Bellum Imperii: Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

can you make a thread or update the information with the new factions with pictures of troops etc?

The ability to fight ambush battles would be pretty cool if you ask me. Wasn't there a feature in Brytenwalda that let you set up ambushes etc? If it's already in game then excuse my derpiness.

Hey I would just like to suggest some features that would make Bellum Imperii in my opinion the best mod by far on ModDB. Many of these features have already been added into other mods and would simply need to be scavenged from them but some of these features would take a great amount of work.

1. Population for Cities and Towns.
Without a population for Cities and Towns there's not really any immersion in the game at all, at least for me. When you burn down the same village twenty times to only have it pop up again with infinite towns people it gets repetitive. Populations force the AI and the player to respond to any enemy incursions that threaten their civilian farmers. As of now, there's not really any reason to protect farmers or to not send barely trained recruits into suicidal charges since you can easily get more. With a population all units will seem special and have a purpose to play in the game.

This suggestion has already been implemented and can be scavenged from the "Sword of Damocles: Warlords" mod by Computica. Doing so will minimize effort involved to implement this feature into the game. I am not sure, however, whether or not he has the populations view-able by the player to see how his realm is faring in regards to civilians and other peoples. If not, a census taker should be added to the courts of kings and lords, under the payroll of said king/lord, in order to figure the exact number of peoples within the kingdom and in each city/town. (An added bonus to this feature would be to have sub-populations that state the exact number of people in a certain religion and of a certain ethnicity but that would probably take an unreasonable amount of work)

I would also like to suggest that in order to stop mass genocides from happening every game, have the starting population for the entire world at around 500,000 or so and allow the populations to "reproduce" increasing their numbers by perhaps .01% every day/week cycle.

2. Randomly Generated NPC's. (Also kill-able lords)
Randomly Generated NPC's, like population for cities and towns, would add more immersion to this mod. I know that perhaps this suggestion would be very difficult but could possibly be one of the best features in any mod period. The main problem with M&B warband vanilla, and the reason that people seek out mods after beating the game is that there is nothing to do. Nothing in the world changes and the player themselves despite conquering the whole world has no power to change the world that they inhabit. With Randomly Generated NPC's the world is ever changing and can be thrown into upheaval at any moment. These Randomly Generated NPC's would be either adventurers like the player without a liege trying to gain troops, or possibly a replacement for a lord who had fallen in battle. This would make the world ever changing and always interesting to the player.

I am sure that there are multiple mods that allow the recruitment of Lords and other things which would apply to this idea of Randomly Generated NPC's but I'm not sure if any one mod has the full fleshed out version of this suggestion.

The Randomly Generated NPC's should only seep into the world very slowly with around 1-2 new NPC(s) every in-game week to keep some manner of stability in the world. They should have their own page in the "Notes" section of the menu but this page would only state their age, and perhaps liege if applicable. In addition, this principle of Randomly Generated NPC's could be applied to children that are born by lords and ladies as well as the player and his/her wife/husband which leads me to my next suggestions.

3. Ageing for Lords and other NPC's. (Also kill-able lords)(Again)
As the name suggest Ageing for Lords and Other NPC's allows NPC's to age. The static world of M&B Warband has seemingly immortal NPC's that never die or age. This suggestion would fix that by: 1. Allowing Lords to age 1 real life year every in-game "Month" and 2. Allow children to be born to players and their wives/husbands and have them grow. I will now explain both sub-suggestions more in-depth. Allowing lords to age 1 year every in-game month allows them to grow and mature over time without forcing the player to wait for ages of real time to have his daughter or his son come of age. The feature of making their lifespans shorter also creates a sense of urgency for a player to choose their allies wisely. Any NPC over the age of 70 would have his health deteriorate until he died at around 76 of old age. That being said, few NPC's will ever live to this age as they will die in battle most likely far before they die of old age. NPC's would obviously have to be made less aggressive to keep from hordes of NPC's being killed of in battle all the time. They would also likely have to have the chance of being killed in battle at around 1-10%, fitting with realistic standards of heavily armored lords rarely dying in battle.

The second sub-suggestion of allowing children to be born the player has already been implemented into mods before such as one of the two mods based on Game of Thrones. However, in this aforementioned Game of Thrones mod the child does not age and therefore is essentially meaningless. In this suggestion children are not meaningless at all. After being born they would age like other lords and have their own randomly generated traits similar to the player that would grow over time. A child could be born with great strength or great weapon proficiency in crossbows and after coming of age would fight for and with his father. For the player the child would simply be a great warrior to fight along side him with his other soldiers in his army or if a women would be married off to form alliances but for an NPC his child would be far more. If the father was killed in battle his eldest son would inherit his estates and if he had no sons his estate would go to a randomly generated NPC within the faction he belonged to who had no estates to his name. If while the Noble is alive and he has daughters he can marry them off to form alliances similar to the player.

I know you had some problems with losing some of your data for this mod.  Have you been able to recover anything and do you intend to continue with this mod or is it deceased?  It had a lot of potential and I would hate to see it die a young death.

So far I have three suggestions:

1. rethink making Romans christian. It's not era of Constantine and even then christians did not have such influence like in this mod.

2. greatly reduce party speed. Right now small parties are insanely fast.

3. return to standard "eating" speed. Right now my small party is eating so fast that I can't focus on anything else. Actually I'm afraid I'll run out of money soon because of this.

So, after I spent nearly 400 days ingame, i figured out a few things, that needs to be improved.

1. AI doesn't go on campaign if the factions doesn't share any border. (I joined Roman Empire and we're at war against the Frisii since the beginning, and there wasn't a single battle between us, except the couple of battles, I did. And campaigns get canceled after 1-2 days. Always.)

I thought it might be something with the faction, so I started a new game with Roman Illyricum. We went to campaigns against Dacia and Markomanii, but when only Roman Hispania left as an enemy, they never went on a campaign again.

2. The damage of some weapons needs to be improved greatly. Beilieve me, there is no man in the world, who survives 2 headshots from a heavy pilum.(I had around 200 points on throwing and a Power Throw of 5). Also, bows should be improved a little bit as well. I mean, currently, I can charge towards enemy archers, without using my shield(playing with normal damage and using a Legionaire-Armor), and taking only 1-2 damage per hit. Now, the Lorica Hamata was really not suitable against arrows(I did roman re-enacting for 10 years, we tested this many times).

3. Roman factions could be a bit more helpfull or friendly towards each other. Currently every single game i start ends with "civil war" and it's usually between factions who are at 2 different egdes of the map, and so they basically don't do anything, except doing feasts.

4. As mentioned by someone else, parties eat enornmous ammounts. I had my inventory full of food, went against the Frisii with my 120 men(which seems to be more than enough to defeat their whole army on the field) and we ran out of food after a week or so and foraging doesn't really seem to help against it.

5. I don't see higher level legionaires throwing pila. However it was part of the equipment of a legionaire.

6. I miss the auxiliary infantry-troops.(It's good to have some good cavalry for Rome, tho)

This mod seems..ok...
you should work on a nicer map. mapicons and many textures fom polished are still broken. the are fixes,  packs and it is easy to do own stuff. Then i dislike how small the party icons are on the map.
You have to zoom in much and there is to much space on the map between evetything even trees... sry, i had to stop playing it because it felt not finished in many ways... i like most scenes and the troop/ unit textures.

Map is too big, it's madness. No one could really play this mod, 95% of game is traveling. If you are in england and someone is attacking your town in Italy your travel to home is pain in the ass, something about 6/7 MINUTES of traveling. In two hour of gaming, i spend all the time with my phone, waiting to reach a town or an ally.

It's not funny traveling for 15 minutes every 3 minutes of REAL gaming.

This is the ONLY real problem of your mod, but your not alone. All the new mods have this problem, they think "bigger is better" but it's not work like that. This is not a Total War game.

Your mod is very good, but it's unplayable without cheats. Hope you really create a 10 times smaller map because waiting is the worst thing if you are a player. I will not play anymore at this rom.

whirring said:
Map is too big, it's madness. No one could really play this mod, 95% of game is traveling. If you are in england and someone is attacking your town in Italy your travel to home is pain in the ass, something about 6/7 MINUTES of traveling. In two hour of gaming, i spend all the time with my phone, waiting to reach a town or an ally.

It's not funny traveling for 15 minutes every 3 minutes of REAL gaming.

This is the ONLY real problem of your mod, but your not alone. All the new mods have this problem, they think "bigger is better" but it's not work like that. This is not a Total War game.

Your mod is very good, but it's unplayable without cheats. Hope you really create a 10 times smaller map because waiting is the worst thing if you are a player. I will not play anymore at this rom.
Ctrl+Space while traveling on the map

These are small things that should be added to the mod:
Roads - fix bridges and make them usable. Give to roman roads 40% speed boost modifier, barbaric 20%, for other civilizations 30%.
Make caravans, patrols, armies etc. travel through roads, but not looters, bandits etc. Make better road system for roman empire.
Make that you only will be able to use ships when you own a ship and from port, and remove that feature where they act as bridges.
Make ferries near the some straits (near Byzantium, between Sicily and Italy etc.) make them quite cheap.  Put a feature that lets you
rent ships, you won't be able to control them yourself but AI would control the ship and will bring to your selected city( that would make travelling much faster).
Trees - at that time there were much more trees especially in barbaric regions, so add a lot of trees and palms in desert.
in different biomes should be different trees ( in desert palms, in north conifers).
Bandits - make more types and more common, plus make their hideouts  more common.
Pre - battle orders - add them.
Make some small locations that you could explore for xp like in clash of kings mod.
That is all for now, I will post more suggestions.

For 1.4.

-  Sarmatians should have kontos a 2-hand,  long, 2.4 meter  spear.
-  Sarmatian armor should be stronger 14 toroso + 12 legs armor is not enough for metal armour

Back
Top Bottom