The Human answer to the Noldor

Users who are viewing this thread

It´s a decision and thus your choice.
You don´t need them to win the game, not at all. Nor do you need top equipment.
If you can´t cope with that, go play some MMRPG where people will tell you what you "musthave" or how you need to be "skilled" or play the game.

This is a sandbox game for personal pleasure. Noone needs a CMKHO order fullily equipped to finish the game and if you can´t circumvent the time it takes to train them, just screw it and pick an existing order.

The whole point abou CMKHO´s is that by the time they´re really useful you don´t need them anymore. It´s just something fancy you can have to satisfy the Rule of Cool if you value it high enough to invest a good amount of time.

If not, skip it and pick Ebony Gauntlets or Immortals or anything else.

I think it's fine overall if we accept that establishing a CKO is not a way to fast-track the playthrough. Rather the opposite as a regular KO will get you there faster if you choose a good one and pay to increase their stats.

For the equipment you don't need that much time unless you're going for only the fanciest type of equipment. I finished equipping my guys by day 800 or so (so maybe 550~600 days worth overall). I was not optimal either as I improve some pieces twice.

The change that is needed IMO is to better balance time/cost in regards to the stats of the equipment.
I found it really annoying to have to wait twice the time because I wanted the cross to be blue instead of golden on the helm of my sargents, while it brings only 1 extra armor point.

Actually some models are better while being faster (see Veteran Horned Helm & Great Horn Helm vs. Horned Helm). Otherwise some models are just out of scope and will only be used for very specific looks, see Bearclaw Gauntlets for example. And I'm curious why anyone would ever equip Black Hourglass Gauntlets instead of Black Steel Gauntlets, the difference in looks is really subtle while the cost is not.

When you do the math some of the equipment are obviously better, like the Mettenheim Steel Mittens compared to the 2 choices at 8 or 7 armor.
(Yes, I'm that kind of freak, I did make charts for the pieces that were mostly alike in looks)
Gloves and Gauntlets
Code:
Armor	price (k)	Days		$(k)/armor	Days/armor
9	33		50		3.67		5.56
8	31.6		49		3.95		6.13
7	30.4		48		4.34		6.86
6	19.8		22		3.3		3.67
5	12		18		2.4		3.6
4	7.2		14		1.8		3.5
2	1.9		7		0.95		3.5
The 'fancy' armor 6 gauntlets that take more than 22 days are not included since they are obviously more expensive.

Boots and greaves
Code:
Name		Armor	Price(k) Days	Price/armor	Days/armor
Heavy Plate	38	49.6	 33	1.31		0.87
Noldor		36	55	 35	1.53		0.97
Black		35	31.1	 32	0.89		0.91
Polished Steel	35	31.1	 27	0.89		0.77
Polished Plates	34	28.7	 26	0.84		0.76
Iron Greaves	33	23	 23	0.7		0.7
Mail Boots	31	7.9	 15	0.25		0.48
Overall these are better balanced, although we can see that Heavy Plates are a better deal than the Noldor boots.
Again I did not include the stuff that was much longer to equip at equal stat, and there are plenty in the 30-35 armor range.

As for training their stats, I find that the challenge there is to train the companions. You need to have a good plan set out from the very start otherwise by the time you realize you need a specific stat it's likely to be too late. But even without much planning you can get really decent stat.
Then you factor the 150k to get 40 extra proficiencies and it's not hard to have your CKO on par with the regular orders in the same time it takes to equip them.

Filou, do you have the rest of the sheets, so I won't have to make a duplicate?
I haven't got a Qualis Cabbage on hand right now, but I would like to start planning :grin:

I only made one for boots and gloves. The rest I chose mostly on looks rather than optimize for stats.

Btw, not sure I was clear regarding my suggestion to balance according to stats.
The way I would see it is that similar stats have similar equip time, while the price can vary according to the 'complexity' of what is built. Currently time to equip seems based mostly on the complexity of the item.
I feel that would allow user a greater flexibility on usage. If you want a specific look you're not penalized on time, it's just more expensive.

Special items should still stay in category of their own, like Maltise's armor which is rather cheap/fast compared to the rest of the armor its class.

Dusk Voyager said:
Cost = base value * 16 * [1000 - (trade * 25)] / 1000
Time = [(200 - <another item attribute stored into a slot>) * sqrt(base value) * 100 / 2000] + 3

<another item attribute stored into a slot> = item rarity in stores
trade = local steward's Trade skill

MadVader said:
Dusk Voyager said:
Time = [(200 - <another item attribute stored into a slot>) * sqrt(base value) * 100 / 2000] + 3

So you guys are saying that there is a way to balance the equip time via the item rarity in stores, which should not overall unbalance the rest of the game.
Great!
:mrgreen:

MadVader said:
Dusk Voyager said:

This makes all kinds of sense :grin:

shoshuro said:
He wanted revenge :smile:

The patrol test was not that bad, the Noldor bow is kinda unmatched and made the difference. The battle took place in flat terrain with both armies being able to see each other upon spawning.

88 Pendor Supreme Rangers vs 88 Noldors (i was watching from far away)

1RSZO7u.jpg
IMO horse archers beat foot archers because of higher mobility and barely any accuracy penalty, although there aren't many good human bows that usable by horse archers.  I will bet on a horse archer almost every time because his horse helps him dodge arrows and also acts as a meat shield.

Bravado said:
IMO horse archers beat foot archers because of higher mobility and barely any accuracy penalty, although there aren't many good human bows that usable by horse archers.  I will bet on a horse archer almost every time because his horse helps him dodge arrows and also acts as a meat shield.
AFAIK horse archers supposedly behave too much like standard cavalry, but they're a great addition to your party when used well.

They start off charging the enemy which is dumb, but after the first charge they break off and perform hit and run on the enemy which can be very devastating.

Back
Top Bottom