Improve your bloody grammar!

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm not an expert, but I believe it's grammatically acceptable, if only because of how commonly it's used now. English seems to evolve by contraction; What probably was originally "I have got" became "I've got" and now "I got" (examples: "I got this," "I got you," "I got the money", etc.) is a fairly common expression, as far as I know.

You'll hear people drop the "I" as well and just say "Gotta go!" when they abruptly jump up, knock over their chair and table, and smash a man-shaped hole through the wall.

There is really no reason why "I gotta go" shouldn't be grammatically correct, but as it is you should include the "have" in writing and formal situations.

It's an actual word though, and not just slang.
It's both a movement from side to side (swaying) and a festoon/garland of sorts, for decoration/ornamentation.
More generally something lavishly decorative. Which is probably why it's now associated with looking 'cool', or well dressed.

164.jpg

In Australia, a swag is the pack of a wanderer or forest dweller (called a swagman for this reason).

It can by extension refer to all of their stuff, which is contained therein, so it makes some sense that "yolo swag" might be a boast that the vocalising child or teenager has, in this life, accumulated some worldly posessions.

Here is Blinky Bill carrying his swag:

BlinkyBill2.JPG

Meevar the Mighty said:
There was a girl in my old school who used to call me that, because of the way I walked. She didn't even know my real name, she just called me Swagman. I was actually pretty good friends with her.

It's incredibly important that I make this post, because you all need to know how cool and awesome I am. You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom