Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 6 - Astounding Squirms

Users who are viewing this thread

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;" lang="en-GB">Players of Mount&Blade, idle passers and intrigued discoverers, Happy Friday to all. This little blog is about our progress making the game Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord. It doesn't cover everything we do but it tells you a little bit here and there which some may find of interest. “Never make a 6th album”, say the cynics. “Stop after the successful 5th!” - hogwash, we'll continue this blog until the sun rises in the west and sets in the east... or maybe just while we're working on Bannerlord.</p></br> Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/7

hey guys just wanted to say that i loved your previous games. I just wanted to say that it could be very good if you make the horses bigger in bannerlord because in warband, exept war horses,the horses look realy little so making them bigger and more impressive and intimidating and i think it will improve the atmosphere of the game like waiting for battle and you see knight on big horses charging would be epic :grin:,and make like a horn sound for each orders like 3 times for charging , 2 for stand ground ect it will be very immersive :mrgreen:

ps:excuse my english im french  :wink:

Ok, 2 months are enough time to deal with the new blog. It really can't be that hard, to write some lines on their plannings.

So PLEASE Taleworlds, it doesn't have to be another blog entry, just a few pieces of information :sad:
Lets start a petition  :lol:

I hope it's okay to say it here, as I've seen other people saying what they want, and it would be a nice break from all the complaints, but anyway. I would really like to see family matter more. Maybe I'm just oblivious to it, but when I marry a lord or a lady, I don't seem to get anything out of it, except a bit of right to rule or a husband. The AI doesn't seem to care about its other AI family too much, either, which seems pretty strange to me. I can understand a few familial feuds, but those should be the exception, not the norm, and even then, at least family would matter.
The other big thing I want is for increasing standing in the realm actually to do anything. Again, maybe it does, but I don't notice it.

Guys, you're speaking as though taleworlds is 5 guys in a basement. Mount and blade had TREMENDOUS success, so they certainly have the funds/manpower to advertise and at least make blogs more frequently than once every three bloody months.
Look at a REAL indie studio, with no very little funds and manpower - they can STILL advertise and keep their audience updated on the progress of the game.
Honestly, i think taleworlds is just being lazy.

If skiving on 10 minutes' work in favour of actual game development is laziness then... :neutral:
My guess is that they've hit a block somewhere in development and are hesitant to show any more. It sometimes happens that a game dev team is on the fence about whether to rebuild the engine or not.

jacobhinds said:
It sometimes happens that a game dev team is on the fence about whether to rebuild the engine or not.
They made that decision a long time ago.

MerlinTheHappyPig said:
Look at a REAL indie studio, with no very little funds and manpower - they can STILL advertise and keep their audience updated on the progress of the game.
Oh, you mean the guys who provide a constant stream of content to assure people they're still at it because if the money stops trickling in they'll starve? The guys that post a couple screencaps of modeling/texture work once or twice a week because if they don't keep getting support they'll have to suspend the project until they can handle the financial burden again? I respect those guys for doing what they love and pursuing their passion, but they're not successful developers yet. They need to keep drumming up interest because that pays the bills.

Then again, that's just the "real indie studio" you describe. I can think of some other indie studios that aren't understaffed and aren't underfunded, like Uber Entertainment and Cloud Imperium Games. Indie just means without a publisher, it doesn't necessarily mean you're working out of a basement, and not all developers (indie or otherwise) actively publicize their development process.

Back to that first quote, the decision TaleWorlds made was to rewrite the engine. You wanna know another series that underwent a major engine rewrite between installments? TES. Oblivion and Skyrim were released over five and a half years apart. Skyrim was released in November of 2011. How much advertising for Skyrim did you see before December of 2010? Here's a hint: the announcement trailer was released in December of 2010. They made their announcement after most of the work was already done. The difference here is that BethSoft had something to show about Skyrim because it had been in the works for several years before it was announced, whereas TaleWorlds made their announcement much earlier in Bannerlord's development.

Not to mention that the community itself (talking from the POV of the people who have been with this series very early on) have already been dog-pilling and climbing over themselves gossiping about M&B 2 since Warband was released in 09. Whoever was here long ago already know there will be a second installment. It'll just take forever for them to get it through the pipelines (like they did for the original).

Orion said:
Then again, that's just the "real indie studio" you describe. I can think of some other indie studios that aren't understaffed and aren't underfunded, like Uber Entertainment. Indie just means without a publisher, it doesn't necessarily mean you're working out of a basement, and not all developers (indie or otherwise) actively publicize their development process.
To be fair, the other end of the spectrum lies large independent studios like Larian and Obsidian. Trusted veterans of the industry who do actually have the experience of managing an AAA level project (along with the marketing that comes with it).

So it's quite unfair for people (based on some of the post I have seen in this thread) to in one post criticize that TW is not actively camwhoring everything like smaller indie studios, then shifting the goal post to claim that they are not as good as marketing as AAA level independent studios who got their games kickstarted in the next. And as I said in another post, we're not investors in this product, nor shareholders ala kickstarter. We're just people who buy the product when it's ready to be sold. Any and all news, hype or the lack of both elements is completely up to TW and no amount of whinging will help your self entitlement come true (not directed at Orion of course).

Orion said:
jacobhinds said:
It sometimes happens that a game dev team is on the fence about whether to rebuild the engine or not.
They made that decision a long time ago.

I meant that (heaven forbid), they might have had to go back a few steps and change the way the bannerlord engine functioned due to one issue or another. It's happened with a few games I've followed where the early pre-alpha screenshots are pretty clearly on a completely different engine to the final release. Taleworlds probably wouldn't let it get that extreme, but it's a possibility.

Cookie Eating Huskarl said:
Not to mention that the community itself (talking from the POV of the people who have been with this series very early on) have already been dog-pilling and climbing over themselves gossiping about M&B 2 since Warband was released in 09. Whoever was here long ago already know there will be a second installment. It'll just take forever for them to get it through the pipelines (like they did for the original).
Correct. I've been here since 2005, and it will take quite a bit more than a few months of silence for me to grow uneasy about Bannerlord. TaleWorlds has a history of playing it close to the vest.

To be fair, the other end of the spectrum lies large independent studios like Larian and Obsidian. Trusted veterans of the industry who do actually have the experience of managing an AAA level project (along with the marketing that comes with it). So it's quite unfair to in one post criticize that TW is not actively camwhoring everything like smaller indie studios, then shifting the goal post to claim that they are not as good as marketing as AAA level independent studios who got their games kickstarted in the next.
I wasn't trying to shift any goal posts. I was trying to point out that different indie studios have different capabilities, resources, and styles. Expecting one studio to behave like another because they're both independent is foolish. The "real indie studios" that Merlin talks about have, in his words, "very little funds and manpower," and I was just saying that this isn't true of all indie studios.

jacobhinds said:
I meant that (heaven forbid), they might have had to go back a few steps and change the way the bannerlord engine functioned due to one issue or another. It's happened with a few games I've followed where the early pre-alpha screenshots are pretty clearly on a completely different engine to the final release. Taleworlds probably wouldn't let it get that extreme, but it's a possibility.
Sorry, it wasn't clear to me. You're certainly right that they could be experiencing issues like you describe. As the disclaimer goes, it's all subject to change.

Orion said:
To be fair, the other end of the spectrum lies large independent studios like Larian and Obsidian. Trusted veterans of the industry who do actually have the experience of managing an AAA level project (along with the marketing that comes with it). So it's quite unfair to in one post criticize that TW is not actively camwhoring everything like smaller indie studios, then shifting the goal post to claim that they are not as good as marketing as AAA level independent studios who got their games kickstarted in the next.
I wasn't trying to shift any goal posts. I was trying to point out that different indie studios have different capabilities, resources, and styles. Expecting one studio to behave like another because they're both independent is foolish. The "real indie studios" that Merlin talks about have, in his words, "very little funds and manpower," and I was just saying that this isn't true of all indie studios.
Forgot to put a horizontal line somewhere between the sentences. It's suppose to continue your point of view and cover the possibility that they start attacking TW on the basis of TW not being a Larian/Obsidian who just got multiple million dollars from kickstarter campaigns, and thus are more than happy to provide you (the backer who just tossed millions its way) regular updates. Sorry about that. Fixed the last post for it to look less like I'm calling you out for a hot steamy date in a sauna with a banana phone.

Hate to post something completely unrelated to the current topic, but if you guys did speculate on a release date, what do you think it'd be?

I mean, I was thinking Bannerlord would be out late this year, or early next, and from the look of it I'm not sure that's gonna happen. I wonder if by the time it hits shelves it'll already be outdated (a depressing thought).

What do you think, fellow patient players?

Stravask said:
Hate to post something completely unrelated to the current topic, but if you guys did speculate on a release date, what do you think it'd be?

I mean, I was thinking Bannerlord would be out late this year, or early next, and from the look of it I'm not sure that's gonna happen. I wonder if by the time it hits shelves it'll already be outdated (a depressing thought).

hmm i wish it would release late this year :smile: who knows? We dont really know. They
might be almost finish or not even close.

pellehard said:
Stravask said:

hmm i wish it would release late this year :smile: who knows? We dont really know. They
might be almost finish or not even close.

Well see when Warband showed up I was thinking a sequel made sense roughly 4-5 years from then, but I mean.. we're mid-2014 and the biggest news we've got is "hey guys we've got animated faces now".

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they should flood us with information or anything, it's just from the look of it we're going to see a game in 3-4 more years that feels and looks old.

For perspective, AC: Brotherhood, CoD: Black Ops, and Resident Evil 5 all came out in 2010, same year as Warband. And Warband released only 2 years after M&B original released.
I'd just like to see a game that looks like and performs like a game released in the year it is, not one that looks like and plays like a game released 3 years before it actually is.

Stravask said:

Meh, forget about this year. It's still a matter of a whole year or two in my opinion judging by the progression so far. I don't fear about an 'outdated' possible effect tied to a delayed developpment, however it may happens in matters of graphics: but as long as the gameplay, the modability and so on are there, the game has no attrition to suffer in its developpment to me. What I fear the most is a mere relooking and upgrade of the basic Warband contents. I'm still confident at this point but, to stick close to the former debate, a bit more information about new features and planned content would be nice though.

Stravask said:

It's impossible and quite pointless to speculate on release dates. Because even if you're in the development studio itself, you can't tell how long it will take each individual to do his/her work, how many problems will arise that completely halt development, and how long it will take before the directors are fully satisfied with everything to begin polishing it up. It's even less predictable than a film in that respect.

It's worse that we're outside the development studio because we've been given a few cautious snippets, and for all we know, they could be heavily photoshopped and rendered on blender in a week. That's an extreme example, but they're not exactly going to show us a bunch of unfinished models with bad rigging. So we're just guessing based on a few images that could have been completed at any point in the development cycle. The game looks "finished" to us, but behind the scenes it's most likely an unstable, unplayable mess that hardly resembles a game. I think they even mentioned that.

Stravask said:
I'd just like to see a game that looks like and performs like a game released in the year it is, not one that looks like and plays like a game released 3 years before it actually is.

You can't really compare AAA studios to a single 30-40 person team in turkey. AC and other such titles actually have similar development times, but they might have 3-4 teams working on the next games in the series. That's why people complain about such franchises taking so long to move on from tired old conventions; the games you're seeing were developed almost 5 years ago. The AAA games of 2018 are being developed right now.

frikken ninjas.

Back
Top Bottom