Israel Today

Users who are viewing this thread

Just noticed ground forces of Israel entered the Gaza Strip on the 17th.

I'm wondering what the end goal here is. I understand they want Hamas to stop constantly shelling them, but then what? Do they intend to annex it, pass it over to the Palestinian Authority (the Fatah or whatever one), the UN or some other relatively friendly administration?

Might as well take it to the appropriate thread.

Weaver said:
Hospes fori said:
While I do not know what has been said in that matter, I imagine it is pretty much impossible to express a critical opinion on Israel's military actions without being called anti-Semitic and a supporter of the Hamas or the like at some point.
I guess Germans still have a knee-jerk reaction when someone criticizes Jews. Makes sense. :smile:
Or is it the same in other Western countries? To think of it, we don't have a thread on Israel and the **** that's going down there right now is hardly less horrible than what's happening in Eastern Ukraine.

A journalist over here in Norway caught some flak when she criticized Israel right after they entered the Gaza strip, but I think most people supported her. We've had a bit of an uneasy relationship with Israel and sometimes accusations og anti-Semitism come from there.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Given the ongoing East Jerusalem debacle I'd say annexation is the most likely outcome for the Gaza Strip.

Given that they handed over Gaza, what 5, 6 years ago(?) with the express intent and understanding that it was meant to "defuse" the situation and lead to a peaceful solution, I don't see annexing it as either a likely nor promising solution. I predict strikes, arrests, killing, destruction . . . when Israel feels it has caused enough harm they will withdraw and things will return to the status quo: Gaza embargoed and rationed; settlers slowly expanding; tense borders; extensive tunneling, black markets and crime; what is justifiably regarded as a virtual apartheid state in and around Israel; what is justifiably regarded as a terrorist state in and around "Palestine." And the cycle  will repeat again in 2 to 5 years . . . and again . . . and again . . . Eventually it will either escalate to the point of Hamas detonating a nuke smuggled into Israel, or (the less likely path) "Palestinians" progressively evolving away from a hopeless revanchist militancy toward more of a resigned acceptance of defeat and resolve to move forward toward peaceful civilization.

Why anyone is the least bit surprised, shocked or concerned about this situation at this point I cannot fathom. It is effectively the same story that has been retold innumerable times since the first Israeli victory over the initial Arab war in 1948. Israel has never lost and they never will. If it gets to that point they will use their nukes.

Far more likely that IDF will raid the border zone, demolish a lot of buildings (which will make the housing crisis even more catastrophic, especially as the Israeli blockade prevents deliveries of concrete to Gaza), arrest/kill a bunch of Palestinians, and then withdraw.

Eternal said:
Just noticed ground forces of Israel entered the Gaza Strip on the 17th.

I'm wondering what the end goal here is. I understand they want Hamas to stop constantly shelling them, but then what? Do they intend to annex it, pass it over to the Palestinian Authority (the Fatah or whatever one), the UN or some other relatively friendly administration?
Amassing clay.

Anthropoid said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:
Given the ongoing East Jerusalem debacle I'd say annexation is the most likely outcome for the Gaza Strip.

Given that they handed over Gaza, what 5, 6 years ago(?) with the express intent and understanding that it was meant to "defuse" the situation and lead to a peaceful solution, I don't see annexing it as either a likely nor promising solution. I predict strikes, arrests, killing, destruction . . . when Israel feels it has caused enough harm they will withdraw and things will return to the status quo: Gaza embargoed and rationed; settlers slowly expanding; tense borders; extensive tunneling, black markets and crime; what is justifiably regarded as a virtual apartheid state in and around Israel; what is justifiably regarded as a terrorist state in and around "Palestine." And the cycle  will repeat again in 2 to 5 years . . . and again . . . and again . . . Eventually it will either escalate to the point of Hamas detonating a nuke smuggled into Israel, or (the less likely path) "Palestinians" progressively evolving away from a hopeless revanchist militancy toward more of a resigned acceptance of defeat and resolve to move forward toward peaceful civilization.

Why anyone is the least bit surprised, shocked or concerned about this situation at this point I cannot fathom. It is effectively the same story that has been retold innumerable times since the first Israeli victory over the initial Arab war in 1948. Israel has never lost and they never will. If it gets to that point they will use their nukes.

I don't know, personally I never felt that giving back the Gaza Strip was meant to be much of a permanent gesture anyways, it was intended to defuse the situation, yes, but I always felt like it was less for political reasons and more for the fact that maybe they were unsure of their ability to maintain control and gave it over anyways to save the trouble. All of that, of course, with the intent to retake it at a later date. It would be a ripe opportunity for such as Israel's usual enemies are either practically non-existant as a military force (Iraq) or busy with ISIS and all that nonsense so they could afford to divert more forces into "pacification" efforts.

Vermillion_Hawk said:

I think at this point Israel had more or less settled into a pattern of just putting down Hamas every couple of years. It's kicking the can down the road, but it seems like the can is firmly in the Israeli control and they don't seem to want to change the situation.

State-owned Anadolu News Agency of Turkey reports that Palestinians have taken to the streets to celebrate the holding of an Israeli soldier hostage.

https://twitter.com/anadoluagency/status/490954414430384128

Back
Top Bottom