First Castle to get

Users who are viewing this thread

legione

Regular
Hi.

I'm going for the crown.
I read in this forum that the best fief to take at the beginning is Whitestag, or Valorshield or Pointsbruk, but this will prbably lead to a war with Sarleon or Ravenstern, and I want to conquer Empire at first.

I am friend (38+) with a lot of Empire Lords.
So my plan is to conquer Shieldstorm Castle, then instantly start to shot down Lord Armies and ask them to join me BEFORE the first storm, so the enemy army that besiege me will be smaller.

1) Is this a good tactic?
2) Is there another Castle I could take? (I prefer castle because in my game cities are extremly garrisoned)

Thanks for the answers.

I've just started out as my own kingdom, I took Laria to begin with and quickly after Whitestag Castle. The main reason I took these is because I'm friendly with the Noldor, they often sweep down and wipe any enemies from the field. 1/3 of the 1000+ enemies that besieged my new town were taken care of by the Noldor.

Just make sure you have a lot of money saved up especially if you start with the castle as you wont get as much income.

For free Noldor Patrols:

- Whitestag Castle
- Laria (gets sacked frequently by Noldor Lords so easy to grab)

For constant fighting:

- Talon Castle
- Marleons

For laughing at enemies getting destroyed:

- Oregar Castle
- Almerra Castle

My first castle was Seven Cross Keep, followed by Laria.  I liked how Seven Cross is kinda hidden away behind a mountain.  Try to get one though that requires a seige tower, pain to take, but easier to hold

I like to take Walven Castle, because it has to be sieged and that could take several days for the AI if it wants it back. During that time I can get back to defend it and the AI might not be able to keep all of its army together for the siege. Also close to my Noldor friends and my usual next target, Ethos, once I get a big enough army together to actually hang onto it.

Since you included Poinsbruk, I'll assume cities are included, in which case, go for Cez. Shadow Legion + Snake Cult defenses. Ignore the Snake Cult armies and other factions will never take it.

I've just started out as my own kingdom, I took Laria to begin with and quickly after Whitestag Castle. The main reason I took these is because I'm friendly with the Noldor, they often sweep down and wipe any enemies from the field. 1/3 of the 1000+ enemies that besieged my new town were taken care of by the Noldor.

Just make sure you have a lot of money saved up especially if you start with the castle as you wont get as much income.

This is very interesting. With a 700 siege army, is easier to past the first storm.

For constant fighting:

- Talon Castle
- Marleons

- Oregar Castle
- Almerra Castle

What do you mean for "constant fighting"?
And what do you mean for "laughing at enemies getting destroyed"...? First storm is a totally pain in any case... or not? :sad:

My first castle was Seven Cross Keep, followed by Laria.  I liked how Seven Cross is kinda hidden away behind a mountain.  Try to get one though that requires a seige tower, pain to take, but easier to hold

Thank you for the advise.
Can you describe how you passed the first storm?

I like to take Walven Castle, because it has to be sieged and that could take several days for the AI if it wants it back. During that time I can get back to defend it and the AI might not be able to keep all of its army together for the siege. Also close to my Noldor friends and my usual next target, Ethos, once I get a big enough army together to actually hang onto it.

What do you mean for "the AI might not be able to keep all of its army together"...? I'm not able to divide enemy siege army if it has a marshall.... I can only shot enemy single lord army before the are "marsaled" xd

Since you included Poinsbruk, I'll assume cities are included, in which case, go for Cez. Shadow Legion + Snake Cult defenses. Ignore the Snake Cult armies and other factions will never take it.

You mean that enemy armies are destroyed by Snake Cult? In my game they are very small patrols... 30-40 men, only one snake army is 200+ but it is not near Cez, I don't undestand

Thank to all for your advises :smile:

Attila7 said:

What do you mean for "the AI might not be able to keep all of its army together"...? I'm not able to divide enemy siege army if it has a marshall.... I can only shot enemy single lord army before the are "marsaled" xd

When the AI needs to take a castle that needs a siege tower, it takes several days, not the 18 hours I take to build the tower.
During this time, many AI lords may leave the army to tend to other matters, especially if it has taken them a long time to get to your castle. It happens many times that the AI marshal needs to abandon the siege because he has other matters to tend to or he no longer has enough troops to siege the castle.

Perhaps I was not clear in my first post. When I said siege, I meant having to build a siege tower, not just a ladder.

legione, actual Snake Cult Army spawns (the ones you get a message about and show up in victory conditions page) are usually in the 800+ range.

Understood.

When the AI needs to take a castle that needs a siege tower, it takes several days, not the 18 hours I take to build the tower.
During this time, many AI lords may leave the army to tend to other matters, especially if it has taken them a long time to get to your castle. It happens many times that the AI marshal needs to abandon the siege because he has other matters to tend to or he no longer has enough troops to siege the castle.

Perhaps I was not clear in my first post. When I said siege, I meant having to build a siege tower, not just a ladder.

Ah ok, got it.

Thank you :smile:

legione said:
For constant fighting:

- Talon Castle
- Marleons

- Oregar Castle
- Almerra Castle

What do you mean for "constant fighting"?
And what do you mean for "laughing at enemies getting destroyed"...? First storm is a totally pain in any case... or not? :sad:

Marleons can be contested by all factions, so you will always be busy when you are at war with someone.

To get an idea about Almerra Castle, as an attacker i brought a marshaled force of around 2k troops and got owned by a garrison of around ~300.

The layout favors defenders for all of the above fiefs mentioned.

shoshuro said:
Marleons can be contested by all factions, so you will always be busy when you are at war with someone.

To get an idea about Almerra Castle, as an attacker i brought a marshaled force of around 2k troops and got owned by a garrison of around ~300.

The layout favors defenders for all of the above fiefs mentioned.

Yea this castle is insanely tough to capture, was reminded of this fact this playthrough. My tactic to capture is below:

The AI(at least on Good setting) sends reinforcements to specific key spots which allows them to shoot your troops in the back while climbing the ladder. I believe what my tactic was is to jack up on morale food, besiege with a force of mostly archers, plop them in center courtyard and tucked myself in corner then peeked out to shoot key ranged units which were the most dangerous. Killed as much as we could then retreated. Repeated this again then went back for my real force once they were sufficiently weakened along with a tavern morale boost.

Oregar is no joke, I just tried to take it because it has a garrison of 199 and I have 111, not even close.  I really want Walven though because its right across from Ethos for when I start my kingdom, but I keep getting ambushed by noldor troops in the middle of the 60 hr wait

Oregar Castle is a slaughter for any attacking army especially if you have a good amount of crossbows and archers. Many times they get shreed before reaching melee range. The only issue is that ist is a bit isolated with the nearest City being Janos so spreading from Oregar is difficult but holding Oregar is not.

Ethos.

Either that or take any one of the castles near noldor forest. The elves provide better defenses than any army, especially if one of the lords spawn.

Oregar Castle is indeed an ass, I thought I will conquer that one in a bit with my tiny 200 soldiers against 300. But wow, this level sucks against 150 crossbow units  :roll:  :???:

I found the best way to join a weak fraction as vassel and try to get at least two towns and two castles closeby. Then rebel on the third town, and quickly depatch lords on rebel, while conquering a few castles more. 

bobknight said:
Ethos.

Either that or take any one of the castles near noldor forest. The elves provide better defenses than any army, especially if one of the lords spawn.
While the Noldor are a useful deterrent, they're fairly unreliable. I would not advise treating them as a primary defense. They're also more than happy to sack Laria, even if its owner is their friend. I am unsure if that is only true whilst you are a vassal.

Wynd Fox said:
bobknight said:
Ethos.

While the Noldor are a useful deterrent, they're fairly unreliable. I would not advise treating them as a primary defense. They're also more than happy to sack Laria, even if its owner is their friend. I am unsure if that is only true whilst you are a vassal.
Only if you are a vassal. They won't sack your towns if you declare your kingdom and are on friendly terms.

If you are going for empire lands first than take any castle near Chez, than take Chez  and create your self a safe background for spreading your kingdom onto rest of empire and than further in land.

bobknight said:
Ethos.

This. Its also why Laria and its two castles are great. If you get in good with the Jatu as well as the Noldor the Noldor will kite the lords riight into waiting Jatu parties :razz:

Back
Top Bottom