New History-Based Anno 1257 Youtube Let's Play as Nicaea

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello everyone,

I recently started a Youtube video Let's Play of this fine mod. It's been interesting, as while I am a pretty well-read amateur ... I don't know, "scholar" sounds a bit pretentious for what I actually am, maybe just "interested person" ... of the Byzantine Empire, I don't have much Warband experience, and even less with this particular mod.

The LP is focused on role-playing a Nicaean commander. I determine in episode 5 (uploading today) that I play a "dynatoi", a wealthy pronoiarios (landed full-time Byzantine soldier) who can afford to keep companions ("oikeioi") and a retinue ("oiketai") to aid him in battle, which is my "warband". That's how I fit into the world created by the game's engine. While I exercise more autonomy than a historical pronoiarios, who would be following along with the main army, I work for the glory and restoration of the Empire and eventually, hopefully, the recapture of the Queen of Cities herself, Constantinople, which did happen historically in 1261.

So I would like to invite you, the fans of this mod, to join me on my adventure. Primarily, I need assistance (though my regular viewers have been great with this so far) on making the most of this mod and maximizing my skill at playing it - initially in making money, as the armor and weapons and unduly expensive - though I always welcome in addition any comments/opinions/corrections on the history that I present.

Not all episodes contain historical discussion, but so far episodes 1, 4, and upcoming 5 and 6 do.

Edit 7-16-14: I can link now, huzzah!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM7yEwbhGUoozkBCrw0ztCJQy8QkCo_2U

Thank you!

-Marcus

Sounds interesting. I might give it a watch.

You might want to get gud at warband asap through - there's nothing worse than watching someone play a game that they're no good at (screw darksydephil). That said, I'm not sure how amateur at warband you are, but you should have played at least one good solid playthrough (becoming a marshall in 1257, starting a decent sized kingdom in native). There's a lot of material to learn in the SP campaign that's frustrating to watch somebody learning.

Not to discourage you though. The concept of a historical LP is great (I'd do it myself if i wasn't so terrified of my own voice), and the learning process of warband is fun enough to keep you occupied while you prepare for the first recording session.

Edit: you already started recording? Oh my bad, have a link?

Yes, I am probably too new to the game to be enjoyable for you personally. I'm getting there, I've played it hours on my own but specifically in battle I'm still learning things. I still think it's entertaining in that I'm kind of funny to watch on the battlefield with the mistakes I make with my personal avatar. I haven't lost a battle, though I ran from my first. What makes my LPs different is the attempt to focus on the history, not my elite playing of the game, for which I am sure there are many LPs out there that do that quite well.

I'm not allowed to link, but you can click the Youtube button under my avatar image. If you would do me the honor of skimming them and telling me what skills you think I should pick up perhaps I can take a short break from recording and learn them in my own time.

Thanks!

-Marcus

Ill give it a watch :grin: gotta love byzantines their Cataphractoi though not as well armored in game as knights (armor rating on average) Seriously mess up any formations i have come across hahaha I love helping out new LPers as well

I haven't got to a point yet where I have seen cataphractoi in battle, but one of my early goals is to armor myself as one. That's difficult, in that higher level armor is incredibly expensive.

Cataphractoi were the precursors of western knights and in earlier times were the most heavily armored horsemen out there (not just the Byzantines but the Parthians and others as well).

I'm not technically speaking a new LPer. I have done many full length LPs on other strategy games, including two on Byzantine or psuedo-Byzantine factions. I'm just a newbie to Anno 1257.

MarcusAureliusLP said:
I haven't got to a point yet where I have seen cataphractoi in battle, but one of my early goals is to armor myself as one. That's difficult, in that higher level armor is incredibly expensive.

Cataphractoi were the precursors of western knights and in earlier times were the most heavily armored horsemen out there (not just the Byzantines but the Parthians and others as well).

I'm not technically speaking a new LPer. I have done many full length LPs on other strategy games, including two on Byzantine or psuedo-Byzantine factions. I'm just a newbie to Anno 1257.
Wait IIIIIIIII am dumb for saying that i have already been subscribed to you for a while! hahaha well i dident even see your Anno Domini videos but ill give them a watch, It took me a while to get my Cataprachtoi Armor but well worth it! your name just dident click  with me for some reason but love your stuff wish ya luck.

Tournaments (one on one) yield quite obscene amount of cash in 1257AD. With max betting of course.
Especially when starting up there's nothing like it.
This seems to be more suited to your rp than soloing dozen+ manned looters/sicarii (good loot, fastest way to get renown) or trading.

There's also quite a bit of money in raiding villages.

@hellzeris - the forum will not let me post links. I don't have enough cred or something. I'm very sorry, but there is nothing I can do.

@magitsu - Thank you! Once I get some decent armor I'm definitely going to hit the tournament circuit.

hellzeris said:
next time throw a link to your videos so maybe more people will bother reading through your posts.
if you look under his profile picture there is a little icon that says youtube that links to his webpage

I just wanted to note that as of episode 34, Constantinople has fallen and the Roman Empire has been restored. The series won't end just yet however, as there are still dangers that lurk beyond the periphery of civilization.

-Marcus

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM7yEwbhGUoozkBCrw0ztCJQy8QkCo_2U

It's a great series! I've been watching every episode. As a new player, I've learned a lot from it and it even inspired me to start playing the game seriously myself. I've had the game for years but never really got into it. Keep it going, Marcus Aurelius :smile:

Thanks everyone!

As previously noted, if you are familiar with the game and the mod, you may not fully enjoy the first 20 or so episodes where I'm learning my way (though if you like history you may still enjoy them) but now I'm pretty confident that I know how things work, as the Latins, Bulgarians, Serbians, Hungarians, and now the Mamluks are learning, to their great misfortune. :grin:

-Marcus

If you check episode 46, Ferrari (up now!), you'll note that you yourself played a role, and continue to play a role, in their success.

Thanks!

-Marcus

I've watched a couple of your episodes and great LP

I do have one question though. Your world map looks very bright in a good way. Mine is a lot darker so just wanted to ask how you've done that? And messing around with the in game gamma setting yielded no succes on this matter.

RonniO said:
I've watched a couple of your episodes and great LP

I do have one question though. Your world map looks very bright in a good way. Mine is a lot darker so just wanted to ask how you've done that? And messing around with the in game gamma setting yielded no succes on this matter.

Hi RonniO,

I don't change anything regarding gamma in the actual game itself. I do however when I encode my videos run a little app that changes the color cast (RGB) of the video from computer RGB to studio RBG, which does a lot of things but one of the main things is it appears to lighten the image overall. That might be what you are referencing but I introduced that actually as a fix because my recorder/renderer made my videos too dark initially. Inside the game I have all graphical settings at max except anti-aliasing (I have it off) and shadows (I have at mid - I think.)

Back
Top Bottom