Thai Military Seizes Power in Coup

Users who are viewing this thread

user1324865215

Surprised I didn't see a thread on this already, but the Thai military just seized power this morning in a coup. Story Here Hopefully civil war doesn't break out, as many journalists and pundits have predicted after the outsting of Yingluck Shinawatra.

Well the PM did dissolve the lower house of government, which started the protests in the first place.
Imagined if that happened in the US. :razz:
Now there is a curfew from 22:00 to 05:00 and both sides of the protests are expected to be visited by the military.

DoctorPainkiller said:
Surprised I didn't see a thread on this already, but the Thai military just seized power this morning in a coup. Story Here Hopefully civil war doesn't break out, as many journalists and pundits have predicted after the outsting of Yingluck Shinawatra.

There's been 10 (or 12?) coups in Thailand since the end of the absolute monarchy. It's pretty much just how they change governments in the country. As far as I know they are generally bloodless, and in this situation I'm pretty sure this was done before the two protesting parties went to blows over the issue. Most of the protestors have been dispersed peacefully already. Outright civil war seems unlikely, and if it does I'd doubt it would be particularly severe.

In my opinion, say what you want, but I feel it's better for the country to have had coup to restore some order and get reforms in. The state that Thailand had been in was quite pitiful so at least now the military can restore direct order, even if it means ordering martial law and a curfew.

This is the third coup I've been through (although the first one might not count because I was 2 at the time,) and this one is definitely far more efficient than other times the military has come out. If nothing else, it is far less chaotic.

CluelessWill said:
In my opinion, say what you want, but I feel it's better for the country to have had coup to restore some order and get reforms in. The state that Thailand had been in was quite pitiful so at least now the military can restore direct order, even if it means ordering martial law and a curfew.

Army tards in any country are never responsible for restoring order. Armies were made to fight wars not to rule countries.  :mad:

A government that came to power by elections should only be removed from power by elections.
Otherwise the country enters an endless cascade of coups and elections.

nomad1414 said:
A government that came to power by elections should only be removed from power by elections.
I agree with that. Think it was the defensive line in Nuremberg Trials

nomad1414 said:
CluelessWill said:

Army tards in any country are never responsible for restoring order. Armies were made to fight wars not to rule countries.  :mad:

Otherwise the country enters an endless cascade of coups and elections.

...How would that be possible? The PM disbanded the entire lower house?

Just a small update, only as far as I'm allowed to say. The army split up those they "invite" into three groups. There is the civil servants, being placed at the Army Sports Club. There is the government officials (ministers and such) at an army base. And lastly, there is the protestors, of both sides, at an undisclosed location.

"Thai Military Declares Coup d'État: Thailand on the Brink" -Vice News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ANhBGw22w

Funny story. My father was arrested quite a few nights ago along with many red shirt leaders at the site of the protest. However, for some reason, this information was not given to the army people in the south so they're telling my father, via the media such as radio, to come and report himself. He obviously can't do that because he's already being held somewhere by the army! (their location is undisclosed, but we have been allowed to send him his medcine.)

Back
Top Bottom