Arena survival - native gamemode

Users who are viewing this thread

What is Arena Survival?

Arena survival is a custom gamemode in wich you are trapped inside an arena, needed to fight waves of enemies. This gamemode is a serverside modification of normal native...in other words, you can play it with normal native mod, without downloading anything. Just open the game and join the server. Details below.

The gamemode structure is like this:
- there are 20 waves(30 are planned in total for future)
- each 5 wave is a boss wave
- players respawn after each wave
- after each wave, your health is regenerated
- inbetween levels there is a waiting time of 30 seconds(half minute)
- there is a small level up system, each level increasing your stats
- at level 4 you receive a special ability: shield bash. To use it, you need to press the kick button. You can toggle between kick and shield bash(look down for controls)
- there is a small shop system, wich allows players to buy items, but only inbetween waves (you can't buy things during waves)

To start off, first go and pick up the first team (Nord faction), then choose a troop (scouts are not working, but if choosed, acts like archers), then choose your equipment.

The controls:
First go into options -> controls and make sure that "Select order 1", "Select order 2" and the rest of them are binded to F1, F2 and so on.

If you press on F1 or F2 or F3, they will bring up some small menues, in left up part of the screen. Menu F1 and F2 are for shops, and F3 are for player stats. Ignore the text that is written there.

To see your stats, open up the third menu (F3), then press on first option (F1). This will show all your current stats.
To toggle between shield bash and kick, open up third menu (F3), then press on second option (F2).

The shop lists (I'll add more stuffs to buy later) are set to F1 and F2.

Here is a map of menues options:
F1:
  1.refill ammo - 200
  2.repair wielded shield - 200
F2:
  1. Huscarl's round shield - 400
  2. Normal Spear - 200
  3. Jarids - 560
  4. Great Long Axe - 660
  5. Sword of War - 1500
  6. Elite Scimitar - 400
F3:
  1.See current stats
  2.Toggle between kick and shield bash
  3.Cheer

So if you want to buy Sword of War, you hit F2 then F5.
Warning: when you buy an item, all empty recipients(like arrows, bolts, javelins) are lost. Make sure to refill before buying something.

The normal spear is throwable. To do that, press X, then use it as a javelin (when you throw the spear, it will not show up correctly in hand; also you can recover it, even if it hited an enemy). You can then switch back to melee if you want, by pressing X again.

The Great Hammer weapon can act like thor's hammer :grin: . You can toggle it to be throwable or not, and after you throw it, with empty hands attack up. The hammer should come back to you, autoequpping and autowielding.

You can now poll to change your faction. Make sure that faction 1 is NOT Khergit Khanate faction, because it will count as invalid and you will not be able to poll again!!

There is only one map, and that is The Arena map. In the middle of the arena, there are barrels arranged in a semicircle shape.

Server info:
Name: Arena_survival
Max players: 16
Gamemode: team deathmach
Polls: kick, change factions
Hosted: EU, France

Rules:
1. Don't use names with bad words in them.
2. Don't insult/talk dirty with other players.
3. Don't abuse bugs (if you found one, report it here).
4. Don't use cheats/hacks.

If you find any bugs, pm me or post it here.

Feedback is apreciated.

Source code: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0319uq01n03d1h8/1.157_-_hero_survival.zip
You can use the source code as you wish (treat this code as OSP). Giving credits is not necessary but is a nice thing to do.

Good to see 27 days revived, a bit.

It was pretty good on my first try, but I do have a few gripes.

-The map itself. To be honest, I would love to see more than one, and one with a bit more refuge for archers.
-The barrels. They really serve no point as people keep randomly hacking them down out of boredom.
-I miss wearing clothes. Although the naked berserker thing is an interesting touch, I miss the old system of leveling. up.

Overall though, it's very good. My only realy gripe is it being in France, but I've played on worse ping.

Zarayna said:

-The map itself. To be honest, I would love to see more than one, and one with a bit more refuge for archers.
-The barrels. They really serve no point as people keep randomly hacking them down out of boredom.
-I miss wearing clothes. Although the naked berserker thing is an interesting touch, I miss the old system of leveling. up.

Overall though, it's very good. My only realy gripe is it being in France, but I've played on worse ping.

Good to see you :grin:

I am not good at making maps, but making a map for this mod is very simple:
- spawn point 0 is players spawn point
- spawn points 32 - 38 are for enemies
- barrels and boxes with var 1 = 1 are destructible
- also don't forget about AI mesh

I was having in mind that players will gonna stay in the middle, and protect the 3 paths of entering in the middle, and the bots randomly will destroy those barrels...i'll remove them...or i'll see what i can do.

The current system of leveling up does not save your stats after you exit the server, because it is "designed" so that you will level up, higher waves needing a higher level (or something like that).

I tried it yesterday evening and it was fun. Some thoughts from this first try:

- Difficulty should increase more progressively, but I guess in the 30 waves version it will be a lot smoother. Also, I don't like the "each 5 wave is a boss wave" system.
- Levelling should be more progressive too, with more levels and less bonus with each one.
- More maps would be nice.
- I agree with Zarayna about the clothes. Maybe we could buy some via the shop system.
- More bots per wave would be nice too. It quite doesn't feel like "waves" at the moment. Or maybe the number of bots could vary according to the number of players, I don't know if it's really possible to do this.

These are just my opinion of course. Anyway, that's a really positive and promising start :grin:

Only one group I played with kept destroying the barrels, subsequent joiners didn't do it and actually left them intact.
What might be good is to have server messages explaining how everything works when you join. Many of the people playing on the server don't know how to buy weapons or cheer.
I am always a fan of server side modifications, because it requires a little bit out of the box thingy and I think you did great by using the bot commands for the shop!
I hope to see more interesting waves in the future and perhaps bosses.
As a last note, it would probably increase the atmosphere if the enemies actually walked up to a portcullis that raises for them and closes behind them. It would feel more like an Arena, and it gives a couple of seconds for the team to find out where the enemy is attacking from and what sort of units they will be facing.

Suggestions:

-Make armor available
-Display all commands by pressing F1 for example, and make a global message telling how the players can get help
-Barrels unbreakable (because nutheads)

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'll make the barrels unbreakable, make the armors available and increase the starting gold(for buying armor) to 2000.
In the welcome message there is a short url that leads to this page.

When i start doing this mod, i was thinking about gates/doors that opens, then enemies come in, then all bots rush into the arena, but I think that this will bring in lots of bugs like bots stuck behind the gate or stuffs like that. Maybe I'll do this in future...

Edit: I've made armors available, barrels unbreakable.

Perhaps like this;

face their spawnpoints towards inside, then command them after spawning to move 100 forwards based on their relative position. Check on the entry point to see if none of the bots are within 100 and then start closing the gate.
Also put a barrier at the entrance so nobody can get in whilst the gate is raised.

The_dragon said:
Zarayna said:

Good to see you :grin:

I am not good at making maps, but making a map for this mod is very simple:
- spawn point 0 is players spawn point
- spawn points 32 - 38 are for enemies
- barrels and boxes with var 1 = 1 are destructible
- also don't forget about AI mesh

I was having in mind that players will gonna stay in the middle, and protect the 3 paths of entering in the middle, and the bots randomly will destroy those barrels...i'll remove them...or i'll see what i can do.

The current system of leveling up does not save your stats after you exit the server, because it is "designed" so that you will level up, higher waves needing a higher level (or something like that).

Yeah, that sounds good in theory, and it actually did work like that a few times (I never saw an AI destroying a barrel though...) but people are people.

I played it, and the armor is definitely a nice touch. It at least makes it a little weirder. Frankly, though, I miss the healing mats and the arrow boxes. One of these days I'll get the hang of these newfangled command keys, though. :razz:

Random thought for the future; will there be a time when we can play as other factions besides Nord?

Zarayna said:
Random thought for the future; will there be a time when we can play as other factions besides Nord?

Any faction works; it only needs a little touch in the poll script, so that you can't vote for team 2 other factions than the invader.

EDIT: Now you can poll for a new faction. First go to submit poll->submit for faction and map. THne choose a random map (it is automatically binded to map arena) and then choose what faction you want to play with (make sure that you NOT choose faction Khergit Khanate) and for faction 2, again choose random (it is automatically binded to khergit).

would it be possible to add a system in which AI agents are increased judging by the amount of people playing? It gets too easy with more than 6 peoples playing on the server.

Overgaul said:
would it be possible to add a system in which AI agents are increased judging by the amount of people playing? It gets too easy with more than 6 peoples playing on the server.

It actually is increasing...
Bots number = ((wave number * 1.5) * num players ) + 8

mmm actually, as the majority of players are not well-versed in killing tons of bots, it's balanced. ^^

We managed to kill the Hired Assassin twice today. He's one tough guy, even at level 4 he glanced swords of war as if it was nothing. We only managed to beat him through repeated shieldbashing, spamming greatswords and several jarid throwers at high levels too. Ilike the challenge :smile:

The reflective teamdamage with ranged weapons is annoying though. The bossfight of wave 10 had just triggered and I was at a high level, about to throw a jarid at the boss, when a teammate without armour jumped into the thrown weapon and got me insta-killed. I was at that point the only player capable of taking on the Hired Assassin (simply because I was one of the few higher levelled ones with a decent weapon that can actually harm him) and that killed our victory (not saying we wouldn't have failed if I was alive, but still).

Perhaps that's worth looking into? Otherwise, a mighty fine server!

Back
Top Bottom