The Balkan Floods

Users who are viewing this thread

[quote author=momcilo94]It's not the same, talking about cancer and for example saying that it doesn't matter that her mother died of cancer because people die of cancer all the time, which is what Leifr did in this topic. And there is a difference between joking around to cheer people up like you did with the Homer Simpson gif, and posting something that is saying the thread maker is just hassling everyone by posting irrelevant stuff.

As for donations you gotta ask yourself if you're donating just to make yourself feel better, or because you believe the money you send will actually make an impact, even though you don't witness it.[/quote]
Well, people die of cancer all the time, so why is it a big deal only when someone you like dies of cancer? It's not like the person in question is special or unique in any way. On the other hand, people who will never impact your life in any way might as well not exist. I probably need to spend some time thinking about this.

Damn her and her hairy wurst!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/god-punished-balkans-with-floods-for-conchita-wursts-eurovision-2014-win-says-serbian-church-leader-9419300.html

It wouldn't be the first time that Balkans get punished because of some Austrian.

But this flood looks like it's serious ****, hold fast and best wishes for you Balkan people.

I'd say I'll throw some money into the Danube as donation, but some would find it as of bad taste.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
momcilo94 said:
May I get an answer on whether the password was changed halfway through the event or not?

momcilo94 said:
...posting something that is saying the thread maker is just hassling everyone by posting irrelevant stuff.

Alas, if it were only so.
Unfortunately I only commented that we should also make a thread for the flooding in England. I suppose it would be better to take that to the weather thread though, a good grumble about rain is one of our favourite topics as Englishmen - it's probably why I am so incredibly invested in this thread.

What I asked on that topic wasn't irrelevant because I wanted to know whether the password was changed manually or if it was on my side because my internet went out. Asking for information so you can fix issues is never irrelevant. Secondly, the event has nothing to do with the floods, so stop posting off topic stuff. And no, it doesn't belong in the weather topic because people of these countries need all the financial aid they can get to get out of the crisis and posting it separately is the right choice. And no, you didn't just post to encourage making a thread on flooding in England, you ironically stated that every time a flood happens a thread shouldn't be made.

If you consider yourself to be a mature person, you would apologize for not comprehending the level of this disaster and for making a bad statement and you would remove it and I would thank you for being humane. That's what men do, they correct their mistakes. What you're doing now is not OK, but it's your right and it's your choice.

Untitled. said:
[quote author=momcilo94]It's not the same, talking about cancer and for example saying that it doesn't matter that her mother died of cancer because people die of cancer all the time, which is what Leifr did in this topic. And there is a difference between joking around to cheer people up like you did with the Homer Simpson gif, and posting something that is saying the thread maker is just hassling everyone by posting irrelevant stuff.

As for donations you gotta ask yourself if you're donating just to make yourself feel better, or because you believe the money you send will actually make an impact, even though you don't witness it.
Well, people die of cancer all the time, so why is it a big deal only when someone you like dies of cancer? It's not like the person in question is special or unique in any way. On the other hand, people who will never impact your life in any way might as well not exist. I probably need to spend some time thinking about this.
[/quote]

If you can't comprehend the pain the individual feels when loosing their loved ones and how disrespectful it is to simply disregard that by showing how one individual is unimportant in comparison to many, then you really need to do some thinking. They are not important, but they are important to them and that is what matters.

But if someone in my family dies from cancer (or flooding), am I allowed to make light of it then?

Secondly, the event has nothing to do with the floods, so stop posting off topic stuff.
This is the off-topic. We don't stay on topic. Ever.

And no, it doesn't belong in the weather topic because people of these countries need all the financial aid they can get to get out of the crisis and posting it separately is the right choice. And no, you didn't just post to encourage making a thread on flooding in England, you ironically stated that every time a flood happens a thread shouldn't be made.

If you consider yourself to be a mature person, you would apologize for not comprehending the level of this disaster and for making a bad statement and you would remove it and I would thank you for being humane. That's what men do, they correct their mistakes. What you're doing now is not OK, but it's your right and it's your choice.
I don't think you understood his post. Actually, I don't think you two are on the same level at all.

If you can't comprehend the pain the individual feels when loosing their loved ones and how disrespectful it is to simply disregard that by showing how one individual is unimportant in comparison to many, then you really need to do some thinking. They are not important, but they are important to them and that is what matters.
Both my grandmothers have died of cancer. Lots of people die of cancer. Why would my grandmothers be special in that regard?
It's not about being able to comprehend something. It isn't about intelligence. It's about assigning the same value to people who don't exist (anymore, at least). My last post also included a metaphysical line, which I think you misunderstood.

Regurgitating a post for Momcilo to look over, not that I really think it would help.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
My stepmother has never had a smoking habit and exercised pretty well - she's currently got inoperable lung cancer.

Next time, find an analogy that is applicable.
My Aunt was flooded out once; I suppose that works for you too.

Untitled. said:
It's not about being able to comprehend something. It isn't about intelligence. It's about assigning the same value to people who don't exist (anymore, at least). My last post also included a metaphysical line, which I think you misunderstood.

Comprehension doesn't have to be related with intelligence. And you don't seem to understand me, I'm not saying you need to acknowledge they're special, I'm just saying you need to show some basic level of decency, and that is not showing disrespect.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Regurgitating a post for Momcilo to look over, not that I really think it would help.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
My stepmother has never had a smoking habit and exercised pretty well - she's currently got inoperable lung cancer.

Next time, find an analogy that is applicable.
My Aunt was flooded out once; I suppose that works for you too.

I'm sorry to hear about your step mother, but how exactly are you trying to justify what you posted, by posting that? We have all experienced some form of suffering and loss of loved ones, I personally lost 5 family members that I cared about deeply in a time span of 2 months. The only difference between you and me is that I don't believe that gives me the right to act disrespectfully towards those that have lost their loved ones too.

The whole thing that started this argument is that you posted something that dismisses the current situation in these counties like it's not important, and by doing that you showed disrespect towards those who lost whole families and loved ones in these floods.

Comprehension doesn't have to be related with intelligence. And you don't seem to understand me, I'm not saying you need to acknowledge they're special, I'm just saying you need to show some basic level of decency, and that is not showing disrespect.
I'm sorry, how am I showing disrespect to anyone but you?

Untitled. said:
I'm sorry, how am I showing disrespect to anyone but you?

I'm speaking about Leifr xD

I wonder if there's a map of the flooded areas or something like that?
I know it's stupid as it sounds, but I wanted to check out if and how much some areas of Bosnia Herzegovina (that I have visited a couple of years ago) have been damaged/flooded. Most of them were hill/mountain towns, but still...the locations are Brčko, Vranduk, Travnik, Jaice, Sarajevo. 

Also, I've read that there is a lot of solidarity coming from Serbia and Croatia, both struck by the floodings as well, which are sending several men to help Bosnia Herzegovina. Great to hear that.

Allegro said:
Ahem, not meaning to sound insensitive but me and my girlfriend had made plans for a vacation in Belgrade in early July. Should we cancel it?
Definitely not, Belgrade hasn't been hit by the floods so it's perfectly safe to come here.

AWdeV said:
Leifr Eiríksson said:
England floods every year now.
Let's make a thread for it.

And you numpties still haven't installed proper defences.

We asked some Dutch guy to come over but the idiot wore clogs.

Back
Top Bottom