PREVIOUS EVENT: Dněprŭ (May 18th)

Users who are viewing this thread

hrotha

Grandmaster Knight
sfbV3Qo.png
7dzKy50.png

jcq8DB5.png

"There shall be great thunder, there shall be rain with arrows from the great Dnieper.
The grass bends in sorrow, and the tree is bowed down to earth by woe."

Not long after our Kĭnyazĭ Svyatoslavŭ died, enmity arose among his sons and war ravaged the land of the Rusĭ, but one was killed, and only Yaropŭlkŭ and Volodiměrŭ live still. They both worship Perunŭ, but Volodiměrŭ is fierce in his devotion to the thunder-god, while Yaropŭlkŭ is a friend to the Christians: he married a Greek nun and exchanges emissaries with the Pope in Rome. Some say he will be baptized, like his grandmother Olĭga before him. The Christian Rusĭ hope for a better future, but the Pagans fear for their ancient customs.

The annals will speak of the princes and the great battles, and lesser deeds will be forgotten, but the many fights and raids are not any less heroic, or terrible, and their causes not any less intricate. For at the heart of the Dněprŭ, since the Varyazi first sailed down the river to trade, but also to take the land from the Sěveryani, two families of different stock and creed have held a bitter hatred for each other.

Let the princes fight their war; today, they give these two families reason to finally march into open battle. The Christian boyar Miromirŭ Bogovidichĭ has chosen to side with Yaropŭlkŭ to defend his faith, but the Pagan Voislavŭ Igorevichĭ fights for Volodiměrŭ and the old religion; and in their eyes, both go to war seeking revenge. But allegiances are rarely so clear-cut in times of war, and while these feuding boyars may say "Christians" and "Pagans" to refer to the other side, men of both faiths serve under each of them, sometimes uneasily.

The fortified town of Dubogradŭ, home to Miromirŭ, holds the key to this small chapter of the war, and Voislavŭ sets out with his allies to take it and to settle old scores. But the folk and friends of Dubogradŭ come out to meet him on the battlefield...

A4kh4wm.png

S3QoNRA.png

zcGyXWl.png
S3QoNRA.png
Christians

Дроужиa Миромировa
Druzhina Miromirova [14]
Retinue of Miromirŭ

*Miromirŭ Bogovidichĭ Dubogradĭskyi*
(Leodfrið)
Drugomudrŭ Starichĭskyi
Ingelŭdŭ Starichĭskyi
Kasha Starichĭskyi
Lyutoradŭ Starichĭskyi
Radislavŭ Starichĭskyi
Radŭko Starichĭskyi
Radŭnŭ Starichĭskyi
Voi Starichĭskyi
Voistŭ Starichĭskyi
Vyshemirŭ Starichĭskyi
Yaroslavŭ Starichĭskyi
Yasenĭ Starichĭskyi
&
Olěbŭ Chadoglŭtŭ
(Fyrningas)

Пълкъ Дубоградьскъ
Pŭlkŭ Dubogradĭskŭ [27]
Host of Dubogradŭ

qjg9.png

*Ivanŭ Miromirichĭ*
(Hærger the Clever)
Vyšeslavŭ Voislavičĭ
Konstantinŭ Stonarichĭ
Rogvolod Vladimirovitch
Henka
Miroslavŭ Slavatinŭ
Ratibor
Vebjørn
Torcha
Finnr Ragnarsson
Blago Kadovichĭ
Batushka vseya Rusi
Iliya
Gudimir
Gromobor Chernigovec
Yaroslavichĭ
Gostomysl the wary
Boleslav
Pina Bezborodov
Freelancer_SilentMatthew
KArantukki
Henry
Rene
Kalitorian
Brocki
PeerMoo
Moz
(Public host)

Сѣдичи
Sědichi [10]
Grey Folk

*Libiarŭ*
(Leifr Eiríksson)
Rapier17
Bleddyn dwrn
Aethelwulf
Gibius
Orchid
SirStart
Turambar
Nahkuri
&
Glěbŭ Igorevichĭ
(Hæringar)

Проужане
Pruzhane [9]
Pond Dwellers

*Ostromirŭ Prudĭskyi*
(Wulfgár)
Rado Torchinichĭ
Veliko Prudĭskyi
Boislavŭ Prudĭskyi
Borilo Prudĭskyi
Igorĭ Prudĭskyi
Bakula Prudĭskyi
Lyuta Prudĭskyi
Androgast Prudĭskyi
(Gægningas)

Полѧне
Polyane [20]
Field Dwellers

*Wojslaw*
Dobrowoj
Dobromir
Dragomir
Gniewosz
Slawko
Przemyslaw
Dzirzywuj
Radowit
Jaromir
Bartlomiej
Cirzpibog
Rad
Wilkomir
Mieszko
&
others
(Polanie)

Клѧтичи
Klyatichi [16]
Folk of the Oath

*Ualraig Fer Áraig*
Sithmaith an Enigh
Conán Ó Muraíle
Raghnall Caech
Aedan Bradah
Rían
Diamond
Hunter
Torcuil
Finn Bróen
Rackio
Imar
Gretter Eiderdrake
Cían
Fintan
Blair
(Fir Áraig)

z0md9r9.png

Q8pm7u4.png

oViDQKc.png
Q8pm7u4.png
Pagans

Дроужиa Воиславовa
Druzhina Voislavova [8]
Retinue of Voislavŭ

*Voislavŭ Igorevichĭ Brodĭskyi
(Ubbe Arnarins)
Trěbĭnŭ Bakulovichĭ
Radogostĭ Dragoradovichĭ
Bakula Gordyatinichĭ
Milovidŭ Ivorovichĭ
Luka Alexandrovŭ
Radisa Bakulinichĭ
Svoi Sabanichi
(Skipverjar Arnarins)

Пълкъ Бродьскъ
Pŭlkŭ Brodĭskŭ [26]
Host of Brodŭ

qjg9.png

*Turŭbernŭ Grimichĭ*
(Rallix)
Rurikovich
Svyatosha
Makarko Borodinich
Grimŭ Bozheborichĭ
Vsevolod Rogvolodovich
Oleg Vestyna
Bohdan Bozheborichĭ
Halfdan Thorvaldsson Yngling
Olaf Thorvaldsson Yngling
Skorri Thorvaldsson Yngling
Stigandr Hrolfsson
Dragŭnŭ Němoi
Zlatan Bozheborichĭ
Vok Bozheborichĭ
Jaroslav Rogvolodovich Severusyn
Koika Blatinichĭ
Kochko Blatinichĭ
Koliga Blatinichĭ
Grudy
Momchilo
Úlfr af Vinlandi
Amattagr
Korrvald
Innud af Vinlandi
Bjorn af Vinlandi
(Public host)

Ꙗмичи
Yamichi [50]
Folk of the Ditch

*Ragaslavŭ Vozhĭ*
(Ragnarr Jarl Jómsborg)
Burislaw
Zhitu
Mysleta
Letunu
Furustenu
Borya
Rurik
Vladimir
Dragomer
Drazhi
Gurdrunu
Kolka
Vladislav
Dragunu
Ivan
Obida
Rache
Wraak
Dragomira
Kashika
Starzicha
Igorev
Nedivitu
Valery
Raedo
Drekitry
Sekera
Vladiku
Ostoi
Vitislav
Dmitry
Georgievu
Zvonimir
Piotr
Ljutomir
Rhyslav
Igori
Vlacko
Aepa
Yaroslavu
Skar
Bohuslav
Yuriwan
Dobraku
Dabrowka
Groznata
Bratyslav
Andrei
Vartlav
(Jómsvíkingar)

Ерьличи и Вълчичи
Erĭlichi & Vŭlchichi [11]
Folk of Erĭlŭ & Men of Wolf Kin

*Turŭkotĭlŭ Erĭlichĭskyi* | *Vozhĭ Ubichĭkŭ Vŭlchichĭskyi*
(Þorkell Erlinga) | (Ubba Fenrisbarn)
Konivŭlkŭ Erĭlichĭskyi | Lěsanŭ Vŭlchichĭskyi
Stakhŭ Erĭlichĭskyi | Baleslavŭ Vŭlchichĭskyi
Stirŭ Erĭlichĭskyi | Dirŭ Vŭlchichĭskyi
Volodislavŭ Ratimirŭ
&
Slavjata Vyšatičĭ | Komorŭ
(Erlingar & Fenrisbarn)

Вѧтичи
Vyatichi [5]
Great Folk

*_Claus_*
(Vyatichi)

Víkingr Event: Dněprŭ

When?: Sunday, May 18th, 2014 at 7:00pm BST - Click here for your timezone

Where?: HILDILEIKR

TeamSpeak IP: 176.9.103.48:9986 * make sure to use the port when joining

Mod Version

Members of the public hosts must use the default faction banner and pick the basic Druzhinnik class*

*Unless given explicit permission by their leader

MODE
The event will consist of several rounds of Battle on the new Polěsĭye map, including resets at the discretion of the organizers. After the outcome of the battle has been decided, we will switch to Siege on the new Dubogradŭ map.

SIGN-UP
Non-affiliated players who sign up must state which name they'll be using during the event and which side they wish to fight for, and they will be assigned to one of the public hosts: the Pŭlkŭ Dubogradĭskŭ for the Christians and the Pŭlkŭ Brodĭskŭ for the Pagans. Regular Víkingr clans may sign up as a group and say how many players they expect to bring - this is a serious commitment. If a clan has less than 5 players, they may be merged with another clan or with a public host. Non-Víkingr clans must sign up individually. The organizers of the event will retain the privilege to allocate clans and non-affiliated players to either host for balancing purposes. The special class slots will be assigned by the leaders of each side.

PROMOTION
Feel free to use these signatures to promote the event in this or other forums:
sepk992.gif

Code:
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,302033.0.html][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/sepk992.gif[/IMG][/url]
mwjGBG3.gif

Code:
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,302033.0.html][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mwjGBG3.gif[/IMG][/url]
See also this post for Orchid's smaller signature.
Everyone is encouraged to take screenshots or make recordings of the event itself.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
Thanks to Æþelfrið for creating the main illustration, the first signature and the shields, and to Éadríc for making the maps.

CONTACT
For questions and/or suggestion you are free to post in this thread or send a private forum message to Hroþa Fyrninga, the organizer of this event.​

RECORDINGS

Highlights of the event from the perspective of the Pŭlkŭ Dubogradĭskŭ, by Finnr.
Recording from the point of view of the Pŭlkŭ Dubogradĭskŭ, by Silent Matt.

IMPORTANT - EVENT ITINERARY

7:00 pm BST - Participants should be on the TeamSpeak channel of their host.

7:15-7:25 pm BST - Participants will be given the password and asked to join the server and their team. Clan members turnout and balance will be looked at. Host leaders may want to drill their troops.

7:30 pm BST - The event will officially start.

GETTING A PERIOD NAME

Players and clans are encouraged to get authentic early Old East Slavic names for the event. Please refer to this thread for a list of names and other instructions. Note that the Christian names from that list would be very rare in this period, except among the clergy, and that names of Scandinavian origin should also be used very scarcely. If you want an Old East Slavic name for your Víkingr clan, feel free to contact me via PM.

FURTHER READING

The Russian Primary Chronicle, or, Tale of Bygone Years. Full text, translated and edited by Samuel Hazzard Cross and Olgerd P. Sherbowitz-Wetzor.

Wikipedia entries on Sviatoslav, Yaropolk, Vladimir and the Christianization of Kievan Rus'.

Transcription of the Old East Slavic text of the Laurentian manuscript of the Primary Chronicle. The website is in Ukrainian.

The Tale of Igor's Campaign. A late 12th century epic poem which is the source for the six verses under Æþelfrið's picture. A rare glimpse into Old East Slavic poetry.

Old Russian Online. An Old East Slavic course by Todd B. Krause and Jonathan Slocum.

Fantastic Hroða, and to Æþelfrið for the beautiful illustration.

Harras_banner_scaled.png

*Libiarŭ*
(Leifr Eiríksson)
Rapier17
Bleddyn dwrn
Aethelwulf
Gibius
Orchid
SirStart
Turambar
Nahkuri

Awesome.
Sign me and my people up for the event, and use the name you chose, Hrotha. Thanks!

tRm1lOf.png

*Wulfgár Ecgbeorhtes sunu / Ostromiru Prudiskyi = Can DEFINITELY make it.*
Steinn Bláskeggi Gunnarsson /  Rado Torchavichi = Can DEFINITELY make it.
Sigefriþ Ecghúnes sunu / Veliko Prudiskyi = Can DEFINITELY make it.
Beornwulf Eardwulfes sunu /  Prudiskyi = Unable.
Óswulf Gódwulfes sunu /  Prudiskyi = Unable.
Æþelwulf Léofstánes sunu /  Boislavu Prudiskyi = Can DEFINITELY make it.
Walþeof Æþelwulfes sunu / Borilo Prudiskyi  = Can DEFINITELY make it.
Ridda Haralds sunu / Igori Prudiskyi = Can DEFINITELY make it.
Sigegár Torhtmunds sunu / Bakula Prudiskyi = Maybe.
Ælf Finns sunu / Lyuta Prudiskyi = Can DEFINITELY make it.
Total: 8​

I'll get my lads to get Slavic names.

Cheers,

Impressive, Hróþa! And that drawing is beautiful!

The Erlingar will most likely field 5+ members for a host of our own (unless something else would be more convenient). We would prefer to fight for the side of the thunder god of course.  :wink:
I will be getting response from my brothers and sisters to post a roster in due time, and in the meantime I'm sure you (Hróþa) and I can conjure up some Rus versions of our names.

Splendid thread, Hróða! Being employed in the graphic department I must say has given me a better estimation of the titanic amount of work you've put in this! So a big thank you!

I'm already studying on the Old East Slavic name thread! I better not see any Ragnar Lothbroks around that day!

HolmgårdViking said:
Nice illustration, by the way, Æþelfrið, I really love the artistic inspiration from the Norwegian sagas  :smile:

Haha! Nailed it, Haraldr! Courtesy of Hroþa again, who introduced me to the work of the incomparable Halvdan Egedius! I'm glad you noticed!

Great to hear a new Vikingr event coming. I'll get up a list of the participants for the Druzhina Voislavova ASAP, and get them some nice Rus names.
I already thought of using the name "Trěbĭnŭ Bakulovichĭ" myself, but I am not sure if that's how the patronym works.

First off, might I point out that the decision to write my name in purple is something that deeply confuses me :shock:
Secondly: The thread is absolutely beautiful and I now feel like a complete sloth for just showing up to steal all the glory by leading* the pagans to victory**!
Thirdly: Ragnar wut? 40-50 people? Which side will you be joining anyway?

*And even then I made Jepe deal with gathering the host.
**Victory may or may not be included in the deal*** when you join the pagan side.
***The deal may in fact be a lie****.
****Lies can contain traces of nuts.

I reckon it'll be hard to work out the host balance, as for Sulcoit, so please be patient until you're assigned to a side. But by all means, express your preferences!
KickingJoub said:
First off, might I point out that the decision to write my name in purple is something that deeply confuses me :shock:
Hey, there's really not that many colours to choose from! :razz:
jepekula said:
Great to hear a new Vikingr event coming. I'll get up a list of the participants for the Druzhina Voislavova ASAP, and get them some nice Rus names.
I already thought of using the name "Trěbĭnŭ Bakulovichĭ" myself, but I am not sure if that's how the patronym works.
I think names like Bakula would form their patronyms by adding -in and then -ichĭ, so Trěbĭnŭ Bakulinichĭ should be correct.

What a sight to behold: the presentation, the background information, the extra thread on Russian names, the lovely drawing, everything! Splendid work so far!

I forgot, thank you all for your kind comments, and especially to Æþelfrið, without whom this thread wouldn't have looked half as good.

I'd like to sign up for the side whichever will have less players, I don't mind.

I'll be using the name Вишеслав Воиславић (Višeslav Vojislavić or Vojislavich) a Serbian noble seeking to fight alongside his Orthodox/Pagan brothers.

Marvellous! I am thoroughly overwhelmed by this truly magnificent sight. What news, what joy! Hróþa and also Æþela, I have the deepest respect for the effort and dedication you have put into this. Thank you very, very much for this gorgeous gift to the community. If I am unlucky enough not to be able to partake, I fear I will have a hard time bearing the grief. Let us all honour their great work by attending as numerous as possible and by being on our best behaviour during the event.

Back
Top Bottom