Leveling up Companions

Users who are viewing this thread

fidoman1272 said:
pvtchaos said:
fidoman1272 said:
pvtchaos said:
Hoping that the next version of POP will have the ammo replenish function for the player same as in L&D, always running out of throwing spears.
If we do that suddenly players will have unlimited Noldor arrows with their godly Duskfall bow.
∞ Noldor arrows + Duskfall = one very unhappy Fierdsvain army.

Well if you use the chest during the battle it comes up to the same point. Main issue for me is that im running out of javelins/spears fast and I often cant reach the chest because theres so many men on the walls due to battlesize.
To further that, PoP is a hard game. If having no ammo in sieges is your #1 concern, you're playing a lot better than me.

Well for sieges it actually is, feels silly to stand there doing nothing while my companions keep throwing stuff.

Curious question : whats your #1 concern in a siege then ?

To surivive.

If you use throwing weapons instead of a crossbow and up to three quivers in a defensive siege, your fault. If you´re a dedicated archer you shouldn´t have a problem at all to loot enough spare arrows from your fellow dead archers or pick them off the castle wall/ground/siege tower (just like the odd throwing spear, bolt or axe). All you risk is beeing shot and that´s nothing unusual in that situation.

Bolts are far more tricky to obtain, as naturally, you want to use archers who fire noteably faster and kill at a much higher pace at point blank range whereas crossbows deal a lot more of punch at a steady pace but you´ll only use them if you play Empire.

Throwing weapons already have a very high ammunition capacity for their weight, just like average arrow quiver sizes are too high.
Again a cut of reality for the sake of gameplay and fun. Try to put 40 arrows in your quiver and see how you can handle that bundle.

A sheaf of  english war arrows counted 24 shafts. Greek javelin throwers had around 3 throwing spears with them. So PoP´s already pretty high with it´s actual amount of ammuniton but since MnB lacks the mechanic of resupplying during a field battle it´s approbiate.

The infinite ammo for defenders is something TW invented, not PoP, just like they kept accuracy at 100% and PD making a damage bonus instead of a speed and accuracy one so complaining about it is pointless, you need to accept it and circumvent it smartly.

If you want to bypass that problem, especially with throwing weapons, esure to bring troops which throw stuff with you to loot ammunition from the fallen or use a crossbow.

And stay alive. I haven´t had many battles where I lived long enough to empty 3 large quivers of crossbow bolts. El Loco´s currently level 41 or 42, can´t recall it properly. And as he´s having around 400 crossbow proficiency he´s having a lot of fun together with the side-bayonet Mettenheim crossbow if the situation calls in for a sound and heavy thump.

One of the worst abusations of top-shotting was Hundred Years War for MnB - if you played english and you had taken care of the few french crossbowmen you simply camped on the ladder and either potshotted opposition or wrecked 250 zombies with your polearm, as overhead slashes have greater range than stabs, at least from my impression :wink:

In sieges a good polearm is more useful than bolts and arrows, I find. Polearms' overhead swing isn't blocked by friendlies (unless they're standing right next to you), so you can just chop baddies without worrying about ammo, from behind your meatshields. Even a low level character can make a big impact on the course of a battle with just a southern glaive.

I love thrown weapons, but they're just not very useful in siege situations. The 24 stacks of broadheads I lug around are for dehorsing knights  :grin:

noosers said:
And stay alive. I haven´t had many battles where I lived long enough to empty 3 large quivers of crossbow bolts.

? You serious ? If im using the arbalest I can easily go through 6 quivers of bolts. I guess ya need to stand abit less in the dangerzone.

reticentReciter said:
The 24 stacks of broadheads I lug around are for dehorsing knights  :grin:

I prefer to charge the knights, sidesweep my horse at the last moment and create one huge cavalry traffic jam.
The broadheads are then used for headshots, no need to kill the horses, afterall theyre part of the loot  :mrgreen:

pvtchaos said:
? You serious ? If im using the arbalest I can easily go through 6 quivers of bolts. I guess ya need to stand abit less in the dangerzone.

Tell that the 5 Scorpion Assassains which claimed the wall and beeline straight for your sorry hide while your first wave of reinforcements is arriving.
Good luck fending off a D´Shar sabre with 3 quivers of bolts.
Not to mention there´s no real safe position as many things fly towards your general direction in any kind of siege and once I emptied 3 quivers the battle´s pretty much over anyways as I have to play on battle size 150 in order to avoid deepfrying my laptop.

So what you can and what you can´t matters pretty little to me, as it usually depends on too many different things to make it easily comparable.

Plugging up cavalry is awesome as well - especially against the Jatu. Nothing more awesome if the clog up right in front of your infantry and archers instead of charging home straight.  :mrgreen:

I definitely don't have trouble finding safe spots to shoot from on the defending side of a siege. I guess it depends on the castle though. Generally if you can see the top half of the ladder/the siege tower 'bridge' but not the rest of force outside the walls, you won't get shot at much.

As for battle size, I have mine set to 500, but I might turn that down to 400 seeing as full battles drop my fps to 25.  :razz:
(And yeah, you definitely go through ammo quick at that size)

Jude said:
I definitely don't have trouble finding safe spots to shoot from on the defending side of a siege. I guess it depends on the castle though. Generally if you can see the top half of the ladder/the siege tower 'bridge' but not the rest of force outside the walls, you won't get shot at much.

As for battle size, I have mine set to 500, but I might turn that down to 400 seeing as full battles drop my fps to 25.  :razz:
(And yeah, you definitely go through ammo quick at that size)

Yeah I got battlesize to 870 right now and it  makes a difference how sieges play out, only issue is that moving on the walls is difficult.

Yeah, many cities have safe areas for both melee and archery. Part of the reason I considered Ethos a "gamble" is that it has bad melee spots and the safe zone for archery is rather far from the ladder.

9IsiIlB.jpg

Note that the wall protects my side and I can safely attack from a significant distance.
NwTFadQ.jpg

This is before I had power strike 10 IIRC. Without my damage output the city would have fallen as well... The later lower tier troops are almost incapable of harming the Noldor. It was a very close siege...

Sometimes you can even find safe melee safe spots on the offensive...
9gMXNyT.jpg
QILLwmU.jpg

Gahahahahaha!

The left side was actually populated with enemies when I first started too.
Note that in all images I am causing more damage than my entire army as well. Don't underestimate melee!

I would guess that massive battlesizes make it more difficult for the player on defense, namely as the melee spots become excessively crowded and the enemy blob may push enemy archers into areas they would not usually go to. I am guessing enemy units getting stuck on each other would likely lead to more potshots from charging archers as well.

Using jumping polearm slashes can get tricky with massive allied blobs as well, as they may move under you. Usually you will just float for a while, allowing you to get additional jumping slashes before you fall down. Sometimes however the physics engine will freak out and you'll get launched in an unpredictable way... I've gotten KOed by fall damage this way. Narrow walkways can be really bad for melee due to allied troops making jump slashes risky and limiting your ability to use allies as shields.

In my format my battlesize is default max (150) but I have infinite reinforcements. If the spot isn't relatively safe then my avatar is going to get killed sooner or later with the duration of 1000+ troop sieges.

I use upward slash so much that this comes to mind...
I'm actually not a king in my recent game as I was a little too ambitious and tried to establish my own kingdom with 7 RTR... From scratch too, no rebellion. It was going pretty well until my Empire troops (mistake #2) had -99 morale and I was fighting 3 kingdoms (probably going on 4) simultaneously. :oops:

Gained a lot of renown and experience though. Actually fought on until I was basically wiped out too.  :cool: Thankfully they confiscated my lordly Ravenstern Helm rather than my crown, which was in storage at the time.

My kingdom will be back though, oh yes...

Jude said:
pvtchaos said:
It might be a little off topic, but might I ask what setup you've got to maintain that?

Nothing special, i5-2400 with a radeon 7800, but running with shadows off. Infact POP is one of the few mods that allows such a high battlesize, most others major mods will severely lag.

Strange, sounds like I actually have a much better setup.

I do have all the graphics settings maxed out though, maybe I'll try changing that.

Jude said:
Strange, sounds like I actually have a much better setup.

I do have all the graphics settings maxed out though, maybe I'll try changing that.

If you havent also already, start tweaking your OS. Theres usually tons of unnecessary services running that will eat resources.
Heres a thread with some tips for M&B tweaks http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,127609.0.html/

Biggest performance impact for me was turning off shadows and setting a low body count, for the rest im running at max settings too.

noosers said:
Get rid of the usual suspects - grass density, shadows, dust, water, ragdolls and corpses and raise the count.
pvtchaos said:
If you havent also already, start tweaking your OS. Theres usually tons of unnecessary services running that will eat resources.
Heres a thread with some tips for M&B tweaks http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,127609.0.html/

Biggest performance impact for me was turning off shadows and setting a low body count, for the rest im running at max settings too.

Sorry for not saying anything.

So I did some testing, and found very strange results.

With warband as the only (big) program running, I kept a save game and kept going into battles against a stack of 800 Jatu.

On both the highest possible settings and the lowest possible, my fps changes by maybe 5 or 10. Even including the stuff in that post linked. Battle size seems to be the only deciding factor here. Very strange.

I've tried fights against Not-The Jatu and the fps is actually generally better. Likely due to the Jatu having horses for every man. Also I suppose it would be obvious but being inside the grinder during a siege causes some hilarious effects.

Here's my setup if you were curious.

Windows 7 64-bit
AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core ~4.0ghz
AMD Radeon R9 280x
8GB DDR3 RAM
Most perplexing.

noosers said:
Sounds like a 200+ game at Dwarf Fortress was fun running your rig.
Indeed. I usually like increasing the embarkation area too, I rarely have trouble running that game even after digging deep.
Next version due early July as well.  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom