Dropping stuff and staying out of view... Aka; Stayin alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Slyloki

Recruit
I would like to be able to drop goods when trying to flee a group of enemies..
Say I'm carrying a huge load of salt to Zendar and am being pursued by black riders.. my speed is 6.7 and their speed is 7.0.. I know that if they catch up to me, they will kill my small band of guards as well and steal some prescious horses and some salt... So it would be good if I could drop a few bags of salt until my speed at least matches theirs so that I can reach the safety of a town, The loss of a few goods being far better than the alternative... :smile:

Staying out of view comes down to scouting ranges, It's fine that the scout/spotting range is based on a skill, but generally speaking this range should be influenced in a large way by amount of cavalry in the troop.. (as they can scout further afield...
The reverse side of this is that a party of 2 should be harder to spot than a noisy band of 30 galloping horses...

I've seen that suggested before. And i agree.

Also, it is currently a feature of the game that you can see larger parties from further away than you can see smaller parties from.

Ingolifs said:
Also, it is currently a feature of the game that you can see larger parties from further away than you can see smaller parties from.

Ahh... didn't know that... thanks for that.. Makes me a very happy chappy..

powerg8 said:
search before you post.

Thanks for that useful bit of advice...
I did this, and I must have searched on the wrong words (like "I'm a clueless knobhead") because it came back with 2 odd pages of threads a few times, thats about 70 threads i did not wish to manually scan through just before having to go off to work...
I also read the frequent suggestions and didn't see it listed...

Hope my efforts will appease the forum nazi's... :roll:

Well, bravo, for 'cargo' is the last word I would have thought of using.

Anyhow,

I agree with your suggestion.

One way I found in the game right now to go faster is to uncapture prisonner or fire footmen. Useful when you really need to go a bit faster.

I thought no i am not going to ask a n00b question " How do I drop items " I will eventually work it out by myself ha . Now I find out that we actually cant . Dam my opinion on M&B dropped several points . I've read all the post's on dropping cargo , well i never trade or do stupid deliver this crap to that dump kind of quests . But what if i got a broken sword , bend spear or some other junk i just don't want ? For example " I just won a battle got some nice loot wanna give some better gear to Borcha... oops he got small inventory it's full so I gotta take his rusty knife, tatters, wooden club, lame mount etc. into my inventory taking up valuable space and run all the way to ****ing town just to get rid of worthless junk? well that sucks.  Why? is the dev. worried we are littering caladria or something? Now I know **** about programming and if it is a huge job to include a drop feature well then sorry i spoke but i have played several dozens of rpg and they all got it as for reality surely no
warrior let's his mount carry useless junk he never ever uses .

If you have gear you don't want, and can't be bothered to sell it, just leave it with your enemies when you win a fight.  You can always swap out loot after battles, so by all means, leave that rusty knife on the corpse of the black knight and grab his helm instead.  You can leave more than you take, too, so if you get really desperate, just ride over a river pirate and drop your junk on him.  A drop button would be convenient, sure, but the alternatives aren't exactly horrible.

[quote author=Slyloki ]
[quote author=powerg8]
search before you post.
[/quote]

Thanks for that useful bit of advice...
I did this, and I must have searched on the wrong words (like "I'm a clueless knobhead") because it came back with 2 odd pages of threads a few times, thats about 70 threads i did not wish to manually scan through just before having to go off to work...
I also read the frequent suggestions and didn't see it listed...

Hope my efforts will appease the forum nazi's...  Rolling Eyes[/quote]

OK - now Slyloki has not been on since december - however there is a VERY IMPORTANT point here..

The main reason you find about 70 threads - is because so many people CREATE NEW threads, rather than taking the time to refine their search, and also read through what they do find.

I suggest that if you do not have the time to read through the threads before you post, then perhaps you should wait to post until you have the time....

What goes around comes around. 

IMHO the LAST thing you want to start your thread/post with is saying "I'm sorry, I was too lazy to read all the information that is already here - so I'm going to just post anyway"

And the second to last thing you want to say is "I'm sorry I was too lazy to search about this, so I am going to go ahead and post anyway"

capiche?

DE

Deus Ex said:
The main reason you find about 70 threads - is because so many people CREATE NEW threads, rather than taking the time to refine their search, and also read through what they do find.

Further to that point, is it too much to ask for sensible subject lines? We know the search function is somewhat inefficient, however having several hundred posts entitled "A few suggestions" or "What I think this game needs" doesn't help. If you want to suggest something, give it a subject that's relevant. Does that make sense?

Slyloki said:
Staying out of view comes down to scouting ranges, It's fine that the scout/spotting range is based on a skill, but generally speaking this range should be influenced in a large way by amount of cavalry in the troop.. (as they can scout further afield...
The reverse side of this is that a party of 2 should be harder to spot than a noisy band of 30 galloping horses...

Yes, you can see larger parties further away, but i agree that parties with horses should be able to see further to.

One way I found in the game right now to go faster is to uncapture prisonner or fire footmen. Useful when you really need to go a bit faster.

if you capture mounted prisioners, they will also increase your speed :smile:

sneakey pete said:
That depends.  It will decrease the penalty to your speed for excess baggage, but if you're not heavily loaded it can often slow you down.  I've noticed that dropping half my knights off at my castle will increase my speed from about 8.6 to about 10.4

Eogan said:
sneakey pete said:
That depends.  It will decrease the penalty to your speed for excess baggage, but if you're not heavily loaded it can often slow you down.  I've noticed that dropping half my knights off at my castle will increase my speed from about 8.6 to about 10.4

Yeah, well, if all you've got is foot troops, it's the way to go :wink:

I'm talking mainly about in the earlyer stages of the game

sneakey pete said:
Eogan said:
sneakey pete said:

Yeah, well, if all you've got is foot troops, it's the way to go :wink:

I'm talking mainly about in the earlyer stages of the game

Essentialy, mounted prisoners have LESS of a movement PENALTY - so if you have foot troops, and ADD mounted prisoners, your overall average PENALTY will be less - hence you will be faster than with just foot troops alone.

AFAIK the only thing that will INCREASE your world map movement rate is the pathfinding skill.  Otherwise, everything else is just a negative modifier.

This works with carrying goods and horses the same way.  There is a negative modier for carrying XXX amount of goods, if you add a horse (any kind, lame works great and are cheap) the negative modifier from the cargo is REDUCED.

If you are moving at 10 and carrying no cargo, adding another horse will not speed you up - it will just let you carry more before the negative modifier for cargo kicks in.

DE

I've taken mounted enemies prisoner before, and noticed the same drop in speed as when I take infantrymen prisoner. I always assumed the prisoners are stripped of equipment, includinging their mounts, before you tie their hands and drag them off to become slaves...

Sir David of Derby said:
I've taken mounted enemies prisoner before, and noticed the same drop in speed as when I take infantrymen prisoner. I always assumed the prisoners are stripped of equipment, includinging their mounts, before you tie their hands and drag them off to become slaves...
Hmmmm, could be related to the additional LOOT you picked up as well?

Of course, I could be wrong too - not at all impossible.  I will have to enable cheats some time and test it out.

DE

Would be nice if when you take a mounted prisoner, you could take his horse and use it to carry the guy's stuff that you just ripped off his back...

Back
Top Bottom