Prophesy of Pendor and possible Steam Workshop

Users who are viewing this thread

MitchyMatt

Grandmaster Knight
Hello everyone,

Some of you may or may not know that currently Steam Workshop has opened the Warband workshop beta. This means that if you want to put your Warband mods up for others to download, then by all means go for it.

However, I am more interested in seeing what people think of PoP heading there. Is there any real point? Is more exposure good? Are there any benefits? Are they are any drawbacks?

We should first answer these questions and then some, as I currently see it being a positive thing for PoP to go the the Workshop. However, this does not fall under my decision, but up to Saxondragon. So maybe if there are some solid points to make here, then it will be easier for us to make a decision.

I would like to hear your opinions on this.

Best,

MM

To my knowledge the only game that actually has trouble with the workshop is Civ 5, because of how mods are implemented into that game.

Assuming Warband doesn't have the same problems, then it's just more exposure. Nothing more, nothing less. Seems like an overall plus to me.

More exposure is always good, also try to make the facebook page more active (btw get a vanity url ie facebook.com/prophesyofpendor).

The mount & blade subreddit has also become very active lately due to the last steam sales and more people are asking for good mods to try, so replying there will also get you exposure.

Isn't PoP too big for steam workshops?  Afaik is there a size limit for your mods when you want to upload them and PoP in all its goodness isn't that small.

I beleive the upload limit is ~200mb, so it would have to be split up which could be a p.i.t.a. However PoP, when compressed is ~700mb so 4 files should do the trick, which is extremely annoying. I hope they can work around this since most big mods cover well beyond 200mb.

The Steam workshop is meant to keep the greater part of the mostly smaller mods for games in Steam's sphere of control, so people don't wander elsewhere and keep buying stuff on Steam. They would be stupid to open it up for the big mods that would for most games certainly compete with the DLCs Steam wishes to sell. Steam is not a charity after all, so I would not be too optimistic, Mitch.

More exposure is great, but be prepared for an influx of new players opening new threads to ask questions and the most veteran players/forumites "politely" recommending that they use the FAQ thread.  :roll: hehe

madmaximillian said:
More exposure is great, but be prepared for an influx of new players opening new threads to ask questions and the most veteran players/forumites "politely" recommending that they use the FAQ thread.  :roll: hehe

That is likely, but more players would be awesome, I know most MB players have never heard of this mod, and it's always nice for a worthy mod like this one to get more publicity

iskar said:
The Steam workshop is meant to keep the greater part of the mostly smaller mods for games in Steam's sphere of control, so people don't wander elsewhere and keep buying stuff on Steam. They would be stupid to open it up for the big mods that would for most games certainly compete with the DLCs Steam wishes to sell. Steam is not a charity after all, so I would not be too optimistic, Mitch.
Yes, but there's a difference between an ambitious mod like PoP that needs plenty of talented developers working on it and some other "big mods" not really offering much. The more interest is generated, the lower the chance they let their reach exceed their grasp for example in the v4 saga.

Too much effort for too little reward to put something on the steam workshop. More exposure on facebook, reddit, and maybe even /v/ would be good. I do feed off of the souls of new PoP players, after all.

Dont put it on the workshop as they are expanding the max file size limit very soon so just wait till that happens so you dont have to spilt the file up

Modder223 said:
Dont put it on the workshop as they are expanding the max file size limit very soon so just wait till that happens so you dont have to spilt the file up

I hope they are.

The workshop as its stands is useless.

I hope you will use the Workshop, it's useful to increase visibility.

For the games I play I use mods from many sites (Steam, Nexus, Moddb, etc.) it's good to be able to find them in different places.

BTW I use Mac too and I bought the Mac version of Warband (still in beta), and as soon as the beta started being able to load mods (few hours ago) I downloaded PoP and it works quite well but for a weird bug: some faces are black as in coal black. You see them for the first time in the customization of your character.

I hope this helps.

Luciano

plz! put it on steam workshop, before I used to have the time to check the threads for new info/patches of my favourites mods... not it's no longer the case :sad:

Back
Top Bottom