Is there a fix for polished landscapes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hidole555

Sergeant at Arms
Edit: Scroll down a bit. I think I kind of have something.

I feel like I've tried every fix I could find but I still have this graphical glitch where trees are half normal and half birch and another where the leaves are contorted in awkward shapes.

Half-and-half tree
AE8494F288F216FC4872567652CAFB0DAC5E1DF3

Wonky leaves
BE3AE56D30753D0FC82EAF35CBB3D4C5E692586D

The half and half tree is an issue with a polished landscapes texture. You could fix it by assigning the offending tree trunks a new texture, if you're up for it.

Fixing the horrendous leaves is easier, and it's frustrating when modders don't fix it themselves because it's a ten minute job.
Download openbrf, and then replace the trees listed below with ones that actually work (via renaming):
jacobhinds said:
@phlpp: the offending trees are:

from xtree_meshes_c,
tree_18_a
tree_18_b

from xtree_meshes,
tall_tree_a
tree_1_a
tree_1_b
tree_4_a
tree_4_b

from xtree_meshes_b,
beech_d
beech_e
tree_9_a
tree_9_b
tree_9_c

zapping those trees and replacing might not solve the collision issues, but i assume all the trees are logically paired up with their collision meshes name-wise.

Polished landscapes was originally done for the original m&b, but then it was ported to in a haphazard fashion and confusion ensued.

jacobhinds said:
The half and half tree is an issue with a polished landscapes texture. You could fix it by assigning the offending tree trunks a new texture, if you're up for it.

I'm willing, I just don't know how.  :cry:

jacobhinds said:
Fixing the horrendous leaves is easier, and it's frustrating when modders don't fix it themselves because it's a ten minute job.
Download openbrf, and then replace the trees listed below with ones that actually work (via renaming):
jacobhinds said:
@phlpp: the offending trees are:

from xtree_meshes_c,
tree_18_a
tree_18_b

from xtree_meshes,
tall_tree_a
tree_1_a
tree_1_b
tree_4_a
tree_4_b

from xtree_meshes_b,
beech_d
beech_e
tree_9_a
tree_9_b
tree_9_c

zapping those trees and replacing might not solve the collision issues, but i assume all the trees are logically paired up with their collision meshes name-wise.

K, doing this right now.

While poking around xtree_meshes.brf I found the half-birch trees that were causing my immersion so much grief.

tree_plane_a, tree_plane_b, tree_plane_c, and plane_d.9

I'm thinking of just removing the little rascals entirely instead of trying to fix them.

I also took the liberty of deleting the collision from the skeletons (tree_7_a, b, and c) because they were in the shape of actual trees. so THAT'S why I couldn't jump over them!

edit: wow there's a LOT of things where the collision doesn't match up with the mesh. aspen_a, b, and c. tree_1_a and b.

Okay new roadblock.

Even if you delete all the offending trees in the Brytenwalda resource folder, there will still be half-and-half trees in the game, and that is BECAUSE Brytenwalda uses trees not only from its own resource packs but also trees from the tree_f.brf from the CommonRes folder and I really don't know jack about texturing/modding so I'd rather not touch anything outside of the Brytenwalda folder.

It seems like the three main tree textures are bark, bark_b, and bark_c.

The thin trees like tree_16_b and tree_17_a use only one part of the bark texture no problem, but when fatter trees from CommonRes use it both parts of the texture show up. This also happens with fat trees that use bark_b but it's not nearly as drastic or noticeable as trees that use bark.

I really REALLY wish someone with way more experience than me could look at this and work up a solution. I hate how if I want Polished Landscapes for Brytenwalda I have to cope with these dumb mutant trees!  :mad:

They used tree_plane...? Wow, thats...I've had nightmares about that tree. It's disgusting.

Regarding the bark, you could find the offending tree trunks and direct them to a new material by typing into the bar near the top.  (openbrf is very straightforward). The (relatively) hard part is creating a material and texture.
But you could fairly easily copy the  old material, name it something else, and then paste it into one of the openbrf files in the brytenwalda folder. Then it'd just be a case of finding a bark texture on the internet, making a quick and easy normalmap (you can do it online if you search,) and making sure the material, textures and model are using the right names. You'd also have to put the new textures into the textures folder of your mod - in dds format (use paint.net for this).

There are a slew of tutorials that coukd explain it better than me:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,171.0.html

thing is, if i'm not mistaken, those offending tree trunks are in CommonRes, meaning by changing them, I'd be changing them for other mods as well, including ones that don't use polished landscapes. that, along with the zero experience I have with this sort of thing, is why I don't want to touch it.

While playing another mod I really like yesterday, I found that because it also uses polished landscapes it has the same problem as well. now i'm just depressed...

you can solve this. copy the problem commonres file into the resource folder of the mod. then go into module.ini in the mod folder (use notepad if it asks for a file format) and then add the line:

load_mod_resource = awful_trees

or whatever that file is called. be sure to put it after the lines "load_resource = materials".
you can now edit the new resource file as much as you want and it won't affect any other mods.

With college over I finally had some time on my hands so I decided to take a day to tackle some of those damned mutant trees. After some testing, I've finally managed to produce a limited test "patch" to alleviate some of the problems.

It's limited in that it only affects the trees from tree_f.brf. Other objects such as tree stumps will still look odd until I or another person focus on them.

Download here: https://mega.co.nz/#!rdpVnTqI!NT1y_OZ5tIL5s_-vZKy78wUtFCHVfFB8jatv_PtQVYM
Simply extract you your Brytenwalda folder.

Feedback would be very much appreciated as this was done by a blind newbie. When it comes to modding this is the first thing I've ever done. Ever. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a much easier way to do this and I just happened to do it one of the most brute force ways possible.

How to quickly see the effect of this patch:

Before you install

Make a new character as a Briton. Choose Alt Clut as your starting town. When the brigand attacks you in the streets there will be a tree from tree_f behind you. Without a patch, it should be a half-birch, half-normal mutant tree.

After you install

Do the same thing. Now the tree behind you should not have any birch features (although it is a bit blurry)

If you don't want to overwrite your module.ini then change the following lines in it

load_resource = textures
load_resource = materials
load_resource = tree_f

to

load_mod_resource = textures
load_mod_resource = materials
load_mod_resource = tree_f

Success! I have expanded my little patch to include stumps and other trees. I can almost guarantee you won't see a mix-matched trunk or wonky leaves again. If you choose to use it, I recommend also getting vidamir's Tree Updates along with it. It should be compatible.

Get my patch here: https://mega.co.nz/#!XIoBzI6T!73r1mnTJasIo1CXd_2t8FHTKOcvd150MywJiKWDfwfU

All I have left is one (well, maybe two) final nitpick(s) with polished landscapes, and that is with some trees outside the map in various scenes.

There's this where it looks like trees turned sideways and are just floating in midair. Blergh.
You can view it easily by going to Inspect Camp near Alt Clut and walking around the edge a bit.

5BBB85161A9A49FC02DBBEBB6B4855B543EF654C

And then there's this where it just looks weird how the left side has a completely flat edge while the other side is leafy and nice.
You can view it easily by going to Lundenwic, choosing to walk around the streets, and turn around. These freaky things are right outside the main gate!

543236A3CE492D1D2E1B20E76D555CAFFF9BF1B4

I'm not sure what I can do to do something about them though. So I guess I'll just have to live with it I suppose. I mean sure, it looks wonky but at least it's outside the map and isn't as egregious as those half-and-half tree trunks.

I think you're talking about vidimir's Tree Updates: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,270940.0.html.

For best effect I'd suggest using this in conjunction with his fix as my fix does not take care of the snowy bushes in normal areas.

EDIT: Also an update on my quest to do something about the weird trees outside the maps of various places like Lundenwic. I've managed to find the file they're based in. Trees.dds. Who would've thought?

EDIT 2: I settled for a pretty lazy fix. Basically it makes background trees use the trees.dds from Native instead of Brytenwalda.

It turns this

5BBB85161A9A49FC02DBBEBB6B4855B543EF654C

into this

952A152F4902281C7E8E9253027C1915AB90AB38

Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!GUJgTaxR!Ejl6R6bl2OruOagcYoteTgJd5mi4wq4V7gUDArk0NKI
Overwrite if it asks you to.

If you decide to get this make sure you install it after the other patch I made. I'll make a version that doesn't need my patch eventually.

Edit 3: Alright. I'm confident enough to merge the two patches into one. Check it out at this thread here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,309019.0.html

Back
Top Bottom