On norse and old english letters

Users who are viewing this thread

sample_name

Recruit
Hi, 

my very first time on the forums here  :cool:

I was wondering how i could get the letters 'eth' Ð and 'thorn' þ in my profile name(in multiplayer)?
I'm aware of the fact that i could just use the anglicized versions of these letters, but i feel that the other option is preferable.
Furthermore it has come to to my attention that you guys aren't much for sharing this information :wink: , but since I'm one of the impeccable optimists,  i hope one of you would make an exception just for me!

Thanks in advance!  :grin: :grin:

I've already helped Sigurðr here. Maybe we could offer to do the name edits by request (in connection with the Nafngift thread). It only requires the person to send a copy of their profiles.dat to one of the capable community members.

I never understood why this trick, which isn't all that hard to do once you get the hang of it, was such a close-guarded secret. Perhaps some like to hold a pretense of importance.

Wernicke said:
I never understood why this trick, which isn't all that hard to do once you get the hang of it, was such a close-guarded secret. Perhaps some like to hold a pretense of importance.
If you don't know why it's been kept a secret, perhaps you shouldn't speculate. Especially since the reason has been explained several times: it can be abused.

I can't think of any instance when a player who asked for this information hasn't been given it in private.

I'll quote myself from the Nafngift thread a while back:

Éadríc said:
We call it a secret, but I always told people who really wanted it to add me on Steam, where I would help them. Only a few actually ever did.

The danger of this power unbridled goes beyond the difficulty of banning certain players.

In one of the few cases of a player showing up with special characters in his name without the help of any of us Fyrnings, he wasn’t using it for an authentic name, but to have his entire name made up of outlandish characters. I was admin and he didn’t respond to any of my messages, whether he was actively ignoring me or because he really didn’t realise I was talking to him as I wasn't able to recreate his name in chat and get his attention. Either way, it was exactly the kind of situation I had wanted to avoid: severe lack of communication between admin and player (and of course between player and player).

Thanks for replies, and especially thanks to Dansk Viking for helping me out! cheers mate  :grin:

I've read the nafngift thread, but what you(Éadríc) quoted must have slipped my mind while i was doing so

Back
Top Bottom