Anyone have tip on training Companions

Users who are viewing this thread

Ivan Khan

Knight
Hi all,

Been with WB side it came out. Recently started Silverstag. Love it so far.

Was wondering if anyone has ways to help train-up low level companions (Klethi, Deshavi, Borcha Ymira, Jeremus)

Some like Katrina, Marnid & Nizar do ok as they have party roles.

Ones who start with decent warrior stats will pick them up in battles. I want these companions for various roles though and not fighters.

With native training I would give my higher level companions training and they would pull the lobbies up.

Anyone got some tricks to try and train

Just give them some decent weapons and hunt down looters, later on bandits.
Just don't mess around with Taiga Maulers, they're ridiculously overpowered with their hammer!
I've tried two versions so far:
In my first playthrough I trained my comopanions twohanded fight and power throw to make them into huskarls that have a big axe, two large bags of heavy throwing axes and a shield to protect as long as they throw their axes.
I must admit I used the cheat menu to purchase at least the basic items I wanted.
In my current playthrough I'm going a pretty standard route where I give my companions horses, lances and onehanded weapons (iron war maces).
I usually start training only their strength until it reaches 18 (Banded Armor for "Huskarls", Cuir Builli for the "knights"), then up them to 12 agility (for weapon master and athletics (huskarls) or riding (knights)).
Then I just level the intelligence, since I normally play a trader I get my army reeeally late (like 100-200 days in), so things like Surgery aren't important early on since I'm just doing quests/trading, you can go to war by helping engaged lords with your companions though...

Hope I could help  :smile:

Quests, quests, quests and... yes maybe a little more quests.
Quests in silverstag reward a lot more experience than in native (the wine delivery is one of the easiest, quickest and most rewarding for example).
If their intelligence is high enough ask them to read some books as they give a nice chunk of experience upon completion.

Leifdin said:
I confess, I level them up by editing their .txt files.

I must admit I did that too. Played with my character starting at 30 and all the companions at 20.

Books work well. Expensive, but then all 18 of us can read it. When you are full up on companions, quests are underwhelming after level 7 or so. They got 25 each for delivering wine.

I have found if you make the tournaments have enough to leave three of your companions out, you fight only your companions and the three that do not fight will win top 3. (or you and two of them)

I think practically, they just have to fighting ability and good equipment.

I have also noticed equipping companions is different. In native long one hand, shield, and bow worked best.

Only Baheshtur, Deshavi & Nyssa can do well with them in Silverstag. I guess I will try giving them lance, 1h & shield, and keep crossbows in inventory for sieges.

Just an update.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am building them all up as fighters. Quartermaster is a good job to build experience if they have quickstudy. I have kept all the manhunters I find and they give me prisoners so gaoler helps too. Storekeeper does not look like it will help a lot until later game when the army is bigger.

I also found you can set the tournament up to give bonuses just to your group, as they get pulled to fight first. Prizes are lower, but actually more usable.

I figured out archers still work, you just need to give them bodkin or khergit arrows. Other arrows have cut damage which is only effective on unarmored troops. Forces the use of lighter armor, but as I am building them up to 18 strength and 12 agility (minimum) they can handle decent armor (won in tournaments).

Takes longer grinding to build them up. My leader also has more party skills, but I finally got a group built up so I can join the big battles.

Hi everyone, first post around here even if I'm following this nice mod for a while.

I wonder if those arrows/bolts show their damage type on their stats IG. I don't think so, and it would be useful for people to know what to use depending on the battle purpose.

By the way, there has been many arrows/bolts types during the middle-age, with different uses. Did you planned any addition to arrows/bolts type already or is it useful to list here all sorts of heads ?

TrolKabu said:
Hi everyone, first post around here even if I'm following this nice mod for a while.

I wonder if those arrows/bolts show their damage type on their stats IG. I don't think so, and it would be useful for people to know what to use depending on the battle purpose.

By the way, there has been many arrows/bolts types during the middle-age, with different uses. Did you planned any addition to arrows/bolts type already or is it useful to list here all sorts of heads ?

I do not see the difference in game. I saw it in Morgh's editor. Broadhead and Barbed are cut, Khergit and Bodkin are pierce. Also all in fire arrow with a lot more damage, but do not think they are used in the game yet.

Fire arrows are in the game and are accessed via the special orders menu in combat.  This is F8 as I recall.

Poisoned arrows will exist with the next update using the poisoned weapons ability.  Quite dishonorable though.

Blunted arrows may make an entrance down the road with a high degree of inaccuracy compared to the normal types.

You can feel a difference. The broadhead and barbed seem to have such a tough time damaging units due to cutting suffering the full effects of armor reduction.

Though IMO.

Broad - Cutting

Barbed - Cutting, causes combat hampering (or deals bleeding damage over-time if combat hampering is disabled).

Khergit - Pierce

Bodkin - Pierce, causes extra damage to shields (or maybe even crush through block)

ZanathKariashi said:
Though IMO.

Broad - Cutting

Barbed - Cutting, causes combat hampering (or deals bleeding damage over-time if combat hampering is disabled).

Khergit - Pierce

Bodkin - Pierce, causes extra damage to shields (or maybe even crush through block)
This is something I was thinking about as well.
* Broadhead - high cutting damage, smaller quivers (20)
* Barbed - medium cutting damage, but causes a hampering effect based on location hit (less damage if its an arm, slower movement on a leg) - I'm not sure if the benefit will outweigh the performance offhand, but I'll test it out.
* Khergit - high piercing damage, smaller quivers (20)
* Bodkin - medium piercing damage, +50% damage to shields (armor doesn't have durability to concern with)
* Blunted - medium bludgeoning damage, smaller quivers (20)
* Flaming - improves damage of any arrow by a flat amount, reduces the accuracy of your shot.  This isn't an actual item you can purchase so much as an order you can give.  I am considering having a requirement added for having oil in your party's stores, but increasing the effectiveness of flaming arrows as a result.

Pretty nice list with many interesting bonuses.

Is there a way to add an arrow (don't know its English name, in French "boujon" or "tranchoir") that is able to cut unarmored horses' tendons ? In fact, making them fall (by a small %) or increasing damages. It would be a nice feature to fight against cavalry. Even more interesting against horse archers running around without having all the army trying to catch them for decades.

I suppose that you will do the same for bolts.

In case some of you are as curious as me there are some images here: http://laguettedudonjon.free.fr/carreau.htm
It seems that in old french the word "boujon" was used for both bolts and arrows.

BTW my friend makes arrowheads, here is one of his photos:
1779085_613238542077364_1940674933_n.jpg
(https://www.facebook.com/MedievalStyleArrowheads?fref=ts)

TrolKabu said:
Pretty nice list with many interesting bonuses.

Is there a way to add an arrow (don't know its English name, in French "boujon" or "tranchoir") that is able to cut unarmored horses' tendons ? In fact, making them fall (by a small %) or increasing damages. It would be a nice feature to fight against cavalry. Even more interesting against horse archers running around without having all the army trying to catch them for decades.

I suppose that you will do the same for bolts.
I believe something can be arranged for that arrowhead type.

Yes, I will give bolts the same kind of treatment.

Windyplains said:
This is something I was thinking about as well.
* Broadhead - high cutting damage, smaller quivers (20)
* Barbed - medium cutting damage, but causes a hampering effect based on location hit (less damage if its an arm, slower movement on a leg) - I'm not sure if the benefit will outweigh the performance offhand, but I'll test it out.
* Khergit - high piercing damage, smaller quivers (20)
* Bodkin - medium piercing damage, +50% damage to shields (armor doesn't have durability to concern with)
* Blunted - medium bludgeoning damage, smaller quivers (20)
* Flaming - improves damage of any arrow by a flat amount, reduces the accuracy of your shot.  This isn't an actual item you can purchase so much as an order you can give.  I am considering having a requirement added for having oil in your party's stores, but increasing the effectiveness of flaming arrows as a result.

Would it not make sense to make things a bit more realistic and immersive?

An old MMO called DAOC had a proc/con system between armor and weapon types. Archers were rather unique because they could select arrows that matched the 'con' of the armor it was to hit against.

For example,

Cloth based armors (including cloth/leather hybrids) were vulnerable vs pierce and cutting but had decent vs blunt.

Leather based armors had decent damage mitigation when hit by blunt and pierce because leather is a padding material and it lowers the kinetic energy of the weapon hitting them. However it was vulnerable to cutting because it IS padding.

Chainmail based armors had good mitigation against cutting attacks but were vulnerable to pierce and blunt.

Plate based armors had excellent mitigation vs cutting and pierce but were vulnerable to blunt. They were also very heavy and had penalties to movement and weapon speed of the user.

Lamellar/Scale had minor mitigation vs pierce and cutting but had decent resists vs blunt since these were a composite of leather and metal armors.

Finally, for this game, since we do see 'mix' armors like chainmail-over-leather armor the bonuses could be made on a 'what the weapon hits first and what effect the armor mix has' logic. Aka chainmail-over-leather would have good mitigation vs cutting and instead of being vulnerable to pierce and blunt like plain chainmail, it would have 'minor' resist vs blunt and 'decent' vs pierce...but it would be literally the weight of leather and chainmail armors added together.

So... this would change how melee weapons affect certain armors when they hit. For arrows though... just having pierce/cutting/blunt arrow damage types is all you'd need to do and the armor-weapon chart would take care of the damage bonuses or mitigation stuff.

Also... could you add poisoned weapons back into the mod even if you disable the combat hampering system? Theyd be a damage-over time inducing, dishonorable weapon then. I don't use the combat hampering because AI enemy units never really suffer from it since their stats and gear are set just right....while my companions and I being low level scumlings suffer horrendously from it as we level up.

Back
Top Bottom