Broken map enemy AI

Users who are viewing this thread

hellzeris

Banned
Other kingdoms always siege towns and fortresses that were taken only by me. If the object was conquered by AI lords the enemy will ignore it even if it's 10 times closer to their base. Yet they travel huge distances to siege my forts. This looks stupid and annoys me like hell.

Another issue with majority of kingdoms is that their lords move their infantry troops in battles forth and back depending if they're outnumbered or not. If they are, they fall back and wait for reinforcements. Can you believe how long does it take for battle to finish if I'm fighting with NPC allies? FFS! The old all-in charge style was a lot better. It's harder to win with 600 ally troops than my 200 alone.

Last but not least, sieges occur too often. We're at war with 3 factions and I'm defending same 3 objectives over and over for hundreds of days. Feels like there is no end to it. You take back fort and enemies come back with their armies and take it from you. Over and over. Some temporary protection should be implemented.
+ NPC lords and their castles refill garrisons a lot faster.

This mod needs fixing more than ever. Plz.

Here you go, a 90-95% working version of this mod

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iybulfnf6qvl8t8/Othr%20Edition%20of%20Anno1257.7z

With that said, some stuff unfinished (not much, its mostly all in there). I think only one thing was unfinished content wise, and you can ignore it.

Bug wise...90-95% less bugs than current 1257. Some users report more bugs...but I find barely any. And one guy said patrols don't follow you into battle...but they don't in the current version anyway, so not really an issue...just wait for them to go into battle first.

Content wise? About the same, but gigantic map (no lag problems on my PC), EPIC AS HELL MUSIC (doesn't play all the time)...and...thats the main things

AI wise?

Archers aren't ****ing dumbasses. Archery WORKS IN SIEGES.

and formations aren't a boring square all the time (it happens, but a lot more variety)...AND...the AI doesn't sit for hours on both sides waiting for you (the player) to attack. They attack on their own.

Not perfect, but far less buggy after many hours of playing it. And AI is amazing.

Played for 400 days and gave up. Too hard. All these ****ings bugs and ****.  Impossible to make peace - impossible to play.

No, I joined existing one. It was Mongol Horde at first, I made some friends there but left it and joined Kingdom of Lithuania because Mongol troops cost was just LOL. Even all my money from tournaments just vanished when I had to keep more than 100 troops.
So within the new kingdom we had only one enemy at first - Teutonic ordinal. I annihilated them over and over and yet they kept coming back with loads of troops. We took castles and few towns. Then out of nowhere some random stupid factions like Denmark, Sweden declared war on us, maybe it was our king or maybe not. Doesn't matter. Things without a logic. And then I hardly managed to keep up with all the sieges, yet I conquered a lot of coast castles but I  barely had time for all fights.
Then even Mongol horde declared war on us! We were surrounded. Now with 4 wars that make no sense when Denmark and Sweden even travel overseas to raid our villages and siege castles - it became impossible to hold everyone off. I spent hundreds of days just in our kingdom running from one siege to another... ffs.
Funny thing I was our army Marshal defending Koenigsberg at the moment, yet Golden Horde managed to take capital city from us and then start another siege with their enormous amounts of troops.
This thing with enemy NPCs raiding far away lands is stupid. How do they manage it? They don't spread from their zone, they just keep raiding centers. Doesn't make sense.

P.S. Few times I could't even feel my finger after all those left mouse clicks shooting +1000 enemy troops on ladders and siege towers... **** my life. The game was by all means - painful.

Yep, owning anything requires iron nerves because friendly AI will fail at defending on a campaign map. Can't trust it to do anything properly besides laying waste on a few enemy villages.
Adapt to the fact that your village(s) will be looted constantly. Invest in few enterprises, get random cash from tournaments and more steady cash from manor tribute goods.

The AI seems to target least protected fiefs. So if you have a town with the smallest garrison they will come even if it's the furthest.

magitsu said:
Yep, better to stay as vassal. But that still requires quite good nerves - AI will fail at defending anything. Can't trust it to do anything properly besides laying waste on a few enemy villages.
Adapt around the fact that your village(s) will be looted. Invest in few enterprises, get random cash from tournaments and more steady cash from manor tribute goods.

Yeah, I accepted the fact I won't have a chance to do anything about the villages.
Money wasn't a problem with Baltic troops at all. I was getting plus gold every week. Didn't had anywhere to put it.

Problem was my lances from 3-4 towns/castles/villages couldn't provide me with troops. I was surrounded and constantly being raided by 2-4 enemy campaign armies. I wasn't able to find how to make piece, because our faction king doesn't have a dialogue option to do that. Like if you could propose him to negotiate a treaty that would be perfect.

magitsu said:
The AI seems to target least protected fiefs. So if you have a town with the smallest garrison they will come even if it's the furthest.

And that was another big problem for me. I couldn't make myself enough breathing room and let our castles replenish troops. I can defend it from 1 faction, but not from 4 attacking in a row or sometimes all together. Hell.

Well, maybe it was mission impossible.
Since if you get attacked by many countries at once not even luring the enemy to make stupid siege attacks won't help (can't be in two places at once).
I think you might be able to keep Königsberg, since it has a door which won't crack for 5 minutes+ which gives you time to drop missiles on huge amount of people. Then depending on how cheesy you want to go you might tab out to get the door fixed again (new attack with better odds). Sometimes you are bullied enough to do those borderline grey things since there is no force diplomacy or other mechanism to save from AI's constant diplomatic gaffes.

You think 1257AD mod developers could implement an option to offer peace between kingdoms, pay tributes using your fief NPCs?
I mean we have a whole Europe sadistically throwing war declarations over half of a map...

Oh and 1 more thing. Not even once in 400 days our kingdom came to a random peace treaty like it happens among other factions...

I think you might be able to keep Königsberg, since it has a door which won't crack for 5 minutes+ which gives you time to drop missiles on huge amount of people. Then depending on how cheesy you want to go you might tab out to get the door fixed again (new attack with better odds). Sometimes you are bullied enough to do those borderline grey things since there is no force diplomacy or other mechanism to save from AI's constant diplomatic gaffes.

Nah... Too late. I've deleted all saved games. Golden Horde back-stabbed me and broke my spirit by sneak capturing our base towns... Also smashing same lords over again gets boring. Repetitive.

P.S. Even Welsh have survived 400 days. Is this some kind of a sick joke? Maybe enemy NPCs are programmed to be more aggressive against human player?

Many of the circumstances/issues you are describing certainly have never happened to me since playing regularly. Currently have a fief in the Crusader States and that could be best described as 'intense'.  Previously I have played the Danes and I have to say there were periods of peace.  I also played previously, but played less-so then because of an old 'steam driven laptop (truly painful) and there were multiple enemies - think I was the English.

The Welsh are frequently eliminated early in the game - although they are just about surviving in the latest game.

But all the 'grief' you continue to describe across various posts - frankly it seems all you do is pick holes in this mod.  Whatever your agenda, perhaps you should consider another mod, or another game altogether?

Penledor said:
But all the 'grief' you continue to describe across various posts - frankly it seems all you do is pick holes in this mod.  Whatever your agenda, perhaps you should consider another mod, or another game altogether?

Maybe you should say thanks instead? I'm pinpointing everything that needs to be fixed or something useful added to this mod. Stop pretending everything is fine.

hellzeris said:
Other kingdoms always siege towns and fortresses that were taken only by me. If the object was conquered by AI lords the enemy will ignore it even if it's 10 times closer to their base. Yet they travel huge distances to siege my forts. This looks stupid and annoys me like hell.

Another issue with majority of kingdoms is that their lords move their infantry troops in battles forth and back depending if they're outnumbered or not. If they are, they fall back and wait for reinforcements. Can you believe how long does it take for battle to finish if I'm fighting with NPC allies? FFS! The old all-in charge style was a lot better. It's harder to win with 600 ally troops than my 200 alone.

Last but not least, sieges occur too often. We're at war with 3 factions and I'm defending same 3 objectives over and over for hundreds of days. Feels like there is no end to it. You take back fort and enemies come back with their armies and take it from you. Over and over. Some temporary protection should be implemented.
+ NPC lords and their castles refill garrisons a lot faster.

This mod needs fixing more than ever. Plz.
            The problem with taking a castle or town by yourself is it takes a while for a faction leader to decide who it will belong to-so unless you provide it a big enough garrison Enemy AI will always target it first. By comparison,my faction sometimes sieges with over 7000 soldiers so  after an AI Lord has taken a town it will usually have over 450 soldiers garrisoned instantly because of size of the 7000 siege army.My experience is as long your companions have high level skills and  with at least 100 top tier troops(I roll with 40 vet. horsearchers and 40 knights) with proper tactics you can defend against enemies 4-5 times the size of your own.

Long,drawn-out battles is the main reason I've turned down Marshallship twice.My Leadership is 10 and hold over 200 troops(272) and find it easier and more effective to fight a faction on my own.I've failed the "summon to join campaign" quest sooo many times its shameful.Presently,I'm fighting the Crown of Aragon(the smallest) by myself while my faction take on bigger factions Portugal and France.Plus, you get more Renown fighting  big battles on your own.
The only good thing about big faction battles(1500 VS 2000 for example) is that if your faction wins its weakens the enemy significantly making it easier to defeat them.

My observation is once your share  borders with another faction there is a good chance they will declare war on your faction.Silly reasons-like peasants not happy sharing a river with another faction's peasants.Good reason to go to war?Why not?I usually take on the smallest  enemy faction myself and try to wipe them off the map as fast as I can or keep hammering them so they stay weak.

So not much fixing needed with your issues.

My advice,be selective and smart(location) with which enemy fief you take and defend.Don't take more than 2 at once.
For example,I took Lubeck,Koln,and Chalon from France-tried to defend all 3 but couldn't  in the end choose to defend Lubeck until it was given to a Lord thus have a garrison then retook Koln and Chalon which had less then 50 enemy soldiers each.

Back
Top Bottom