Improve your bloody grammar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Delora Filth

Do you want to run this ship?
Marquis
Been a lot of misunderstandings lately due to bad English. And a few newbies expressing interest in bettering their English skills. Figured it's in everyone's best interest if they get a proper place to do it. If there's something concerning English grammar, syntax or pronunciation you're wondering about, post it here. I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to tell you all the ways you're horribly wrong. :razz:

Realist Kupa said:
Thanks for information
Thanks for the information.

I can't tell you exact grammatical rules as to why the 'the' should be there, but it should be. The full stop is just basic stuff.

Teofish said:
Been a lot of misunderstandings lately due to bad English. And a few newbies expressing interest in bettering their English skills. Figured it's in everyone's best interest if they get a proper place to do it. If there's something concerning English grammar, syntax or pronunciation you're wondering about, post it here. I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to tell you all the ways you're horribly wrong. :razz:
The first three sentences are sentence fragments.

Teofish said:

Technically, I believe it is considered good grammar to place an "I" before the "Figured" in your third sentence.

EDIT: I think you should also place "There's" before "Been",  Remove the "And" in the second sentence, and add a comma after "syntax" in your fourth sentence.

Austupaio said:
I can't tell you exact grammatical rules as to why the 'the' should be there, but it should be. The full stop is just basic stuff.
FWIW, it's called the definite article, and it's there because he's expressing his thanks for information, which in English is always definite.

English is a language that is incredibly easy to be ambiguous in. For that reason you must adhere exactly to the rules in order to avoid ambiguity.

Then there's also the matter of writing only being pleasant to read when it's correct. As we communicate entirely with writing on a forum, I think it's every members duty to make their writing as pleasant as possible --- yours is extremely unpleasant to my eyes.

Arvenski said:
Yes, you.

For pointing out that his stating that learning proper English isn't necessary is lazy and self-important? Bad English is difficult to understand and annoying to read. To not speak a language in a clear way is to undermine the entire purpose of language.

Of course I mean Docm. What possible purpose could there be in telling someone that you find his writing very unpleasant? Unless you think he is intentionally writing poorly to piss you off, there can be none but to demonstrate your own superiority and put him down for not yet having fluency in English.

I said that because he specifically stated it's not important to learn to write properly and that his English is good enough. It's not.

I understand English is a difficult language to learn, and I don't criticise people for not yet having fluency. It was his stating that his English isn't a problem that bothered me.

Maybe before jumping down my throat, you should actually try to consider why I said what I said. That shouldn't be difficult; the context was clear.

Docm30 said:
I said that because he specifically stated it's not important to learn to write properly and that his English is good enough. It's not.

Maybe the problem is your comprehension, not his English. He didn't say any of those things.

Back
Top Bottom