Anyone know how to make ACOK crash less?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stravask

Sergeant at Arms
It seems the mod doesn't dump any unused information or something, as the process seems to just accumulate usage until the whole thing goes kablooey.

Anyone got any programs or tweaks they've found that'll hopefully make the game run slightly longer?

Cozur said:
I lol'd.

Hi Cozur :grin:

There used to be a couple programs designed for dropping excess stored info but they all got way outdated and I don't think any of them work any more  :cry:

I've never been able to duplicate the whole crashing thing on either of my machines, so I'd be very interested if someone had a solution, as it does seem to happen on too large a segment of the users.

Cozur said:
I've never been able to duplicate the whole crashing thing on either of my machines, so I'd be very interested if someone had a solution, as it does seem to happen on too large a segment of the users.

Really? o_O

Huh. In my case, checking out the process in Task Manager, it always just sorta takes up more and more memory over time until it eventually just lags out and quits on me.

Does it do anything like that for you? (not the quitting part obviously, but the accumulating memory thing)

Don't suppose you'd be willing to share how much RAM you've got on either system, just so I know whether it's just a matter of your setup blowing mine out of the water or something?

Cozur said:
Stravask said:
Cozur said:
4k on one, 2k on the other.

Doesn't accumulate on my PC.

Odd. I've got 8k and still crashing.

Sucks to be us I guess. *shrug*

Have you tried the non-steam version? No idea why it should matter, but that's the one I play.

Yeah, up until today that's the one I've been using. Which, by the way, DON'T start using the steam version. -_-
Runs slower than ever for some reason when I run through steam. Dunno why >.>

But yeah. Been using non-steam version till today and was still having crashes :sad:

Have you checked to see if you are running warband or steam in compatibility mode?  Having it run as an older mode of windows has caused warband to treat your computer as if it only has 1GB of RAM which will definitely lead to random crashing in ACOK or Floris due to insufficient memory.

crashes happend most of the time due the 32 bit OS
in simple way if you have for example 1 gb ram and 64bit OS it will be better than having 8gb RAM and 32 bit OS

32 bit OS crashes could be fixed,
but that requires some steps to do manually
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,286848.0.html

Definitely not running in compatibility mode, and I'm running it on a 64bit OS.

Not sure how relevant it is, but literally everything else I run through this computer I run on max possible settings and it's as smooth as a baby's bottom, other mods for Warband included (floris, p.o.p., etc).

ACOK is the only thing that gives me problems :sad:

Stravask said:
It seems the mod doesn't dump any unused information or something, as the process seems to just accumulate usage until the whole thing goes kablooey.

Anyone got any programs or tweaks they've found that'll hopefully make the game run slightly longer?

you need a 64 bit system and over 6GB, without it
you will crash all the time

other then that I don't know , are you using battle sizer ? you could try dropping the amount of soldiers per battle

SilverFaith said:
Stravask said:

you need a 64 bit system and over 6GB, without it
you will crash all the time

other then that I don't know , are you using battle sizer ? you could try dropping the amount of soldiers per battle

64 bit, 8GB RAM.

Most of my crashes are on the overworld map.

However, if I play longer than maybe an hour, or get into more than like, 5 battles, the battles turn ultra laggy and eventually crash.

Cozur said:
Dusk Voyager said:
With due respect to Cozur's work, there are a lot of more stable mods despite their resources and complex coding, so he should try optimizing his codes.

What.

Try doing a bit of housekeeping. Don't worry about where to start, there is always stuff which shouldn't be there.
Try to remove as much crap as possible without removing features.

Less is more, specially talking about unused assets.

As a bit of an experience I removed more than 280MB of stuff from The Last Days in a pair of days. Apart from dedicating some time to fix their assets reducing polycount where necessary, converting DXT5/DXT3 textures with blank alpha channels to DXT1, adding LODs, turning polygonal collision meshes into something cheaper performance-wise, like decomposing them manually into basic shapes like cylinders/pills, boxes, spheres, and all that jazz.

It isn't a very flashy or gratifying task, but is necessary. Even more in bigger projects. Performance is more important than graphics.
And people with not-so-good machines, which is a very important demographic, can tell the difference.

--
As a rule of thumb, if your latest release, compressed, is bigger than 600-700MB, you've got a problem.
I often say that for each megabyte you add there's a person less willing to download it.

Swyter said:
Cozur said:
Dusk Voyager said:
With due respect to Cozur's work, there are a lot of more stable mods despite their resources and complex coding, so he should try optimizing his codes.

What.

Try doing a bit of housekeeping. Don't worry about where to start, there is always stuff which shouldn't be there.
Try to remove as much crap as possible without removing features.

Less is more, specially talking about unused assets.

As a bit of an experience I removed more than 280MB of stuff from The Last Days in a pair of days. Apart from dedicating some time to fix their assets reducing polycount where necessary, converting DXT5/DXT3 textures with blank alpha channels to DXT1, adding LODs, turning polygonal collision meshes into something cheaper performance-wise, like decomposing them manually into basic shapes like cylinders/pills, boxes, spheres, and all that jazz.

It isn't a very flashy or gratifying task, but is necessary. Even more in bigger projects. Performance is more important than graphics.
And people with not-so-good machines, which is a very important demographic, can tell the difference.

--
As a rule of thumb, if your latest release, compressed, is bigger than 600-700MB, you've got a problem.
I often say that for each megabyte you add there's a person less willing to download it.

Good suggestions, the collisions could use some work. How important are LOD's?

The main problem seems to be people unable to load the game.

Back
Top Bottom