Question on handling Battles

Users who are viewing this thread

hausser

Recruit
Hi again.
After some large-scale fighting, if came across the same problem again and again:

So my general aproach to battles is a big phalanx of tightly packed heavy hoplites which i command by the F-Buttons, and a small detachment of princeps that i let follow me, to guard the right flank with me and help me roll up the enemy while hes engaging my phalanx.
Which works great, ecxept if i get enveloped on my left flank or a few cav soldiers break trough and are behind my phlanx, which brings them into disorder.
So, i tried to keep my companions on horse a little in the back and told them to charge only once there were enemys behind my phalanx, but only some of them actually started to attack the cav soldiers that broke trough, while some of them tried to get trough the phalanx and join the front-rank melee.

So, any tips on how to get your other flank/rear secure while you yourself are in the midst of all the fun, cause i definetly wont do battle from behind my troops like those cowardly medes do :wink:

Hold F1 key, you will see a banner appear. And this banner represent the location where you want your soldiers to go but becareful not to place it too close from ennemies as it can be use to told your troops to attack one particular kind of ennemies. You just have to place this banner for exemple near the ennemy phalanx to told your troops to attack only infantry

The more compact the formation the less likely they will get through it but again it is easier to get flanked. The best is to hold higher ground so you have the advantage over cavalry, remember that spears have bonuses against horses. Also a side note, it is better to use the F.A.Q. topic although it isn't really a discussion topic it is still better than opening new threads for each small question.

@ Harada
Cool thx didnt knew that, thats perfect for a anti-cav rear detachment.

@ Seek and Destroy
Yeah they are not breaking through my phlanx:wink:
But they can break trough my thin line of princeps, or get around the other flank, and cause a big bunch of the phalanx to turn around, even the front rank of the not-engaged flanks, exposing their backs to enemy fire.
so i had to leave the princeps, run behind the phalanx, spear the cav, run back to the right flank on hop into the melee again.

And sorry about the posts, but i thoughed it would be easier for other people to find questions rearding those topics that way, then if they had to browse trough 50+ pages in a single thread.

Back
Top Bottom