[WB][S] Fires of War, A Greco-Persian War mod, old thread, kept for history

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
75px-Capital_Lambda.svg.png
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spartan_army
Another widely known Spartan symbol, adopted in the 420s BC, was the letter lambda (Λ),
standing for Laconia or Lacedaemon, which was painted on the Spartans' shields.
[Sekunda (199:cool:, p. 27; disputed by Campbell (2012)]
and here's more... http://stefanosskarmintzos.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/the-usage-of-capital-letters-as-shield-devices/

Looks good and i'm glad there's a mod about Ancient Greece. There are so many mods about Rome and other nations yet not a single finished mod about Ancient Greece.

I just hope it gets finished, unlike the Peloponnesian War mod.

thanks for your support. Matmo, very interesting things, as are always your posts and quite a useful link, thanks. And Takeda, yeah, that was my thinking as well, too many mods about Rome and other periods, a little if any about Ancient Greece. I hope I will see that this mod is finished!

Will you include Argolis, Corinthia, Boeotia, Megara and other more famous "City States" or will you simply divide that territory between Athens and Sparta ?

Also, nice headbands :grin:

Because the map is of a relative size(Greece is one of the smallest countries), I made it about 1-1.5 times the Native map. So, that means that with six factions and a lot of islands and water taking a large part of the map, there is not much space left for more factions. I mean, imagine they had message runners from Athens to Sparta, it's that close. So, Sparta gets the towns of Peloponnesian Leage and Athens the cities of the Delian Leage. It's anachrostic, I know that and I am sorry, but I am trying to fit all the features nicely together. About the map, the "Greek Part", without Macedonia, has a lot of towns in their historical locations, which are quite close and so, the central and south part of Greece has more towns. Macedonia is spread evenly in its area of dominion in 490BC and there is a Thracian Kingdom. Now, I don't know a lot about their history, but I did my research and the cities(I believe) are pretty accurate and also I dug up some correct name for thracian leaders. The other factions are PErsian Empire, of which we see only the part of Asia Minor(not only the coastal part, the land also, modern day Turkey) and Satrapy of Alicarnassus, which is mostly a naval power and occupies the south part of Asia Minor.

As for the headband, yeah, they are awesome. In-gam, they will not give any serious preotction(they're jewels, essentially) but they will cost a lot of mone and be available to wanna-be Satraps. :wink:
Lionstrong made a very good work.

What? No. See the screenshots in the 3rd post(headband with red colour). In the preview it was a mesh head just to show the headbands. In the screenshots you can see them ingame and with hair. :smile:

Thanks for that. Research and pictures are always very helpful and appreciated.

I'm curious as to what the man in these pictures is wearing on his head
%E2%84%96+1+-+(Persian+standardbearer)+5BC+infantry.jpg
Marathon.jpg6b.jpg
To me it looks like it is from a snow leopard but then where would a Persian get that from? Unless it was traded in from somewhere else, but then it would not be very common

:idea:illustrations by Christos Giannopoulos

qku2.jpg

a2td.jpg

od6i.jpg

001hvr.jpg

p7b1.jpg

Greek Hoplites

001vly.jpg

kxy0.jpg

006xhf.jpg

yb1i.jpg

g1px.jpg

003ock.jpg

59te.jpg

cgdg.jpg

gdk9.jpg

dnrk.jpg

qldk.jpg

bxc1.jpg

djur.jpg

005twv.jpg

eamh.jpg

5elz.jpg

Persian Army

u8lv.jpg

009gym.jpg

s9p6.jpg

6jrs.jpg

wsq2.jpg

007rl.jpg

aamc.jpg

008nt.jpg

52bu.jpg

004ghb.jpg

927p.jpg

99b7o.jpg

5t83.jpg

002amo.jpg

ecni.jpg

LionStrong said:
Thanks for that. Research and pictures are always very helpful and appreciated.

I'm curious as to what the man in these pictures is wearing on his head
%E2%84%96+1+-+(Persian+standardbearer)+5BC+infantry.jpg
Marathon.jpg6b.jpg
To me it looks like it is from a snow leopard but then where would a Persian get that from? Unless it was traded in from somewhere else, but then it would not be very common
Snow leopards (Panthera uncia) have gone critically endangered recently
due to the introduction of guns and habitat loss in the previous centuries,
however their range was probably more widespread during antiquity.
They could be acquired through trade via the silk road from Central Asia.

rangemap.jpg
VAEGIR_logo.png

SnowLeopard.jpg

Snow_leopard_range.png

It could be a Persian leopard, like most Middle Eastern subspecies,
the fur coloration can range from yellow to light cream and even white.
Here is a white Arabian Specimen (Panthera pardus - nimr) and a distribution map of Middle Eastern leopards

arabianleopard-221.jpg

Middle_east_leopard_range.jpg

Persian leopards (Panthera pardus - ciscaucasica syn. saxicolor)

720px-Leopard---Panthera-pardus-saxicolor---Face---%28Gentry%29.jpg

800px-Persischerleopardcele4.jpg

800px-Zoo_hannover_9.JPG

qiaq.jpg

P.p.saxicolor-Wilhelma1.jpg

Persian-Leopard-Wallpaper.jpg

Persian_Leopard_sitting.jpg

Untitled41.jpg

Did byzantium actually excisted in ~400 BC. I tought emperor constantine (or whatever his name was) made byzantium for bigger centralisation purposes in 300 AD

Yes, Byzantium was a settlement founded on the Greek migration period, so it's a lot more ancient that the Byzantine Empire. Emperor Constantine only moved his capital(and renamed the town) later in the fourth century. As for the map, don't take it as granted, I will improve it a bit, change settlements to (more)historical locations etc. The current one, as seen in the screenshots is just to give us a guideline, a preview. Once it is done, the screenshots will be updated.

Also, matmo, it's funny, but I took inspiration for the Alicarnassusfrom this image. Only things is that I didn't put Artemisia as ruler, but I'm thinking of putting her as a claimant, to demand the throne from Tyrant Lygdamis. Other than that, great illustration.

Could you change the police font to something more... ancient? It would increase immersion a lot.

Same with various interfaces and backgrounds, are you planning to change them?

Very promising mod, otherwise.

@Matiss_Veinbergs: Don't worry, a lot of people confuse those things, it's natural. :grin:

usnavy30: Thanks!

ALG: But of course these will change. I have to say I didn't find the proper font yet, but I will. As for screens, artwork, background, character sheets and things like that, I already completed them, it's one of the most entertaining jobs in modding. You cannot see them, because I keep textures and other files seperately, like two different worktables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom