YouTube and Me

Users who are viewing this thread

I checked the forums for something relevant, there have been YouTube threads but not exactly about this. Either that or I'm blind and cannot into engwish.

Anyway!

I seem to get frequent black screens in YouTube. The videos don't appear and Google+ technology doesn't seem to work from YT(I don't really care about that).
I have latest drivers and updates for flash and whatever seems to be needed.
I wouldn't complain, it's just my laptop also has these problems.

Laptop is also up to date but uses Windows 8. Chrome is mostly used for browsing, but has IE and Mozzie too.
PC is Vista maximum ultra service pack 222.  Mozzie is used for browsing but has Chrome and IE.

Could the presence of multiple Browsers be the cause?

Things that seem to help is using Internet Explorer, spamming the "clear cache" buttons in all troublesome browsers or ... sometimes spontaneously clicking a hotlink via Skype...

I had this trouble since September 2013, but it got frequent this February and after a while this May-June.

Tancred_de_Houdan said:
I have latest drivers and updates for flash and whatever seems to be needed.

I did however reinstall all drivers, but to no avail.
Plus there was an update today to Firefox 30 - hoping it would work. Nope.

It seems Internet Explorer is the only damn thing that works. xD

Thanks for the reply nonetheless.

I suddenly have this exact same problem now with firefox.
Bunch of videos just show up as either with a black screen or I get a "something went wrong" error message.
Even in videos I watched a short while ago. I've tried deleting all cookies and temp files and disabling all plugins but nothing happens.
Tried reinstalling flash.  No change.

And I haven't been able to find a single conclusive explanation to what causes it even thought it's been happening to a lot of people during past few years.

Oh boy, "something went wrong" is one of the most infuriating error messages ever  :lol:

I got them black screens sometimes too, had to do a clean reinstall of Firefox once because of that.

Thankfully it just got serious that time, and only happens very sparsely.

Last one I had solved itself just by cleaning everything on the cache on the fly, didn't even had to restart the browser.

The site that apparently triggered it was Polycount, though.

What I usually recommend at these kinds of situations is a Portable Firefox or a Portable Palemoon (Which is basically Firefox without the recent "improvements" to the User Interface.)

I do like portable browsers 'cause they won't really be affected by (or won't affect) your local browser settings. And when you end up upgrading your system, you'll just need to copy/paste a single folder and it's like you never missed a beat. :3

Upgraded/downgraded flash? Do html5 videos on youtube work? Do videos on other pages (vimeo, dailymotion) work okay?

Also, tried with portable browsers? Even if you reinstall a normally installed browser, it can leave traces of the old setup behind, as its files are scattered all over the hard drive.

Another thing I'd try is (if you use firefox or comptatible) is get Greasemonkey and then the Youtube Center script for it (I set up a temporary host for it as all the officials seem to be AWOL atm). You could also try the firefox addon version of it, but that has some serious memory leaking going on with it. It's also available for other browsers if you happen to prefer something else.

Anywho, with that script/add-on installed, you can set different modes for the flash player (Player -> Flash WMode in the YC settings). Do any of those work?

What do you think of "Nightly" J?

I recently needed to install the proper 64-bit version of Java . . . think it was to be able to run some Minecraft mods. Seems that the Java download site gets bottlenecked by the type of browser you are using and there is only a 32-bit version of Firefox, and the 64-bit version is "Nightly" which is "unofficial."

Anyway, I am now seeing some strange problems with Nightly when watching Youtubes (so not totally unrelated to this thread).

Just today. I'll start a video playing, and then cursor becomes unresponsive. Task manager out of Nightly entirely and the video is STILL playing. Seems there is some "plugin container" process that is getting launched now and that disabling Nightly does not disable those plugin containers. This must be because of either an update to MS Windows (which I think I did yesterday, when I installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and it prompted me to update some other stuff) or updates to Nightly.

Other than this I have so far really liked Nightly and it does seem to be a tad bit faster than Firefox.

SacredStoneHead said:
Oh boy, "something went wrong" is one of the most infuriating error messages ever  :lol:

Not as much of this:

Guru-Meditation.gif

Anthropoid said:
What do you think of "Nightly" J?
Eh, I hopped out of the Firefox wagon once they implemented the UI downgrade. :razz:

Currently using Palemoon, which is pretty much Firefox with all the extra new fluff removed and old useful features kept in. Quick checklist of differences and the differences in a bit more detail.

And you can download any Java version you fancy over here.
The "plugin container" thing was added couple years ago, so flash crashing wouldn't crash the whole browser. That is very unlikely to have anything to do with your java version, but you might want to grab the newest flash version.

Thanks J I'll check that out.

Couple more questions for you.

1. I'm using Firefox right now. I've noticed that when I right-click embedded elements (e.g., a pic in the Dreamier women's thread) I am not getting my menu of options like "Save Image As / Copy Image Location /" etc. It seems to have just disappeared today. Any idea what that might be?

2. I'm making a move toward training as a data scientist, and I'm told that, for the innovative startup companies and such, use of open-source apps is the thing (MySQL, Python, Java, etc.). Linux I understand is pretty much the "open-source OS" and I'm increasingly intrigued by what I hear about using Linux OS. Any chance you know much about 'becoming' a Linux user? Any good blogs or articles or anything you've seen that discuss the transition from being a Windows user to a Linux user/developer?

Back
Top Bottom