Steam Workshop Support [BETA] - GAMECHANGER

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, I checked in into the beta.. checked out again.. started the game.. Checked for missing files.. checked in.. started the game.. stopped the game.. checked for missing files etc.

Doesn't work  for me. I can see the workshop but the "mbw_workshop_uploader.exe" is still missing.

(Did I do something wrong?)

JabdiMelborn said:
...If i add Warband on Steam with my non-Steam version can i join the Workshop...?
...i can't find any "BETAS" tab anywhere... :sad:

ciauz^^,
Jab
Steam Workshop does not work for non-Steam copies. This is the same for every Workshop game.

Gotha said:
Well, I checked in into the beta.. checked out again.. started the game.. Checked for missing files.. checked in.. started the game.. stopped the game.. checked for missing files etc.

Doesn't work  for me. I can see the workshop but the "mbw_workshop_uploader.exe" is still missing.

(Did I do something wrong?)
Are you on Windows? The beta is currently only on Windows but will be extended to all platforms soon.

I had the same problem as Gotha and I'm too on Windows 8.1.
Native works fine, but mods give an error and Warband crashes.
I actually had to log out of windows because Warband stayed on top, even if I alt+tabbed.
Went to the non-beta version again of Warband, mods working fine again.

This is great news!
Captain Lust said:
SilentMatthew said:
Are there any plans to support WSE-based mods? Since they use either the wse launcher or a slightly modified exe of it...
Nope. It opens up too many security issues so it simply isn't possible for us to support.
Wouldn't WSE mods be uploaded to the Workshop just the same, just with additional instructions for the user? In that vein, I wonder if there's a way to make this useful for standalone mods.

I know having the end user have to do complicated stuff to run a mod kind of defeats the purpose of the Workshop, but still.

I can't seem to find "mbw_workshop_uploader.exe", atleast it's not located in my Warband folder. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\MountBlade Warband) Opted in the beta, and ticked the option in the steam settings. Restarted steam several times. But without succes. 

Any clue what the reason could be? Am I missing something out or?

Captain Lust said:
  • Zip File - This is the file name of the zipped module you have prepared. Make sure to include the ".zip" file extension (e.g. "mysteammod.zip"). NOTE: The zip filesize is currently limited to 200mb.

Thanks for this, even if makes the process a bit redundant.

Many total conversions won't fit in the 200mb limit, I know that some mods have a lot of fat inside including gems like The Last Days.
Still, after some intensive cleaning up I did for the latest version they still are on the 400-550mb side of a LZMA compressed 7z package (example).

I think that raising the limit to 450-500mb for this game and supporting things like 7z is a good compromise that leaves out flat out careless modders without having to waste too much of uncle Valve's bandwidth.

Otherwise you are only going to get small tweaks in the catalog, leaving the classics out.

James2510 said:
I actually had to log out of windows because Warband stayed on top, even if I alt+tabbed.
We have tested on Windows 8.1 and it worked. We can only recommend you do a full remove of the game and reinstall it, opting into the beta.

hrotha said:
Wouldn't WSE mods be uploaded to the Workshop just the same, just with additional instructions for the user?
hrotha said:
I know having the end user have to do complicated stuff to run a mod kind of defeats the purpose of the Workshop, but still.
Yep :smile:.

Aldric said:
Interesting, do you suggest the parallel use of ModDB to host mod files  as well  ?(especially for the player without steam )
Sure.

Swyter said:
Captain Lust said:
  • Zip File - This is the file name of the zipped module you have prepared. Make sure to include the ".zip" file extension (e.g. "mysteammod.zip"). NOTE: The zip filesize is currently limited to 200mb.

Thanks for this, even if makes the process a bit redundant.

Many total conversions won't fit in the 200mb limit, I know that some mods have a lot of fat inside including gems like The Last Days.
Still, after some intensive cleaning up I did for the latest version they still are on the 400-550mb side of a LZMA compressed 7z package (example).

I think that raising the limit to 450-500mb for this game and supporting things like 7z is a good compromise that leaves out flat out careless modders without having to waste too much of uncle Valve's bandwidth.

Otherwise you are only going to get small tweaks in the catalog, leaving the classics out.
There are solutions and workarounds to the size limit. We are exploring every avenue and we'll come up with something workable soon.

In the meantime, smaller mods should go ahead and load up!

Plenty of mods share the same OSP resources (scripts would probably be too hard to merge). While it probably is too much work to subdivide each and every mod into a collection of its component OSPs and expect it to work perfectly, a feature for sub-mods to inherit (either coarsely reading module.ini or an additonal list of items required/removed) would be appreciated.

EDIT: Not too many mods being uploaded - is it because of the size limitation (which I've seen being put forth repeatedly) or lack of awareness that the workshop is open for business?

Mod's too big  :cry:

Will try snipping a few stuff out, but the mod size will only ever grow as more stuff is added. I'm sure you guys will find a way to make it work, though.

Goes back into cave to mod

Edit: Whilst it was working earlier, the application now insists that Steam is not running, and yell at me to pull it up even though it is indeed open. Anything I should double-check that may have changed itself in the past few hours?

Captain Lust said:
James2510 said:
We have tested on Windows 8.1 and it worked. We can only recommend you do a full remove of the game and reinstall it, opting into the beta.

Done. Still not showing up the "mbw_workshop_uploader.exe".

I would like to post that after much tweaking and trimming of stuff I have finally gotten Shot and Shell on the workshop: however; the mod will not install for people. I am assuming that I did something wrong in the .zip file or something. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom