Rome at War: Suggestions/bugs

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm not too keen on adding 300 B.C. to the mod's name, I'm afraid I might fatally facepalm if someone answers me that it is using the 300 version of the mod. I'd rather go with the format "Name + Version", the shortest name, the better.

Yet you wanted "Ancient Wars of the Mediterranean", oh dear. I talked with Joub about why you chose 300 B.C. as the starting year for the single player (and the mod setting) instead of some year that had historical significance. It appears there was no particular reason for that date other than the rounded number. Seek n Destroy, are you averse to any numbers in the mod name or is it mostly due to an unwanted 300 (Spartan) reference?

No it's mostly to avoid any confusion between version and name and now that you mention it, that awful movie  :roll:
Really people surprise me with the silly questions so I'd rather avoid numbers in the mod's name not that I have anything against numbers in mod names but in my opinion 1257 Anno Domini is more fitting that 300 Before Common Era especially if this date marks the birth of a character that does not have anything to do with the mod. 453 Ab Urbe Condita makes more sense but is harder to remember so I'd rather avoid numbers. That's my opinion anyway.

I agree about the inconsistency in using B.C., but then again, using an English name for a mod that has nothing to do with (modern) England is also inconsistent. English is the lingua franca and Before Christ/Anno Domini or other Christian derived terms are the most used for the measurement of years. I'd not oppose a historical name in a contemporary language (Ancient Greek or Latin for example), but I don't know if that is good for PR.

EDIT:
How about simply "Ancient Wars"?

Exactly, hence why I thought Vae Victis would be the most fitting so far being both simple and short, I also thought of Campus Martius instead of Fields of Mars but I can already sense it being misspelled all the time and I don't quite like the sound of it. With "Wars something", "Ancient Wars", "Iron Age", etc... I get the feeling of something really spread out, like most of the Fantasy mods that mash cultures together with no care about history and all, sounds like something that cold be anything from  ~2000 B.C. to ~500 A.D. True that Vae Victis takes you back in 390 B.C. but for me it's the point where Rome received a mild kick in bottom and took action to make sure it wouldn't happen again any time soon, the tilt that marked the beginning of the expansion.

I was putting Vae Victis in the historical context, the meaning of the words themselves, woe to the vanquished fit well for a War themed game alike the Command and Conquer, Total War, etc... series. Hegemonia is a cool name too but I'm afraid it's taken.

Alix_VaeVictis_WEB.jpg

guys!!! I'm missing a great debate in here!  :grin:

I think that Seek's suggestions and thoughts totally explain how it goes, so sad about that. However excluding the 300 b.C.  because of the Spartans of Frank Miller, is not the main reason... I mean if this is an hellenistic age set mod the Christian chronology doesn't sound really out of place?

Dansk viking said:
I thought one of the main reasons for the name change was to move away from the focus on Romans (since the mod itself has already done this).

and Vae Victis was the worst nightmare for the New Republic. ever heard about Capitolium Ducks? Romans suffered so long for Gallic raiders that they had to create the myth of Furio Camillo's words Non auro, sed ferro, recuperanda est patria
in conclusion the name refers to a Roman bloody defeat and not their splendour which can emphasize the role of foreign nations around Her.

How cannot be the focus on the Romans, it's clearly impossible. in my opinion these names lack of incisiviness and cogency since Iron age reminds me more of Shadow in the deserts, Anticato paleolithic age... Vae Victis doesn't make the leap against Rome at War. at the first sight Rome at War inspires the very first time of a polis, a italic city state that's reaching the clash of hid destiny: Rule the World. and this is just his first steps. DAT POETRY :lol:

RaW is a wonderful fresco of the great civilizations who tried to resist or fought till their death with a City blessed by the Gods and ruled by the best constitution of the ancient times. Polibius approves in addition. Greeks were on their unconscious sunset. 300 followers this is not your mod. ramses egyptian and fictional civilization  fans abstain. this an historical effort not Hollywood or romance bull****.

Seek n Destroy said:
I was putting Vae Victis in the historical context, the meaning of the words themselves, woe to the vanquished fit well for a War themed game alike the Command and Conquer, Total War, etc... series. Hegemonia is a cool name too but I'm afraid it's taken.

Hegemonia would be the best but reminds me more of Themistocles or Pelopennesian wars than a full Mediterranean mod.

The ad hominem was a bit unnecessary, Dansk viking did raise some valid points, we have been arguing this stuff among ourselves for long without reaching any conclusion, it's mostly to the point were it's not about choosing the best but the least bad. Rome at War is already the name of a game, a book and who knows what else and we've grown a bit tired of the name. Sure it's amusing that the Acronym read backwards is WaR but that's it. For sure there was a lot going on in 300 B.C., the war among Alexander's successors, growing tension between the Romans and Samnites, Celtic peak expansion, Agathocles planning to invade Carthage once again, etc... All we need is a few set words to illustrate that. I'd like to avoid dates and the word bello/war in the name.

Edit: Europa Graecorum, totally not a reference towards Europa Barbarorum.

Seek n Destroy said:
Celtic peak expansion
Celts at War, then  :lol:?
On a more serious note, I do like "Vae Victis" the most of them, although the expansion for Europa Universalis:Rome was called Vae Victis.

i would suggest something concerning the multiplayer,what about a group of players teaming up to fight their way into palace or shrine through horde of bots,these bot would be holded in lets say three stages of defence,would be cool imho,player could also capture these points by activating some object,if anybody played Star wars movie battles ,will know what i mean

LMAO when entering the custom battle, guys you really are Genius! :lol:

seems that Siracusan aren't yet available  on the custom battle, minor bug or do you plan to add some of your scenes  to make it playable?  :wink:

I fund a bug in a castle near Pharssala (dont remeber the name sorry) wanted to realese a prisoner and this was imposible because it was sendinding me to a mill  and not to dungeon.
How can i fix this?
P.S. i voted the latin name i like the latin names a lot.

Back
Top Bottom