Mount&Blade Warband | OS X and Linux Support

Users who are viewing this thread

Captain Lust said:
The black texture problem needs to be fixed by modders as far as I know. You're best off asking the creator of the mod. Post any information you have about the crashes.
Wouldn't that problem be due to the OpenGL port of Warband not supporting mod shaders, and possibly not some texture types or Native shaders either? Mac and Linux users running my mod have reported texture problems, which have not happened for hundreds to thousands of Windows players with exactly the same mod files (it's not something wrong with Linux, because I have played M&B for years using wine, and I don't have the graphics problems reported).

Vornne said:
Captain Lust said:
The black texture problem needs to be fixed by modders as far as I know. You're best off asking the creator of the mod. Post any information you have about the crashes.
Wouldn't that problem be due to the OpenGL port of Warband not supporting mod shaders, and possibly not some texture types or Native shaders either? Mac and Linux users running my mod have reported texture problems, which have not happened for hundreds to thousands of Windows players with exactly the same mod files (it's not something wrong with Linux, because I have played M&B for years using wine, and I don't have the graphics problems reported).
I don't know! As far as I know, it can be fixed by resaving the textures with nvidia plugins.

Captain Lust said:
Vornne said:
Captain Lust said:
I don't know! As far as I know, it can be fixed by resaving the textures with nvidia plugins.
Part of the problem appears to be that no one appears to know for sure.
I played with M&B and Warband for years on the Windows partition of my iMac and I never had these kind of problems, so I'm pretty sure they are tied to the change of platform.
Furthermore, I played both the games on Mac using Wineskin and I can say that no one of these problems appeared there (there were other problems but not these).

I would be more than happy to resaving the textures with nvidia plugins, if someone would tell me how to do it and where to find them (at the moment I don't have Photoshop installed, only GIMP).

Luciano

Black textures can be fixed by users themselves, well unless you are a complete noob in linux, then you have to wait for someone else to upload a modified texture pack.

I've posted instructions on how to do it in this topic http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,310582.0.html and used it on two mods (RaW, Perisno) with success.

So either you do it yourselves or bug your mod developers to prepare linux compatible texture packs for you  :cool:

Captain Lust said:
We've just pushed a patch out into the beta branch. The texture reading has been updated, which might provide a solution in some cases! Please let us know your experiences.
Unfortunately the only difference I see (always talking about PoP) is a worst quality of textures [I restarted the computer and the textures look better, I can't say exactly what it is, maybe they are smoother, or something - unfortunately the other problems remain, black textures comprised], now in the sea (and in some wall textures too) appear very small black rectangles here and there, and the targeting reticle appears to be degraded.
All the black textures remain, I started a new game but I don't see differences.

As for
Dr_Shame said:
Black textures can be fixed by users themselves, well unless you are a complete noob in linux, then you have to wait for someone else to upload a modified texture pack.

I've posted instructions on how to do it in this topic http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,310582.0.html and used it on two mods (RaW, Perisno) with success.

So either you do it yourselves or bug your mod developers to prepare linux compatible texture packs for you  :cool:
I'm pretty sure I'm a noob but the texture tools for nvidia are for Linux and Windows only (I searched and I haven't found anything for Mac), if you have a solution for Mac users too it would be much appreciated.

Luciano

While i have no particular do-it-yourself solution for Mac users, i believe Macs could at the very least use converted textures provided by Linux users. It's just a matter of testing.

I posted two dropbox links with converted textures in the Rome at War thread, maybe if you test them with the mod and see if it works on your Mac too, then we would know for sure.

Dr_Shame said:
While i have no particular do-it-yourself solution for Mac users, i believe Macs could at the very least use converted textures provided by Linux users. It's just a matter of testing.

I posted two dropbox links with converted textures in the Rome at War thread, maybe if you test them with the mod and see if it works on your Mac too, then we would know for sure.
Ok, in these days I will try and I will post here the results.

Thanks
Luciano

Ok, tried it, unfortunately Rome at War is one of the mods crashing at the start (it loads everything and then it crashes, like ACOK).
I tried with the Beta version and with the "normal" one with the same result.

As you said to have converted the textures for Perisno too, I downloaded it but, unfortunately, with the same results as for Rome at War.

Captain Lust said:
We've just pushed a patch out into the beta branch. The texture reading has been updated, which might provide a solution in some cases! Please let us know your experiences.
With the new beta I cannot start the configuration menu, the game crashes. I need to select it in the normal version and only then I can load a new mod.

Luciano

To fix RaW crashing at startup just rename the file Roman_Walls.brf to roman_walls.brf. It's in the resources subfolder. If it crashes again then you need to check the rgl log to see which resource file wasn't found.

I didn't upload textures for Perisno, the links provided were both for Rome at War. The difference was in texture formats.

I did it but with no success.
I cannot find the rgl_log.txt file, I'm not sure it's present on Mac (I tried a search too). There is a crash report of the system but it's too complicated for me.
I tried to help solving these problems but it appears I'm at the end of my (limited) abilities, suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks for the help
Luciano

Dr_Shame said:
To fix RaW crashing at startup just rename the file Roman_Walls.brf to roman_walls.brf. It's in the resources subfolder. If it crashes again then you need to check the rgl log to see which resource file wasn't found.

I didn't upload textures for Perisno, the links provided were both for Rome at War. The difference was in texture formats.

Captain Lust said:

Does it come with the "letter-insensitive file lookup for mod files on Linux and Mac" fix I suggested to optLn here?

Code:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,306927.msg7373055.html#msg7373055

Black textures might be related to missing shader techniques, I don't see how resaving them with the Nvidia plugin would help, unless you are talking about changing their compression format. The thing is, many Linux distributions disable the DXT/S3TC de/compression because of patent concerns and it has to be re-enabled in Mesa 3D[1] by installing a library called
Code:
libtxc_dxtn
or/and adding a
Code:
~/.driconf
directive.

Code:
force_s3tc_enable=true

Archlinux comes with all of this prepackaged, so I guess it's only a problem on lesser distributions.  :evil:

[1]:
Code:
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/S3TC/

Swyter said:
Captain Lust said:

Does it come with the "letter-insensitive file lookup for mod files on Linux and Mac" fix I suggested to optLn here?

Code:

Black textures might be related to missing shader techniques, I don't see how resaving them with the Nvidia plugin would help, unless you are talking about changing their compression format. The thing is, many Linux distributions disable the DXT/S3TC de/compression because of patent concerns and it has to be re-enabled in Mesa 3D[1] by installing a library called
Code:
libtxc_dxtn
or/and adding a
Code:
~/.driconf
directive.

Code:
force_s3tc_enable=true

Archlinux comes with all of this prepackaged, so I guess it's only a problem on lesser distributions.  :evil:

[1]:
Code:
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/S3TC/

Yes it does(except for sound files because FMOD uses fopen internally). I also changed texture loader with a more reliable one but most mods still doesn't work. Not all DDS exporters are compatible with our loader for some reason. But I know that GIMP with the latest DDS exporter works, I can suggest it for mod makers who want to make their mods compatible with Mac and Linux.

optLn said:
Swyter said:
Captain Lust said:

Code:

Yes it does(except for sound files because FMOD uses fopen internally). I also changed texture loader with a more reliable one but most mods still doesn't work. Not all DDS exporters are compatible with our loader for some reason. But I know that GIMP with the latest DDS exporter works, I can suggest it for mod makers who want to make their mods compatible with Mac and Linux.

What? OpenGL loads DDS files almost directly by using extensions (
Code:
glCompressedTexImage2D
and co.). I know that at least for the
Code:
cursor.dds
you load them manually because it only supports uncompressed R8G8B8 with one bit of alpha channel.

Here's a good list of decent OpenGL loaders:
Code:
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Image_Libraries

This SDK/example file by Nvidia seems to load most kinds of DDS files, even uncompressed ones, and cubemaps:
Code:
[url=http://ftp://download.nvidia.com/developer/GPU_Gems/CD_Image/Image_Processing/Image_Processing_Framework/LIBS/src/nv_dds/nv_dds.cpp]ftp://download.nvidia.com/developer/GPU_Gems/CD_Image/Image_Processing/Image_Processing_Framework/LIBS/src/nv_dds/nv_dds.cpp[/url]

I've personally used SOIL, which is very tiny and to the point, but I don't think it would be enough for this. DevIL is more batteries-included, and probably what you are looking for... it's based on that Nvidia code up there, so additionally supports a long list of pixel formats and obscure variants, even unofficial ones like volume textures. Take a look:

Code:
https://github.com/DentonW/DevIL/blob/master/DevIL/src-IL/src/il_dds.c#L457

Code:
PF_ARGB,
PF_RGB,
PF_DXT1,
PF_DXT2,
PF_DXT3,
PF_DXT4,
PF_DXT5,
PF_3DC,
PF_ATI1N,
PF_LUMINANCE,
PF_LUMINANCE_ALPHA,
PF_RXGB, //Doom3 normal maps
PF_A16B16G16R16,
PF_R16F,
PF_G16R16F,
PF_A16B16G16R16F,
PF_R32F,
PF_G32R32F,
PF_A32B32G32R32F

(https://github.com/DentonW/DevIL/blob/master/DevIL/src-IL/include/il_dds.h#L144)

Also. Does the face creation screen portrait rotation work now?

Recompressing with nvidia tools is a proven fix for black textures. Shaders don't have anything to do with it. Therefore the universal solution lies with mod devs using compatible tools to create textures, as for example optLn suggested with Gimp. Otherwise it's a do it yourself job :smile:

Dr_Shame said:
Recompressing with nvidia tools is a proven fix for black textures. Shaders don't have anything to do with it. Therefore the universal solution lies with mod devs using compatible tools to create textures, as for example optLn suggested with Gimp. Otherwise it's a do it yourself job :smile:

What settings do you use when recompressing? Can you pass me over some small before/after images by PM so that I can take it a look?

There is going to be a noticeable quality loss when playing with doubly compressed textures, by the way.
And I'm 99% sure that using a proven OpenGL-compatible loader like DevIL would fix this.

Example sent. There were no special settings used, i only selected the format for compression (dxt1, dxt5 ...) and that was it.

Dr_Shame said:
Example sent. There were no special settings used, i only selected the format for compression (dxt1, dxt5 ...) and that was it.

Took a look, compared both versions of the DXT1 file you sent to me, the original one that appeared black in Linux/Mac, and the recompressed one. They are almost identical, they even have the same bitwise flags, even optional ones.

Differences I've found out in their headers:

- The Nvidia compression tool did set the
Code:
dwPitchOrLinearSize
field, but without setting either the
Code:
DDSD_PITCH
or
Code:
DDSD_LINEARSIZE
bit in
Code:
dwFlags
(That might inconsistent, but still normal, checked out a bunch of DXT1 textures and exporters seem to set them randomly, wtf?!).

The original texture didn't had
Code:
dwPitchOrLinearSize
set, and that might be the actual problem because it's the field telling the loader the actual size of the image part that comes next, even if it can be sort of guessed by the better loaders. (??)

- Looks like the Nvidia compression tool fills a signature (
Code:
NVTT
) and an uint8_t (
Code:
, which is
Code:
0x20008
in hexadecimal) in the
Code:
dwReserved1[11]
area. But that seems like a harmless version number and shouldn't affect the loading, anything following the MS spec should skip that.

If somebody (Dr_Shame?) wants to take a look or try my modded original file to see if appears correctly in Linux/Mac,  here you have it:
Code:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108770784/gallic_boots_modded_header_swyter_dxt1.dds
--

So, to sum up: Shoddy work of compressors and decompressors all around, seems like the Nvidia plugins work best (Photoshop/NVTT). GIMP DDS is awesome too (I don't normally use that word, but the codebase is excellent).

Just don't use other lamer software which doesn't write minimally spec-correct headers and you are good to go. Things like DXTBmp or Paint.Net, you get the idea.

All the textures from The Last Days seem to appear correctly in Linux. So that says a lot of the modders behind it.

Hey guys!
There is the same question in this thread, but nobody answered. I want to make a new attempt to ask it:
How I can grab Linux version of Warband if I have a non-Steam version of it?

Back
Top Bottom