for the long rant, just so frustrated and wondering if anyone else shares the same issues with this game.

Well, I agree with most of the things he says, but I think Bannerlord will surprise us all, since as I can see so far, the developers are really taking their time to make the game, and I think it will be awesome.
As for Warband, it's really not that bad, and if you don't like Singleplayer that much, you can always play Multiplayer, also there are so many awesome mods for Multiplayer, so you will definitely find something you like.

Well, some things are true and can be answered by : It has a learning curve.

A lot of quests are not worth it denar-wise, but others are.
You should indeed not train farmers, if you don't have a supporting army yourself (doesn't have to be a lot though).
Time - denar wise, this quest aint any good.

How to archieve certain other quests is indeed a bit vague, hench the learning curve.
Grain : Buy Wheat (somewhere in the context it's called grain, but when buying, it's called something different).
Just buy the foods in a sack. (that should be grain)

Cattle : talk to a village chief and tell him you want buy supplies. Select buy cattle (poor / looted villages have little cattle and are expensive)
You will lose relatively a lot of money, but this quest and the grain one (cheaper) are good to raise your standings with a village. (higher standing = cheaper trade / more recruits)

The AI can be a bit simple at time, but they do crowd you, given the right circumstance.
The only reason why they can hit through each other, is because the AI is not good enough to prevent team hits.
(You can hit team mates with an arrow, but they will shoot through you.. if they shoot)

The amount of soldiers is not the only incentive for parties to attack/withdraw, but also their level (correct me on this one, because it's not completely true for garrisons).
Having 70 low level troops will withdraw against 50 high level troops.
Not really sure how the AI decides to withdraw or engage, but they do engage when they feel the total force is big enough.
(Ie. A single army will attack a larger army, if you are nearby enough to help.. and you can decide not to help, destroying your ally)
I do play with the Expanded Floris Mod (adds a lot of variation + gameplay)

Yesterday I had my King Yaro with.. 450 troops.. against King Ragnar with 500.. Yaro fled with my 150 army right next to him.
(I have played a 800~ Vaegirs vs 600~ Nords battle against those Nords.. and yes.. Yaro was right to withdraw)

The reason why you can't select a reward, is because the village is just too poor. (probably got looted earlier, or the bandits were there too long and stole it all (no idea if bandits have effect on village inventory).

The factions do generally single target, but it's often the last captured fort/city. There can be a lot of variation in play and maybe you just have to adjust the Campaign AI difficulty.
In my recent game, Swadia has been destroyed (with message) and all became Rhodok / Nords.
The Kerghits only got 1 castle and 1 town, the rest conquered by my faction, the Veagirs. (I did not initiate any siege)
So it can change.. a lot.
Swadia came back twice with a single castle and still have 1 now in my play.

Currently capturing all old Swadian towns from the Nords in order to screw King Yaro and start my own faction.
This caused the 2 faction forces (about 1000 troops each) to fight around Khudan.
I'm making the Veagirs lose a lot of troops in order to make my independence easier :wink:

As advice, because I do think this game is great.. Including the graphics, which allows quite a lot versus a good performance (yes, it can be better)
- Try different difficulty settings, this might improve their campaigning and battling.
- Do not increase the force limit with a 'mod', because 800 troops wont always fit inside a map correctly.
- Get used to multiplayer, if you like it. You only get a lot of money, when you win, but you never really need expensive gear to throw a javelin at someone's head.
I only really enjoyed siege at the start, because it has  a bit of structure. (Team) battles are not that much my thing, but I manage to do relatively well nowadays.

- Maybe try some mods.. as said, personally, I think Floris mod is great for single player.
Online I have enjoyed Persistent World (not anymore, playerbase is kinda s-ewed op) and Full Invasion (large download)

You probably gotten Mount & Blade with the sale, but especially for its time, it was good (and yes, a bit unfinished single player - wise), looked good enough and was cheap at the start. (only 10-15 dollar?).

Some things just need time to get. If you want to keep playing single player.. just play windowed for the time being and keep Google open.

Most of your complaints leads to the native singleplayer.

So the most obvious answer is: Dump It  :wink:.

Seriously, play multiplayer, and most importantly, Join a Clan. You'll get many friends, and you'll be able to participate in many events.

To be honest with you, the native singleplayer in this game is kind'a crap. And as stated before, mods will change that. And luckily, there is tons of great mods out there, take this for example, and this, or my personal favorite, this  :cool:. So don't be such a grumpy lad, get out there and have fun!

Hope this helps  :grin:.

I don't play multi-player, but in SP I've discovered that getting a decent-sized crew is a must before you do too much. And train, train, train. Right now I've got about 40 in my crew, with three or four hired "characters" - I've found that which stats you increase for them greatly improves things. I went from about 150 training points a day to over 600, just by giving them a training point here and there.

I don't think this game is meant to be easy. :smile: If you train villagers but have no backup of your own, of course you're going to get overwhelmed. You just trained a bunch of country bumpkins how to "fight" - you expect them to be kick-butt warriors?

As far as the "crowding" AI goes, yeah, it's not perfect, but I doubt any of these warriors would do the "Let's form up into proper lines and give the sod a chance by only one of us attacking at a time" thing. If I had five people and we were going against one, the only goal would be to get in there and take him down. This "We will surround you and one of us at a time will fight you" is just movie garbage. :smile:

WDMeaun said:
Well, some things are true and can be answered by : It has a learning curve.

A lot of quests are not worth it denar-wise, but others are.
You should indeed not train farmers, if you don't have a supporting army yourself (doesn't have to be a lot though).
Time - denar wise, this quest aint any good.

How to archieve certain other quests is indeed a bit vague, hench the learning curve.
Grain : Buy Wheat (somewhere in the context it's called grain, but when buying, it's called something different).
Just buy the foods in a sack. (that should be grain)

Cattle : talk to a village chief and tell him you want buy supplies. Select buy cattle (poor / looted villages have little cattle and are expensive)
You will lose relatively a lot of money, but this quest and the grain one (cheaper) are good to raise your standings with a village. (higher standing = cheaper trade / more recruits)

It's funny that you say training peasants isn't worth doing because it earns you little to no money, but you go on to say that higher standing = cheaper trade/more recruits. While it's true that training peasants doesn't earn you any money, it also doesn't cost you anything but time and the reward is a relations boost with the village. Relations boosts are invaluable in Warband, because they don't merely provide "cheaper trade / more recruits," they provide better recruits. It's not uncommon for a village with high relations to offer tier 3 troops instead of tier 1 recruits. Every time I boot up singleplayer I pick a Swadian, Nord, Vaegir, and sometimes Khergit village to be friends with so I can quickly acquire decent cavalry, infantry, archers, and horse archers, respectively.

To OP's credit,
You are FORCED to walk back or instantly die, there is no way to fight more than one AI enemy without walking back the entire time, they never stop chasing you unless they see a new enemy, it's just terrible. Instead of enemies crowding around you in a realistic manner or being able to slowly go hand and hand with your enemy AI, the game forces them to be completely suicidal and march single file in a line into you, spamming attack and hitting you through eachother.
This is 100% true and also my biggest complaint about the AI. It makes fighting on foot so much more difficult than fighting on horseback that I don't even try dismounted characters anymore.

Orion said:
To OP's credit,
You are FORCED to walk back or instantly die, there is no way to fight more than one AI enemy without walking back the entire time, they never stop chasing you unless they see a new enemy, it's just terrible. Instead of enemies crowding around you in a realistic manner or being able to slowly go hand and hand with your enemy AI, the game forces them to be completely suicidal and march single file in a line into you, spamming attack and hitting you through eachother.
This is 100% true and also my biggest complaint about the AI. It makes fighting on foot so much more difficult than fighting on horseback that I don't even try dismounted characters anymore.

Yes.

And to those who would invoke realism: there is nothing realistic about a crazed mob forming a file and perpetually slashing and stabbing through one another in the hope of hitting you. Which they inevitably will when said slash or stab passes directly through the corpse of the bot in the lead.

Fighting off ten bots is a bore but would be far less so if they possessed only a hint of human behaviour: self preservation for one; must all soldiers regardless of rank, level or weapon proficiency consistently fall for a single feint? Is it absolutely necessary that they spam attacks until either you or they die? Yes, this situation can be a challenge - but one that is both unrealistic and unenjoyable. Where the same situation in multiplayer allows for some of the richest and most fulfilling gaming experiences I've ever had, in single player it's nothing but a chore - one leaving me empty in victory and frustrated in defeat.

Mount & Blade Warband possesses the very best medieval combat mechanics available. It also possesses AI that cannot make use of them in the slightest. Beyond modding potential, an AI with both the capacity to present a challenge and the will to live is what I hope for most from Bannerlord.

Orion said:
It's funny that you say training peasants isn't worth doing because it earns you little to no money, but you go on to say that higher standing = cheaper trade/more recruits. While it's true that training peasants doesn't earn you any money, it also doesn't cost you anything but time and the reward is a relations boost with the village. Relations boosts are invaluable in Warband, because they don't merely provide "cheaper trade / more recruits," they provide better recruits. It's not uncommon for a village with high relations to offer tier 3 troops instead of tier 1 recruits. Every time I boot up singleplayer I pick a Swadian, Nord, Vaegir, and sometimes Khergit village to be friends with so I can quickly acquire decent cavalry, infantry, archers, and horse archers, respectively.

I do remember something like this indeed. Currently my Single Player game with mod only gets you level 1 recruits.. just more, when they like you.
As money wise.. the training takes up a long time (although there is a time warp).
Spending that time on other things, will make you a lot more moneyz.

I wish they would incorporate a standard setting on -all- servers to instantly ban/kick everyone saying "u mad" or "you mad". Such childish behaviour.

Also I forgot to mention.. The AI is terrible for bandits/looters and such, but often with an enemy lord.. They should not just blindly follow you.
They should form a proper line to advance a few steps each time and charge when they get close.

Back
Top Bottom