Gekokujo: Bugs and Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Hanakoganei said:
Have you checked your treasury? If you didn't know your treasury is with your Chamberlain. It's a feature of Diplomacy, which is included in Gekokujo.
Where is my chamberlain? When I first got my little village, I was given the option to appoint one, and it said he would be in my court. But as far as I know, I don't have a court until I own a city, or castle at least.

Articulo34 said:
Should be in your village near the elder. If you get a castle or a town he will be there too.
Ah, thanks. By the way, to prevent derailing this thread with a discussion on historical archery, I have ceated a thread in the Sages Guild:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,312603.0.html

Articulo34 said:
Chuckpalomo said:
-Make the katana type weapons two handed/one handed again, since the functionality remains the same, but the idle animation seems more appropriate, looks more relaxed and correlates better to the weight and lengh of the weapon.
You might want to try the animations submod. Among other things, it adds different idle animations for two-handed weapons.
I did, but they still feel kind of awkward for such a small looking sword. I ended up changing them back to their native form on Morgh's editor, but I'd feel better if it was official. It's just a recomendation anyway, some people may like it better this way and it's just as well.
Melphiz said:
Chuckpalomo said:
-The other suggestion is to disable bodyguards in towns and villages, or at least add an option for it. I really hate having my guys following me around all the time, always getting in the way and annoying me with their presence. I don't want a ghuman pet dammit!
0, F1, F1
IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME DAMMIT.

so, what's the news about faction relation matrix?
i was just wondering, because this issue got sunk underneath other discussions
there's still a slightly tedious workaround to see the relations in note>factions page, but a working horizontal scroll for the table would be nice too

oh and there's another thing, i have too many villages and production units that the weekly payout page doesn't show some of the lines
my vassals only need castles to rest in anyway, so yeah, i'm greedy

jacobhinds said:
In feudal japan such an offer would probably get a bunch of laughing samurai farting in your general direction.
I mean imagine the frustration if there's some nice juicy castle you really want, but mid-siege some random lord pops out and says "i'm at a huge disadvantage but we'll fight on terms decided by me" and if you decline you lose honour. Dunno about you but I'd catapult feces into his castle for that.

You wouldn't be forced to accept, just like the enemy wouldn't be forced to accept if you were the one with a smaller force. Obviously, if there was a concern about reputation, that's a price you pay. Giving a general a fair chance in one-on-one combat would obviously be held in high esteem among your peers in Bushido (Courtesy), whereas winning with a superior force is no sign of a great tactician (Book of Sun Tzu) so there is an obvious basis for why it could be in the game. You aren't required to choose the option, this is more for a roleplay style than anything.

An enemy who has higher respect for you would probably be more likely to give you a chance to prove your way to victory, especially if he was focused on honor. He wouldn't wish you to dishonor yourself by fleeing combat (an option I would never take if I was playing more of a roleplaying a samurai) but not slaughter your troops. This is just as much a RPG (and not just in the stat sense) as it is a strategy game, and I don't see a reason why you should limit options that are available just because it isn't 'realistic', especially since it wouldn't be forced on you to actually accept it.

It's just the tone of 1v1 duels that bothers me. If gekokujo was set during the mid Edo era when Bushido was invented, then i can imagine stuff like that existing to an extent (although you'd also have to content with samurai completely wetting themselves at the thought of real combat, and getting pitiful income because of sankin kotai and the fact that there'd be nobody to fight). But when i think of the sengoku jidai, i think of tactless, utilitarian assclowns who wrecked the island for a good 200 years.
Then there's the practical aspect of how to code the ai do that it doesn't just spam duel offers whenever it thinks it might lose, but also making it logical rather than random so that it's not just an annoying and unavoidable honour hit. It'd be pretty hard to implement.

Doesn't make sense anyway. A smart commander would never agree to something so risky (actually stupid) because IRL there's always a chance of something going wrong. It isn't like in anime where the stronger character always wins unless the writer somehow makes him upgrade his skills drastically in mid-combat. One hit will likely end the fight IRL, with your arm on the ground or your guts spilling out, so there isn't time to underestimate the opponent before revealing your final form, charge up your chakra or whatever.

You may outclass your opponent in swordsmanship on paper but anybody can beat anybody IRL, just like how boxers and mixed martial artists can lose sometimes even to opponents that are supposedly weaker than them. Especially when there are no real rules. You might trip on a rock as you backpedal, or they might have all along been planning to kill you by dirty means so your army has no commander. "We're going to die in this castle anyway, might as well guarantee their commander dies with us!"

And what if you lose fair and square? According to the terms of this duel, your large army that you amassed just goes home? If I were second-in-command in that army I wouldn't keep my end of the bargain, even if it's supposedly dishonorable. The objective is to win the war so as to end it as quickly as possible, and sending your men home on what should be an easy victory is madness.

However, I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun to suddenly be able to duel somebody while on the battlefield. We just need a more plausible scenario in which that could happen. If we can think of one, I'm all for trying to come up with the code for a sumbod.

[quote author=jacobhinds]Then there's the practical aspect of how to code the ai do that it doesn't just spam duel offers whenever it thinks it might lose, but also making it logical rather than random so that it's not just an annoying and unavoidable honour hit. It'd be pretty hard to implement.[/quote]
This is actually possible and not too hard to implement I think. I can already imagine the flowchart of how it would go. It might not be as smart as humans but it's fairly easy to put limiters to prevent it from spamming or happening all the time, similar to the limiters that prevent you from reaching a 100% chance to persuade a lord to switch over to your faction.

Not that we should work on this code yet since I agree that the dueling-to-decide-a-battle thing is a bad idea anyway.

:grin: - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasekura_Tsunenaga

HasekuraCrossAndMedal.jpg

HasekuraQirinale.jpg

HasekuraAmati.jpg

Hasekura_in_Rome.JPG

HasekuraBlason.jpg

HasekuraRosaries.JPG

HasekuraPrayer.jpg

I have been thinking about the mixed skirmishers dilemma and how to solve it without sacrificing variety yet giving the player more control over what kind of ranged troops they wish.
The idea I´ve come up with is leaving them the way they are, since it´s not much a problem for the AI anyway (won´t use neither bowmen nor gunners to full potential) but allow the player to chose which weapon give them the moment they get a castle/town and hire an army adviser. This kind of makes sense from a realistic point of view (the player gets the means to produce the weaponry in sufficient numbers) and won´t change neither the current balance for the AI nor affect the variety you can see on the field.

I know a way to do that but it won't be save compatible.

I had a similar system with my Floris-based submod where you can select what role your troops play in your army whenever you aren't in combat. In real life that was definitely possible. If you needed more spearmen, just give some of your grunts some spears, etc.

The pseudo-benefit is that if you apply it to all troops you can have all of your peasant warriors congruent as a unit if you want, and the AI can also use the same thing with a little scripting, so you might be facing some lords that use pure cavalry or pure musketeers or whatever they feel like.

I never finished the code but it's very simple in concept and I'll be willing to try to implement it here if you guys want. I always felt bad that I never got to finish my submod for Floris, and this might give me some closure lol.

It'll be a submod if I ever get around to releasing it. The implementation for end-users should be fairly simple, adding entire lines into the .txt files or recompiling their source files as I instruct. It's a very very simple concept really. Just to give you a hint, we'll be editing troops, adding some dialog options and adding some scripted events in triggers.

The hard part (actually tedious) is on my end. However it should be worth it especially for what it can do. Because NPC lords also use the system, it'll really change how you play the game, making it a bit more challenging. You might end up fighting a lord that uses pure cavalry, for example, which can be quite annoying for some army compositions. Other lords will be using archers with spearmen to protect them, and others will still maintain a seemingly random mix.

This is all controlled by their personality, which I think should influence their philosophies on war. There's also always a little bit of random variance of course, because I don't want it to become monotonous. A lord that usually uses pure cavalry might sometimes enlist a bunch of musketeers to complement the cavalry for example, just to spice things up.

I also plan on making changes to AI behavior, either included with this or as a submod on its own. It should complement this troop congruency submod very well. Because we know that the NPC lords with only one troop type (infantry/archer/cavalry) will have them all lined up in a ridiculously long line that's just ridiculous. Did I mention how ridiculous it is? The plan will be so that if the lord is using a purist/congruent army type then they'll try to divide it into multiple smaller units. So you should hopefully be able to see lords using multiple cavalry wedges, with one of them charging early so as to turn the flank for the other cavalry charges.

I had an alpha version of this in Floris and it was working alright for what few features I implemented. I'll likely keep it fairly simple though, primarily focusing on volley fire for NPC lords and flanking cavalry units, with some other minor features like spearmen being the frontliners.

For some reason all the male voices during battle progressively get lower, like, creepy low. The confusing part to this is that it's just happening when I play Gekokujo (tried Native, Floris, Prophesy, ACOK, etc. and they sound normal). It usually isn't a bother but since I use the battle sizer forcing the game to hold 500 men in a battlefield, the clashes... they just sound 'demonic'. Especially the victories when they all just shout and hail Satan with those demented Adam's apples of theirs D:

Happened to me before, only not in Gekokujo. It happened in two different computers, with two different versions of Warband (1.143 and 1.151) and two different mods (Diplomacy + PBOD and Floris). The only thing in common was that it always happened in long lasting games, always over 1000 days.

The sound issue is likely caused by the sound driver making a mistake with how to read the .ogg files. The .ogg format is a mono 44100Hz sound format, and sometimes a sound driver will read it at 22050Hz (half speed), making the sounds play lower. The possible causes for this are many and varied, but in games it's often caused by memory mismanagement, which is why it happens during long sessions or older games where the game has loaded a lot of information.

A possible fix if this happens to be the case is to update your sound drivers and check its settings.

I don't know why this is my go-to for announcements now, but I've finally been able to fully upload Gekokujo to the steam workshop now so that all you have to do is subscribe to download. The workshop uploader has been giving me nothing but trouble ever since it came out aughhhhhhh.

In other news though, I have a full to-do list for 3.1 fixes and I've even finished coding some of them! But progress is slow as I work on my new game. I promise to get back into the Gekokujo update once I meet the major milestone I've been gunning for (that has been 2 months behind schedule).

I know I shouldn't post about it here but I can't help myself. Here's a couple of sprites from my other game
HVrfgGQ.gif

rImOMjk.gif

Is it possible to create some place to sell your goods if you are a brigand? With the private mansions and islands I think it would be neat to have bases where you can sell your goods as well if it isn't safe to go to a regular city.

Back
Top Bottom