Leveling up Companions

Users who are viewing this thread

IlluminaZer0 said:
Yeah, many cities have safe areas for both melee and archery. Part of the reason I considered Ethos a "gamble" is that it has bad melee spots and the safe zone for archery is rather far from the ladder.

Note that in all images I am causing more damage than my entire army as well. Don't underestimate melee!

I would guess that massive battlesizes make it more difficult for the player on defense, namely as the melee spots become excessively crowded and the enemy blob may push enemy archers into areas they would not usually go to. I am guessing enemy units getting stuck on each other would likely lead to more potshots from charging archers as well.

Using jumping polearm slashes can get tricky with massive allied blobs as well, as they may move under you. Usually you will just float for a while, allowing you to get additional jumping slashes before you fall down. Sometimes however the physics engine will freak out and you'll get launched in an unpredictable way... I've gotten KOed by fall damage this way. Narrow walkways can be really bad for melee due to allied troops making jump slashes risky and limiting your ability to use allies as shields.
I tried your trick, and failed misserably. Died so quick you wouldn't belive it. I used a bec-de-corbin, and overhand chops.

Obviously I am doing it wrong.

What polearm should I use, and how do I not get murdered so quick :razz:
It would be nice to be able to help hold the ladder/tower entry point.
God damn Huscarls and Jarls are swarming my poor Kierguards and Rangers, and slaughtering them in job lots. 

You need a lot of tough troops with shields at the front, then you hide behind a wall (so you won't get hit by missiles), and then use any long polearm you like. Length 140+ should be fine. Sometimes you will still get hit...that's just luck.

Luck and sometimes it's just the damned fief & attacker combi (also, sometimes the AI just acts weird, so you have to constantly manual order them around)....Fierds are a ***** to defend against in a siege.

This is a question that relates to the very start of this topic: those of you who 'solo' parties like parties with your lance, what kind of starting choices do you make, and what kind of equipment do you get? I've never been able to start strong enough to not get one shotted by their javelins.

Also, is it easy to then change from a lancer to an archer when you're done with the smaller parties?

Yes. No special investment in powerstrike is neccesary, and archery requires high strenght.

To use a lance I belive the minimum is 10 str, so you'd need that, or that 8 str and eat qualis gem.

I don't pick my starting options with regards to lancing Vanskerries, that would be bad for later in the game.

You get oneshotted by the javelins. Just don't get hit. Use a courser, and circle them untill they are out of ammo.

Also, I'm not sure how valid this tactic is on full damage to player, as I usually play on half.

And one more thing. If you're gonna couch, go in figures of 8, and only engage when the dudes are on the right side of the horse.

Also, the Long hafted blunt mace is great for those early fights. Reach weapon from horseback.
Works just like a spear, but is blunt. Very nice untill you find that Blunt Tip Lance.

I play on full damage and good AI, and anytime I go near the vanks, I turn into a pincushion. I decided to just go with the squire option and work my way up by gaining renown, cash and exp. Also hoping that I get that follow the marshal quest (I'm trying to become friendly with the empire and they offered me to become a mercenary, not that I do anything  :razz: ) so I can get a massive bump of exp; I've once had about 17,000 from it.
Hoping for a blunt lance soon, but I'll look for the hafted mace. Thanks for the heads up!

You can always find yourself a knighthood order that spawns small bands, and that rarely have lances, and take them out.
They give great XP, and as long as you have the faster horse, and abuse pathing in forrests a bit, taking on 5 knights solo shouldn't be impossible.

The trick is being patient, and not engaging unless the terrain and relative speeds and positions favour you. If they have a lance, you need to drop their horse first.
The thing that usually gets me is the Small Bush of YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and subsequent lance to the neck.

ericmyrs said:
You can always find yourself a knighthood order that spawns small bands, and that rarely have lances, and take them out.
They give great XP, and as long as you have the faster horse, and abuse pathing in forrests a bit, taking on 5 knights solo shouldn't be impossible.

The trick is being patient, and not engaging unless the terrain and relative speeds and positions favour you. If they have a lance, you need to drop their horse first.
The thing that usually gets me is the Small Bush of YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and subsequent lance to the neck.

Yeah thats a good idea actually. But I don't particularly want to make any orders hate me. Wouldn't snake cult parties be better?

Dalloskid said:
Yeah I was thinking of them, I personally don't get why people like them so much  :razz:
Back story. Plus their 2 of the best Orders in Pendor, and if you got a bunch of either in your troop, most battles will be easy. 8 Dawn Knights can kill 40+  Mountain bandits on their own with ease. Eventide is pretty much the same. Granted, I used an editor to change all Order relations to 0, as I never understood how they could possibly hate me when I'm new to Pendor. So now I can freely join them without having to grind relations.

Also I prefer Shadow Legion and Ebony Gauntlet as their both well equipped and have ranged capability, though had to buff EG weapon profs in troops.txt to make them more lore like Immortals (Based on Pop wiki), as their supposed to be on par with Immortals on weapon profs but have the worst out of all the Orders.

Whitestrake said:
Dalloskid said:
Yeah I was thinking of them, I personally don't get why people like them so much  :razz:
Back story. Plus their 2 of the best Orders in Pendor, and if you got a bunch of either in your troop, most battles will be easy. 8 Dawn Knights can kill 40+  Mountain bandits on their own with ease. Eventide is pretty much the same. Granted, I used an editor to change all Order relations to 0, as I never understood how they could possibly hate me when I'm new to Pendor. So now I can freely join them without having to grind relations.

Also I prefer Shadow Legion and Ebony Gauntlet as their both well equipped and have ranged capability, though had to buff EG weapon profs in troops.txt to make them more lore like Immortals (Based on Pop wiki), as their supposed to be on par with Immortals on weapon profs but have the worst out of all the Orders.

They hate you because lore. Hard to argue with that. One assumes everyone is a heretic, the other are heretics.
And with the EG, they are weaker because they don't even currently have an established order. That's the way I always saw it.

Dalloskid said:
They hate you because lore. Hard to argue with that. One assumes everyone is a heretic, the other are heretics.
And with the EG, they are weaker because they don't even currently have an established order. That's the way I always saw it.

Why do they only hate me? They leave all my fellow Fierd lords alone.

oldark said:
Dalloskid said:

Why do they only hate me? They leave all my fellow Fierd lords alone.
Which is why I changed relations. They don't bother anyone else but ME. Lore wise, they wouldn't attack because the Dawn wouldnt attack everyone just to simply attack them and the Eventide would rather have you on their side to fight against the Dawn and attacking everyone wouldn't help their cause. Plus, not everyone in the Dawn and Eventide (Sir Roland and Sir Jocelyn) are bad. The EG are established somewhere, probably in a Hidden Keep somewhere around Laria. Same goes for Silvermist Rangers.

The whole point is that they aren't established. There's just a few groups of knights left over from when they were. Same with Sir Rayne's order, the ravens (if I remember correctly). Whenever you see the EG parties it says lost patrol, and theres only a small number - remnants from their former glory.

My playstyle is to get all the INT skills myself and turn all my companions into horse archers.  This is what I do, but this playstyle is not for everyone of course.  I always look for the most OP cookie cutter build and go with that :smile: It does get a bit boring sometimes though.

Companion equipment:
Metline bow -> noldor bow -> runed ruby bow
lion/falcon/noldor enchanted shield
Deer horse -> noldor horse
Armor - whatever gives the best protection - they're on a horse most of the time

Skills to get in decreasing order of importance PS > PD > Riding > Training > HA = WM > IF > Athletics = Shield

Here's my Freddy and Siggy.  They're basically Legolas 1 and 2. (as are almost all my other companions other than the knights, donny and boadice)
pBksx4Z.jpg
hThEfuK.jpg

Back
Top Bottom