Improve your bloody grammar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Kissaki said:
Tatari_okan said:
It doesn't make sence for two reasons. First of all, if the book took its name from its villain, how come the villain didn't win in the end? Secondly, if the villain is main character, why the entire story isn't told by his view?
Hmmm... What's your feeling about "Jaws", then? Clearly named after the villain (the shark), should it be told from the shark's perspective?

"Blub blub blub CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP blub blub"

Yeah, no. And a happy ending for the shark? What about King Kong? Dracula? The Mummy?

While reading the novel Dracula I fully expected Count Dracula to win in the end but instead he got hunted down and killed. Stoker should have changed the title to Harker if that was the direction he felt he needed to go in. "Harker" sounds really spooky too.

He probably meant something like "It is very poor to use the Oxford comma, when literacy is so accessible. I feel unhappy in considering the reality that though there is now a thread dedicated to the matter, this may not be enough to stem that blight on the dignity of the provinces and placate their accursed barbaracity for long enough that any seed of civilisation might germinate".

"Barbaracity". That's such a good word, someone should use that as a name for a cheap and effective cologne. Watch out High Karate, there's a new sheriff in town.

1: b) is correct

2: Who knows. People who say that tend to be of the level that they don't even know which they should use.

3: I'm guessing "trying to"

4: It means to use as simple things/words for things, so the simplest of people wouldn't get confused by things

5: It's not rude, it stands for "alright"/"all right"

And Mith... You're not exactly part of the solution, if you know what I mean.

J said:
1: b) is correct

2: Who knows. People who say that tend to be of the level that they don't even know which they should use.

3: I'm guessing "trying to"

4: It means to use as simple things/words for things, so the simplest of people wouldn't get confused by things

5: It's not rude, it stands for "alright"/"all right"

And Mith... You're not exactly part of the solution, if you know what I mean.
Actually I don't know what u mean.

"A'ight" is an 'Ebonic' contraction, and you're right that it can be associated with class (but more commonly with race), but it would be with the urban poor, not the rural. It's not rude, but it's a word you might avoid in formal settings or anywhere you'll be scrutinized. As the comedian Dave Chappele once said on Inside the Actors Studio: "every Black American is bilingual, we speak street vernacular, and we speak 'job interview.'"

dumbledoor QQ said:
4)What is the meaning of "dumb down" ?
"Dumb down" means making something simpler and cutting its extraordinary/unique parts to make more people understand it. It is based on the assumption that people wouldn't understand things they are not familiar with and they wouldn't be able to figure out them on their own because audience is dumb.
People usually use this phrase when they are talking about movie adaptations. :razz:

The thing I noticed about the way I use English is that I don't use much transition words. I could use some pointers about them. :smile:

There vs Their vs They're

Too vs To vs Two

Affect vs Effect

How to pronounce Calradia (Cal-Raid-e-a???)

Should the Z in Zake silent.

Grammar vs Grandma

UK English vs America English vs Straya (Australia) English

S vs Z (in spelling)

Color vs Colour (pretty sure this dies with the language one)

What English from the previously mentioned ones should be used on this forum? Or should we all start using Latin (which I don't know)?

NOTE: I profoundly apologies if I repeated anything that was mentioned before this post that I have created.

I was pleasantly surprised when discovering this thread for the simple reason that improving your skills in a foreign language is always a good thing, isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom