Formations

Users who are viewing this thread

ybreytman said:
is there a way to turn off formations and let both sides charge eachother as in native?

Sorry, but I have to ask - why would you want to turn off formations?

In the game the infantry always stay back and dance around before attacking the enemy. by the time they decide to engage the cav is dead and reinforcemts come, which makes them fall back to regroup. I was having a large battle 1200 vs 1300 crusaders vs Mamluk and crusader infantry never charged just went back and forth until the horse archers killed em all.

I am playing the 1.03 kill the peasant edition and there is no option to turn them off in mod options. 

Do you even read?

ybreytman said:
In the game the infantry always stay back and dance around before attacking the enemy. by the time they decide to engage the cav is dead and reinforcemts come, which makes them fall back to regroup. I was having a large battle 1200 vs 1300 crusaders vs Mamluk and crusader infantry never charged just went back and forth until the horse archers killed em all.

I am playing the 1.03 kill the peasant edition and there is no option to turn them off in mod options. 

Same problem here, love the game, hate the formation AI

Ive said it before, the infantry naver ever atacks, they are just dancing around, in formation.

Quite nice if you want to watch ballet, but this is war, not artistical dancing...  :wink:

Kenryu said:

Ive said it before, the infantry naver ever atacks, they are just dancing around, in formation.

Quite nice if you want to watch ballet, but this is war, not artistical dancing...  :wink:

****ING ANNOYING. I KNOW,

Nothing a few Teutonic Knights can't handle. :wink:
ybreytman said:

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but with your knowledge maybe you can shed some light on a question: I noticed that when you first join a faction, you aren't able to recruit faction specific units until after a certain amount of time. Do you know if it's related to renown, or "right to rule" or just exactly a certain amount of time? Sorry for the newb question. Thanks in advance, and sorry I can't help you with your infantry issue.

Kenryu said:

I am not sure what your problems are, frankly.  When the units form up I instruct the archers and javelin throwers into formation behind the infantry  (I keep javelin troops separate from infantry) - if they are a little slow because its so congested or the opposition are advancing too rapidly, I instruct the infantry to advance 10 or 20 paces to secure an advance position to take the brunt of the attack.  Normally, I advance the infantry, once all the troops are in the correct positions, and the other units towards the opposition and hopefully draw an attack onto my shieldwall (destroys enemy cavalry) and if engaged by infantry, I sweep my cavalry (split into 2 formations - one each side of my infantry) to finish them off.  All the time I am instructing the missile troops to advance behind the infantry and fire in their support. 

The hard part I find is when to release the horse archers - get it wrong (too early or too late) and they take heavy losses - otherwise they are very effective in pulling off opposition cavalry, allowing you to dispose of the infantry and pesky archers and then hunting down the residual cavalry.

I am sure others have as good and most probably better tactics than I have described above, but am not sure what you mean by the infantry 'dance around'.  You have complete control of your troops through the F keys.

Another tip is to use one of your companions on a horse but set him as infantry.  When you instruct infantry to advance you can follow the flag on the battle map to where they should end up - but by having him on a horse - he advances quicker and positions himself where the infantry will stop and then they catch him up.  That way - you can readily judge on the field of battle where to position supporting units.

No no my friend, i think you got us wrong. Your own troops are not the problem. The enemy formation AI is. The enemy infantry never attacks, and is dancing around. I too think, the comands on your troops are very good, but the enemy formation AI is just awfull.

kuauik said:
which version are you play,i dont have that in mine

I do have this problem too. 1.03 peasant edition.

Because of this doing battles with allies is impossible. Your troops are outnumbered against a whole army of enemies, that means you depend on your allies. But all of their infantry troops form a shieldwall and keep moving forward and backwards without a real fight. If enemy troops are outnumbered they move back, if there are more of them - they move in. As soon as enemy reinforcements keep coming it's so retarded. Almost like dancing yeah...
And I can't order my troops nor to charge nor to keep following me and stay myself in that retarded AI formation. It takes AGES before the battle ends.

More realistic? Maybe.
Fun? Hell no!

So I noticed when I am Martial i get to command all the friendly AI troops when I am in a huge battle. Is there a way to edit the scrips in the game to permanently turn this function on. this would solve the while problem.

ybreytman said:
So I noticed when I am Martial i get to command all the friendly AI troops when I am in a huge battle. Is there a way to edit the scrips in the game to permanently turn this function on. this would solve the while problem.

Don´t know if it will work. It´s a tweak for the old M&B game, although I have used it before in a Warband mod and it worked. However 1257 is quite more complex than that mod was so...

Anyway, here is the link: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,46821.msg1217848.html#msg1217848

Remember to do a backup before, just in case.

That worked great. It took a little bit of searching to find the value since the code is a little diff. however it worked. i replayed the same 1200 vs 1300 battle and it was all out mayham (just the way I like it) crusaders won with 100 men left. Thank you so much for the link.

Kenryu said:
No no my friend, i think you got us wrong. Your own troops are not the problem. The enemy formation AI is. The enemy infantry never attacks, and is dancing around. I too think, the comands on your troops are very good, but the enemy formation AI is just awfull.

Sorry - I got the 'wrong end' of the discussion  :oops:

I have not noticed this so much; there are occasions when the AI halts the infantry in front of mine and his missile troops start to shower me with javelins or arrows, but there times when they do advance into my infantry, so I cannot say I have this problem that some of you have.

hellzeris said:
Kenryu said:

******** ANNOYING. I KNOW,

Its been a while, but i had a bit of time and made a recording of the Infantry formation ai failing, (not attacking, never leaving the formation). In this video, after 10 minutes (in which the infantry was not doing anything, besides standing in formation) i decided to attack the enemy Archers in front of the infantry. And even there, no reaction of the enemy infantry, so, in conclusion: the enemy formation ai is broken, which is a major issue... The enemy archers and cavalary were reacting ok though, just the enemy infantry ai failed... if annybody wants to know, what weve been talking about on this Topic, there is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxzEw23ZE8U&feature=em-upload_owner

Back
Top Bottom