Floris and Linux

Users who are viewing this thread

Hanakoganei, I may have mentioned before, but I think it's because of a difference between how directX and OpenGL handle shaders. If someone set up their textures using shaders that were already in the game, then (and this is just a guess) those textures are benefiting from Taleworld's work in moving the game across platforms. It's only people who wanted to add graphical content *that went above and beyond* which are having problems. So, the stuff that replaces ground textures etc... In any case, the key thing is that DirectX is proprietary Windows content. Also, as I've mentioned before, the game and mod run fine (though a little bit slower) on Linux via WINE where you do still use DirectX, it's just when you try to break away from it that things start to go screwy. The texture format isn't a problem for OpenGL per se, it's just that you have to set them up differently. It can be done, and for someone who knows their way around the mods and OpenGL the job is probably even trivial... just tedious. Whatever the case, the game's devs said at the outset that any mods which changed the shaders *specifically* would be broken and would have to be changed by the mod authors.

Also, I did check Tevarin/Belani (which I forgot is all one map, just with invisible walls keeping you either in town or in the castle) and it renders just fine... in fact, now that I'm thinking about it, it's just possible that the sky on that map rendered properly too... I should go back and double check that.

Beta update just release, contains "an ugly hack" according to the devs, including some graphical fixes for mods... I'm now getting stuttering in towns and it seems to have broken our ugly hack in the process. Not quite up to doing a clean install right this minute, but was wondering how it's playing for anyone else (in case it's just my specific drivers or some such that don't like the changes).

autodidacticphd said:
Beta update just release, contains "an ugly hack" according to the devs, including some graphical fixes for mods... I'm now getting stuttering in towns and it seems to have broken our ugly hack in the process. Not quite up to doing a clean install right this minute, but was wondering how it's playing for anyone else (in case it's just my specific drivers or some such that don't like the changes).

How do you get the update if you only have the steam version? It seems like it is a beta only update, and steam wants a password to enable beta updates.

zolstarym said:
How do you get the update if you only have the steam version? It seems like it is a beta only update, and steam wants a password to enable beta updates.

I think the beta update was automatic for Steam... I use the Steam version myself, I noticed the news about it only because I saw my MBWB was highlighted with "update queued" next to it right before it downloaded.

(edit: The Steam version has a beta join password (which is something obvious and given in the Steam forum post I believe) but once joined the updates are automatic.)

I tested the beta update, but I see no differences. Floris still seems to work the same as before. This is on an nvidia video card and it seems like the update was targeted to amd video cards.

The only crashes I have encountered with floris are the enhanced tournament crash mentioned earlier and after you have first launched the game and loaded a save, the game will crash when first encountering a battle (or talking to someone) unless you go to a town and walk around it and then exit, after which point it will no longer crash until you exit and restart the game. Those bugs were already happening before the beta update.

Huh. I'm using an nvidia card too. It may just be clashing with one of my dirty hacks... like I say, I should probably do a clean install before making too much of a fuss. But, just out of curiosity, did you decide to use Kleiner's files or Hana's tut? I know you didn't sound all that enthused about them. Or did you go with the other suggestion you brought up? Or neither? Or something else? It may be part of what's making the difference.

Also, I haven't had the loading=>talking crash/bug (and thus not had to run around towns to avoid it) you mention... though the tournament crashes are still a problem last I checked.

autodidacticphd said:
But, just out of curiosity, did you decide to use Kleiner's files or Hana's tut? I know you didn't sound all that enthused about them. Or did you go with the other suggestion you brought up? Or neither? Or something else? It may be part of what's making the difference.

I am using kleiners two brf files

Replacing the dds texture files using the native textures seems to work much better than the brf editing.

http://imgur.com/a/RVgMk

The first image is using kleiners files, the last two are with replacing the files listed here:http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,217598.msg5207125.html#msg5207125

What tool was used in the creation of floris' dds textures?

Dunno what program was used. As far as I can tell though it's a collection from other modders. You might be able to trace it from the included mods list.

You'll probably be missing some bumpmaps if you don't edit the .brf files but you guys are facing far worse issues than that lol.

Yeah, I do like those better. Will give that solution a try eventually (I got distracted trying to get various non-linux steam titles to work in WINE... oy veh). Anyway, as Hanakoganei says, Floris is a mod pack, not just one mod. The ground textures issue, I believe, comes from a mod that specifically concentrated on that, so it should be easy to track down... though, I'm not sure how much info that might bag you. The character skins are (again, this is just my understanding) another mod, but I don't know which one or if it does other things too. And, by now I'm sure you're aware that the sky is also an issue in native, though, it's entirely possible that it too is modded and won't be fixed when native is. The Wikia for Floris does a pretty good job of breaking the mods down, if you haven't looked there yet.

Hehe, is that your first look at our troubles Hana? You should see a completely unrepaired desert combat. Black dunes on black backgrounds on black sky... all you can see are the horses, the characters, and the dust they kick up. It's like a dogfight out of Star Wars only with cavalry instead of Xwings, pretty trippy really. And it makes it surprisingly hard to judge distance or speed.

Yeah the sky seems to be modded too. I see an entry in the included mods. It's probably using the same techniques that Native used though, so the issues you guys are seeing are the same.

Update

So, the Linux port is out of beta. Due to hard drive issues I had to do a fresh install of everything, OS, Steam, MnB, and Floris. For giggles I just installed it and started it up, and to my surprise, most (but not all, specifically some skyboxes) of the texture bugs that plagued us before are no longer a problem. However, several new bugs seem to have sprung up. Disabling the special tournaments now sends you to an open field of that region type to fight, and transitions to and from town menus now seems to have a high chance to crash the game entirely, etc. Honestly, I just wish there was a version of the mod that was even more stripped down than Gameplay... I like the character creation, most of the shop tweeks, the landowner/moneylender, and a few other such "Floris specific" mods in the pack... but half of the changes, and almost all of the graphical tinkering I could do without. But every time I open up the DevTools to try and cobble together a stable pack I just get lost.

And even worse, I'm finding out that a lot of the alternatives like Silverstag use the WSE, which just plain won't work in Linux.

*sigh*

Any updates on this? As a Linux user, I'm eager to try Floris but if it's going to be broken then there's little point.  :???:

Confirming that the most recent Warband & Floris Extended builds still produce the enhanced tournament crash.

Found that after a feast many things blacked out. Images in the menus (portraits, etc) are. World map worlds. Combat is a black screen (but the game is still going and you can retreat).

Death cam does not work properly. The wasd keys move it and the mouse rotates and flips it (inverted, though). Num pad does nothing.

Not an issue. Also I don't know if this is a bug or me missing something, but I can't seem to collect the money produced by my land? Unless it's added to your purse directly?

Latest tests.

Using only the texture fix we found in the earliest posts, I've been able to play most of the game without serious issue. While the custom tourneys seem to work most of the time, I get the best results by going into the menu and switching to the native arenas instead.

I did download the Briton DLC, and that does crash frequently, but the base game plus Floris seems about as stable as I could ask for at this point.

An important note, I recently upgraded my MB, CPU, and RAM. Though, I'm skeptical of that being the issue, as the game ran fine with that hardware on Windows before I switched to Linux.

Back
Top Bottom