88th "Devils Own" Connaught Rangers Reforming (2014) (NA/EU)

Users who are viewing this thread

Halo99

Regular
[size=36pt]
88th "Devils Own" Connaught Rangers
connaughtrangers-ireland-banner125840740_beb158d8c1.jpg
Hist_zpse1673eab.png
The 88th was established in Connaught in 1793 and it bore on its colours and appointments a harp and a crown with the motto Quis Separabit – "Who shall divide us". It first saw service in 1794 in Flanders in the disastrous Walcheren campaign against Napoleon's troops and, despite their inexperience, the troops fought well, but hundreds perished in the British Army’s winter retreat that year. The regiment later fought in the West Indies, Egypt, India and South America before it joined Wellington’s army in the Peninsular in 1808. It was during the Peninsular campaign that the 88th distinguished itself as one of the finest regiments in what Wellington himself was later to describe as "that most astonishing infantry".

Posterity has ensured that we have a first hand account of some of the most extraordinary actions that took place in the Peninsular of that time by the published diaries of Lieutenant William Grattan who served with the 88th in Spain from 1809 until 1813. The Connaught Rangers were "the most Irish of all Irish regiments" (Oman) and in Grattan's own words were "a parcel of lads that took the world aisy" and "without shoes they fancied themselves at home, without food they were nearly at home." The 88th served under General Picton in the 3rd Division or the "Fighting Division" as Grattan was proud to call them. Picton himself seemed to have had a love-hate relationship with the 88th. When he first addressed them he called them "The Connaught Footpads" in reference to their reputation for plundering, but he soon recognised their abilities when it came to a hard fight.

It is evident that in moments of crisis he came to use the 88th as shock troops – heavy stormtroopers to be used at the critical point of a battle to break the spirit of their opponents by hand-to-hand fighting, and it was Picton who came to give them the infamous nick name of "The Devil’s Own". The many battles of the Peninsular War have filled many books but the major actions in which the Connaught Rangers made an inimitable contribution can be summarised below:

For example, during the storming of Ciudad Rodrigo, it was in order to confer a mark of distinction upon the Connaught Rangers that a junior officer or subaltern volunteer from the 88th was requested to lead the "Forlorn Hope", the first storming party through the main breach of the fortress walls. Almost certain death, but if he survived, the leading officer was normally assured a captaincy. A Lieutenant William Mackie volunteered and was granted the command, composed of 20 volunteers from the 88th. Before hurling the whole of the 3rd Division into the assault, General Picton gave this particular address to the 88th:

"Rangers of Connaught!
It is not my intention to expend any powder this evening.
We’ll do this business with the cold iron."
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Info_zpsbbf14270.png
Long ago there was a regiment on Mount and Musket and Napoleonic Wars. That regiment was named 88th "Devils Own" Connaught Rangers.
After a few years, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, and seconds ago the regiment disbanded somewhere during the final phases of Mount and Musket as Napoleonic Wars took over. After that time an one semi-failed attempt at reforming the 88th is now back. This time for good. Nothing will stand in our way to bring the 88th back to its former glory. Original Members have banded together to resurrect this legacy. We are finding many original members all the time. Slowly filling our ranks.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranks
In the Connaught Rangers, you are expected to be active, mature and well disciplined. In order for you to be able to advance up the ranks, you must show that you are capable of following orders, making constructive suggestions and have a good ability at the game. It is also preferred if you are active on TaleWorlds and on Steam, but most important is overall activity within the regiment. The co-founders of the regiment will always hold the highest ranks in the hierarchy and you should follow the examples they set: they will always be mature and well behaved, you must follow in their footsteps in order to go far. Do not troll, make the Rangers proud!
Colonel
Colonel is the highest rank. You oversee command of the whole regiment and are the one who leads it in battle. You are the chief administrator of the regiment and will seek to keep the regiment well maintained, coordinated and organised. You will handle such actions as diplomacy with other regiments (setting up linebattles, handling relations) and will be expected to know and understand all tactics and strategies. Of course, only I can be Colonel, because being the devilishly charming Paddy that I am, no one else will fill my shoes I'm afraid. It seems like you're **** out of luck, so don't come here expecting to get this rank. It's exclusively for woman-loving, beer drinking gentlemen like myself. Go on, clear off!
Lieutenant Colonel
Nearly the finest Paddie bastard I have ever seen, you are a fine good looking young man, often drunk with happiness due to your rank. You are a fine gentleman who helps with maintaining order and administrative purposes, you help train the men, look after them and give them a good slap to keep them in line.
Captain
Nearly the finest Paddie bastard I have ever seen, you are a fine good looking young man, often drunk with happiness due to your rank. You are a fine gentleman who helps with maintaining order and administrative purposes, you help train the men, look after them and give them a good slap to keep them in line.
Lieutenant
You are one of the finest members of the regiment, brave, dashing and a good leader, you are one of the main officers and you are to teach the Ensign on how to operate as an officer. You also cover the flanks in the line and maintain the men.
Ensign
Ensign is the lowest ranking officer in the regiment. You're expected to overlook Serjeants and Corporals and make sure that they're doing their work. Ensign also has a special role in the regiment and that is to carry a flag. You will be accompanied by a Colour Serjeant, so make sure that boy defends you well, or he'll be feeling my wrath! Stand to, my friend, and hold those colours proudly and high. Huzzah!
Colour Serjeant
The Colour Serjeant is the head Serjeant. He is expected to ensure that all Serjeants are doing their work. The CSjt also has a special role in the regiment and that is to always defend the flag, he must do so with his life. Let the regiment colours fly high above the pole upon which they sit, let the beautiful green cloth flow freely in the breeze! God save Ireland!
Serjeant
Only the most mature and compitent players can achieve this rank. Serjeants ensure that order and disciplined is maintained and, when called upon, command in line battles. The person who has reached this rank must be competent enough and have some experience in commanding. You must scream at the top of your voices to get those Paddy bastards into line, ship shape and ready for inspection by the Colonel, or by lord you ain't fit for duty laddie!
Corporal
My friend, your potential is threatening to me... you have proven that you are vastly superior to the other clasnmen, and you now proceed to work your way up the ranks. The Corporal is a man who will enforce discipline, and make sure that the others stay in line and perform their duties. At your fingertips you have the ability to be a higher rank, should you prove yourself worthy.
Lance Corporal
You are a skilled player, and your ability has been recognised by the officer staff. You have potential to become an officer in the future, or perhaps have just been promoted because you are an excellent player. You are expected to be active, mature and well disciplined, so you should never let us down. Men want to be you, and women want you (or vice versa if you're a tranny-homosexual).
Guard
Your the finest of the finest, the cream of the cracker, the cherry on the cake. You excel on all areas of melee and shooting, and your not too bad on the looks either, you are the top of your class. But still your still a peasant, not a fine gentleman such as myself.
Kingsmen
Your ability proceeds you, you're an amazing player and continually carry the regiment to victory, you have been promoted for skill on the battlefield, and for your excellent discipline and attendance too. Congratulations, young one, soon you will be great like everyone else above you (until then you're still worthless ****).
Regular
You are a skilled player, and your ability has been recognised by the officer staff. You will have been promoted because you are an excellent player. You have proven that you can play well and follow the regiment rules. The Privates look up to you, and consider you the best players in the regiment, yet you have the same responsibilities as a Private, but you are considered a distinguished player within the regiment.
Private
Well done, you've made it this far. You are the backbone of the regiment, you are what every soldier should be: good players and well disciplined. You have proven yourself in the field of battle, and you fight along your Irish brethren with pride! You are imperative to the success of the regiment, and consequently should make us proud by acting in the manner that is expected of you. Failure to do so will result in your removal from the regiment.
Recruit
Congratulations! You have been accepted into the recruitment process of the Devil's Own, you are deemed worthy of fighting for us on the battlefield, and you have been welcomed to prove yourself worthy to join our ranks. For now, you will be tested on your melee and shooting ability, and upon finishing the 2 week trial period, your application form will be reviewed and decided upon. This is when you will either be accepted as a Private (Pte) or removed from the roster.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Roster
Since the regiment is being reformed thee roster is blank. Old members along with new owns shall fill up theses ranks. Be one of the first to sign up! Fight for your glorious Ireland. Fight for her. She is your land. Let none take it from her. For if she falls you shall fall.
Col-Uther

Lt Col- Cuddles

Major-WolfBlood

Captain-Dezarus

Lieutenant-Attila

Ensign-Open

Colour Serjeant-Open

Serjeant-
Coolwhip

Corporal-Open

Lance Corporal-Open

Guard-Open

Kingsmen-Open

Regular-Open

Private-
Daybreak
Nighthawk
XG

Recruit-
Muttlesman
Vash
Jayk
Cow
Panzermaster
Sirbaconsalot
How to Join
Hurry and take your spot. As the 88th is needing men and woman alike to fight for their country! Sign up today!
Fill in the paper work and post it for review!
Join our teamspeak anytime and get to know your fellow Irish!
ts88th.ts.nfoservers.com​

Nickname:
Prior clan/regiment experience:
Which days in the week, are you able to attend trainings on (day and time):
How long have you played NW/MM:
If you have steam, whats your name:
Do you have a microphone:
Are you willing to be active weekly for the regiment:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Questions!?
If you have questions add Shogunreach on steam and I shall answer any that you have!​

Alright lads lets be perfectly clear the 88th Irish rangers already exist and have for nearly 4 years.  as such this reforming and stealing of a name is contradictory to the nature and community that is part of this game.  this reforming is a sham and is an impersonation of a group long part of the NW community and warband in general.  as such i am asking the moderators to remove and or lock this post.  i am happy to present evidence to forum moderators should they need it. 

I can vouch with the original 88th Irish rangers for I have been a member of the regiment for nearly the entire time it has existed.

Sorry the 88th already exists so scoot along your gonna have to find another name. we are still a verty much active reg.

I am in the 88th Irish Rangers and have been for two years. Our community is too alive to allow a similar group to be created. This group can not exist with the current name given to it.

I too can vouch that there is already an existing and ACTIVE 88th regiment, one that i am a part of and have been for a long time now.

I was the second person to join the 88th. I can tell you that the reg is very much alive so chose a diffrent name

I've been with the 88th Irish Rangers for about a year, before I retired. Out of all my time with the 88th IR, I've never heard of the 88th "Devils Own". If they just establish themselves, I would say they were just copying. First, the names are too similar. Second, I was told that we had that original name was Connaught Rangers was the 88th IR name. To be honest the only problem I have is with the name, just change it and we all good.  :cool:

DemonDaddy77 said:
I've been with the 88th Irish Rangers for about a year, before I retired. Out of all my time with the 88th IR, I've never heard of the 88th "Devils Own". If they just establish themselves, I would say they were just copying. First, the names are too similar. Second, I was told that we had that original name was Connaught Rangers was the 88th IR name. To be honest the only problem I have is with the name, just change it and we all good.  :cool:
The Connaught Rangers/ Irish Rangers/ Devils own is all the Same regiment. We cant be copying anything if we are the only regiment out there that actively uses the name :smile:

we do actively use the name in NW linebattles example 88th_IR_rank_name  so we do actively make use of it.  so you need to re do your name and organization

88th-Irish-Rangers said:
we do actively use the name in NW linebattles example 88th_IR_rank_name  so we do actively make use of it.  so you need to re do your name and organization
Could you post a link to your steam group and your forum topic? We dont use the same tags.

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791433344707/members

and we do not use taleworlds to recruit anymore so the topic is long gone. we used FSE forums for awhile and all our recruitment is done directly in game.

Ok let me put an end to this, all of these people commenting here saying that the 88th is an active group, yes they are active but they do not use the name 88th, they plan to use it for NW, but are currently known as the GCG, I created the 88th and Fury took over and changed the name to GCG, since the name change they have not used the name 88th until about 3 weeks ago, now they will agrue that the always had the name and never got rid of it well I have this to say, they have never once since the name change acknowledged themselves as the 88th they have always called themselves the GCG, also I rounded up all of the old members and reformed it into a group and CHALLENGED the GCG to a linebattle and they said no, hence we already had the name before you, also our tags are different to yours so stop trying to shut us down, we just want to play a game and the the GCG won't let us...why cause we are supposedly the trolls who were dishonourably discharged????? so stop whining

Also. I like how you all didnt have accounts on this forum until i posted my topic then put it on steam. Stop being creepers thank you. :smile:

theres nothing crepy about it as the mods can check IP. as such cuddles forfitied the name when he was removed the 88th over a year ago as we still and always will be the GCG_88th_IR which has been our tags in teamspeak and other events we recently returned to nw and went back to our old tags using 88th_IR_rank_name.  we have always been the 88th and will continue to be the true and actual 88th these imposters have zero rights to the name and should be removed post wise and linebattle wise till they change thier name.

Think about it. You remove us from the forums. Oh well. So sad. We already have linebattles and sieges set up :smile:.  See good thing we the the 88thIR_(Rank)_(Name) I mean oh no. We could of taken your tags. Man we dodged a bullet there :smile:. I am sure cuddles has no right since he reformed the 88th in the first place. I am sure you can always go and have regiment ban us from linebattles. Good luck with that. We have high standings with many regiment leaders. Many are even backing us. Oh thats not to mention the siege event we had on our server. I do believe a few people even said it was fun. Or the zombies event we do. Oh no! Yea i am sure you can get us banned from our own events D:. Hear that Cuddles. No more Siege's or Zombies for us. We had to ban ourselfs. I am fairly certain the true 88th was never under the GCG. I mean. Just look at old mount and musket videos.... Ever see GCG anywhere? Nope. My tag in teamspeak is [Pon][Captain]88th_(Name) But i mean. I dont use that in Linebattles. I know you returned to Nw right after i talked to Fury for the first time. Its no surprise. Didnt catch me by surprise. I would just ask you all to 1v1 but your all to scared to lose.

Back
Top Bottom