Greatest Battles of the Middle Ages

Which is the greatest battle of Middle Ages and the most glorious?

• Battle of Grunwald,1410 AD

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Battle of Hastings, 1066 AD

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Battle of Agincourt, 1415 AD

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Battle of La Navas De Tolosa, 1212 AD

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Battle of Legnano, 1176 AD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Battle of Arsuf, 1191 AD

• The Battle for Granada, 1492 AD

• Battle of Loudoun Hill, 1307 AD

• Battle of Stirling Bridge, 1297 AD

• Battle of Manzikert, 1071

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Battle of Crecy, 1346 AD

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Battle of Stamford Bridge, 1066 AD

• Battle of Northampton, 1460 AD

• Battle of Towton, 1461 AD

• Battle of Edington, 878 AD

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

matmohair1 said:
QWW said:
I know polling has been closed but the Battle of Tours is one of my favourite.
:idea:

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

DSCF9238.jpg

DSCF9241.jpg

Thank you, I found the Frankish warrior description particularly interesting.

Didn't spot that. Funny, I'd assumed they were all late roman copies. But i guess the roman helmets themselves came from that time period where long cheek guards were a given.
I also like how they didn't draw the umayyad soldier as they always draw muslim led armies, i.e. a bunch of bin laden beard clones with turban helmets. The Umayyad armies were probably full of north african christians, and the muslims among them could quite easily have been clean shaven wine drinkers. Islamic law was quite relaxed back then.

jacobhinds said:
Didn't spot that. Funny, I'd assumed they were all late roman copies. But i guess the roman helmets themselves came from that time period where long cheek guards were a given.
I also like how they didn't draw the umayyad soldier as they always draw muslim led armies, i.e. a bunch of bin laden beard clones with turban helmets. The Umayyad armies were probably full of north african christians, and the muslims among them could quite easily have been clean shaven wine drinkers. Islamic law was quite relaxed back then.

Yeah, the Umayyad empire was large and diverse as well. Not every soldier was even a Muslim.

jacobhinds said:
Very few of them would have been. Modern historians reckon that it wasn't until the 1300s that the "muslim world" became predominantly muslim. Until quite late muslim leaders weren't interested in conversion and actually discouraged it.

Yes I have heard the same thing.

jacobhinds said:
Very few of them would have been. Modern historians reckon that it wasn't until the 1300s that the "muslim world" became predominantly muslim. Until quite late muslim leaders weren't interested in conversion and actually discouraged it.

Perhaps because the dhimmī were forced to pay an additional tax.  :razz:

interestingly, Muslims pay zakat which increases with income and goes directly to charity
while jizia is stable and is gathered and used by the state, there have even been
records of some corrupt Ummayad officials who where still taking the jizia from new converts!

Back
Top Bottom